Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

In my the hunt for a Vantage.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:39 AM
JvMorrow is on a distinguished road
In my the hunt for a Vantage.

About a month and a half ago I started my search for an Aston Martin. I have driven a couple and I liked the sport shift but I thoroughly enjoy manual. "Unfortunately" I got engaged and we are moving into a bigger house together so my budget has been degraded with the wedding and everything else. So instead of an Vantage S or dreaming of finding a nice v12, I am still lucky enough to shop around for a Vantage.

I am not in a big rush to get a car immediately with everything else going on, but I would like to find the right car. It has to be manual and hopefully white but I would take black or silver as well. Anyways my question is.

Obviously there is a different between the 06-08 and the 09+, the price, the engine and other smaller differences. I recently exchanged emails with Bamford Rose, and they are looking into having someone in the US market, so this is also weighing in on my decision. Also upgrading with RSC, instead of the aston martin power packs.

My questions are:
What is the differences between the N400 and N420 cars? 06-08 have the N400? and 09+ have the N420?
Can either models be upgraded to the N420, is it worth it and what does it entail?

Ive driven a 4.3 and a 4.7 I notice the difference slightly but I live in the south Florida in the city. The car will never be tracked or raced. I enjoy the beauty of the car and the way it sounds. BUT I also love a project and enjoy "tinkering" or modding things to my personal preference. I saw what vince did to his 4.3 Vantage with the help of Bamford Rose upgrading the engine and such and with the 10-17k I could potentially save by buying a 4.3 over a newer 4.7 model, I was also of thinking of doing that instead later down the road when Bamford was in the US and my bank accounts were not being drained exponential by the current events going on in my life. There do not seem to be very many manual transmissions on the market as well, thankful with everything else going on currently I have the patience to wait for the right car to appear.

I ordered the guide to Gaydon era Aston Martin, last night. I appreciate any input everyone can give me.

Last edited by JvMorrow; 08-01-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Grant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really niceGrant3 is just really nice
Hi Morrow, thanks for buying the guide.
At the time of launch the 4.3 N400 was unique, it came with a range of exterior additions (the wider side sills, clear rear lenses, unique paint options, etc) was fully loaded with optional extras and most importantly had the sports suspension and powerkit upgrade (for the 4.3) as standard. This wasn't available on other 4.3's at that time, but you can now retro-fit pretty much all those features to a standard 4.3, this makes it less unique, but it is still the pick of the 4.3's if you like the sports suspension (you mentioned not being a racer so test drive a car with the firmer set-up and see if you like it)!

N400's tend to be over priced near to 4.7 money and the 4.7 is a MUCH better car overall. Aside from the engine upgrade (and even if you don't use the max power the mid-range thrust is much greater, so ideal for your city driving) the car was thoroughly re-engineered including the new much more modern centre console, improved functions and options, improvements to the suspension, steering, gearchange, clutch, brakes, build quality etc, etc.

If you can afford a 4.7 it's worth the extra, but on the other hand an early 4.3 will depreciate little, what I would not do is buy the newest 4.3 that is nearest 4.7 money!

The N420 is basically a 4.7 Vantage with all the sports options already bolted on (sports suspension, exhaust, carbon exterior additions, wide sills, clear lights etc etc). Aside from the unique exterior paint options and unique N420 plaques etc, you can spec a standard car to be the same. If you want all the carbon and sports bits a used one can offer value, if not get a standard 4.7 with the right bits.

I did this in a bit of rush, as I'm late for a meet, but hope it helps, you will LOVE the Aston feel good factor and I'm sure you will get lots of great advice from this forum the guys all know their Aston's.
Best of Luck
G