Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Windshield Replacement - Constant Squeaking Thereafter

Old 08-14-2012, 01:47 AM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
Windshield Replacement - Constant Squeaking Thereafter

Hey everyone,

I recently had my windshield replaced by the dealer because of a rock chip/crack. Anyhow, I immediately noticed an almost constant rubbing/squeaking/snapping/popping sound coming from the plastic windshield vents (you know those plastic pieces right between your windshield and leather panels). In case I'm not describing it correctly, the noise is almost identical to when you turn on the AC and stuff starts to crack and pop and make a few noises because of the temperature change. But this happens all the time now with the slightest movement of the car.

Anyhow, I tried tightening the 4 philip screws that appears to hold the plastic vents in place. But that doesn't help. Since this constant and annoying noise only started after the windshield got replaced, I know it's related to the windshield. My guess is that for some reason the windshield is now sitting closer or somehow rubbing against the plastic vents.

Anyone ever have to deal with this?

Old 08-14-2012, 05:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I've never had this on a Asont, but have had on other vehicles a concern just like this after the front windscreen was replaced. The glas installer uses rubber shims to get the correct height of the windscreen when he presses on the glass to seal with the urethane. The rubber spacers are not something he just throws in, they actually come installed from the factory on Aston, and can be ordered from parts..none-the-less, if a rubber spacer is not firmly pressed, it can cause a rubber squeal vibration noise at times..solution is to remove the glass and access the rubber spacer shim that is a concern, either remove it or coat it with urethane and refit.

Not saying this is your concern, butif this all happened after the glass install, I would return and have them diagnose it..

Old 08-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Thansk for the reply Irish. Car is back with the dealership. I drove it around with them and the sweaking noises definitely appear to be coming from the plast vent area. The technician believes it's originating dead center behind the center speaker. They are going to remove the center console area and see if installing some felt lining between the console and plastic air vents does anything. They said that when the windshield was replaced, something might have gotten moved around up there. Anyhow, they obviously seem to want to fix whatever it is they can without removing/replacing the windshield again....that piece of glass was $1,900

Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 PM
A few folks have been curious about the cost of a windshield replacement. So, here's the break down of what I paid giong through my local AM dealer:

Windshield: $1,900
Rubber mounting: $70
Labor: 4.5 hours (for me that came out to just over $800)

TOTAL: Very pissed of insurance company as the glass cannot be purchased by your average glass shop....my insurance tried procuring this glass through non-dealer sources and had no luck. The insurance was also pissed that my dealer charged their normal shop rate for this.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Yikes! So, in the end, who footed the bill; you or the insurance company?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Wow close to 4 grand for a windshield replacement!! Remind me to stomp on the gas extra fast to get around those dumptrucks spewing rocks going down the highway!!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:42 AM
The insurace company, minus my deductible.

There was pretty much no alternative. The glass company that does the installs for my insurance said they wouldn't touch my car, even if they were able to procure the glass....something about a special process to ensure that the glass sets.

Also, after the install, my dealer said the car was not allowed to be moved, doors opened or put on a lift, etc. for 24 hours. My insurance claimed all that was unnecessary, but in the end they paid.

Originally Posted by karlfranz
Yikes! So, in the end, who footed the bill; you or the insurance company?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by sunir
Wow close to 4 grand for a windshield replacement!! Remind me to stomp on the gas extra fast to get around those dumptrucks spewing rocks going down the highway!!
Actually, just under $3,000 but expensive nonetheless.

And now with all the resulting squeaks and rattles, in hindsight I might have just lived with the small crack/chip which was repaired rather nicely. I really just wanted the windshield replaced because of all the hard water spots that I could not remove from the glass....previous owner must have parked the car outside or something in the rain. I tried every product out there, including window polish, CLR, you name it. So now no hard water spots, but other annoyances to deal with.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I had always heard that windshields were replaced with no deductible. Maybe it's a urban myth

BTW, here's the best way to remove the water spots: while the windshield is completely dry, scrub it with a pad of 0000 (4 ought) steel wool. It's an old detailer's secret and it will not scratch your glass. Just recently did this on my DD's windshield and was amazed at how clean and shiny it got.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I had always heard that windshields were replaced with no deductible. Maybe it's a urban myth

BTW, here's the best way to remove the water spots: while the windshield is completely dry, scrub it with a pad of 0000 (4 ought) steel wool. It's an old detailer's secret and it will not scratch your glass. Just recently did this on my DD's windshield and was amazed at how clean and shiny it got.
Thanks for the tip Karl. I'll keep that in mind if I ever develop water spots in the future.

As for the insurance, my windshield was covered under the comprehensive portion of my policy (subject to my deductible). Not sure if things vary by insurance or perhaps state laws. Either way, for once I feel that having insurance paid off, as my deductivle is only $300

Old 09-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Just thought I'd update the forum on this issue. About 3 weeks ago, I had my front windshield replaced. Thereafter, there has been a constant squeaking and rattling coming from the front dash area (where the dash and windshield seem to meet).

My local AM dealer has had my car for about 2 weeks now trying to get to the bottom of this. They ordered a replacement windshield, but still the same problem. Now a third windshield is being ordered and an AM regional rep is being called in.

At almost $2k per windshield, this is getting to be a pretty expensive repair for a replacement that appears pretty commonplace. The problem appears to be in the amount of urethane adhesive that is being used OR the manner in which it is being applied. If you use too little or if the urethane spreads too much as you press the glass down, it impacts the depth at which the glass sits on the frame...enought to cause it to rub against the dash and constantly squeak and rattle whenever the car moves.

Has anyone here ever dealt with something similar?

Irish, what are these factory installed "rubber shims" that you mentioned in response to my earlier post? My local AM dealer believes that the only parts required are the glass and the rubber mounting that goes all around the windshield. If you could perhaps provide me with a AM part number, I would be eternally grateful.

I would have to say though that my local AM dealer has stepped up and taken care of me. They obviously haven't charged me for all the additional windshields they seem to be going through...plus they've had almost all of their AM techs working on my car...and they have provided me with a brand-new Jag as a loaner. But I really just want my car back (without the noise)

Old 09-19-2012, 04:55 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Damn, sorry to hear all these problems with your windshield. Note to self: always protect your windshield!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
The shims or can be called spacers goes between the windscreen and the body..you put the shims/spacers that are small rubber things on the body side, coat the body side with the urethane and drop in the windscreen..it's really a no brainer..and you get the correct installed windscreen height that was spec'd from the factory..the shims aren't aftermarket..there in the AM parts manual on the same page as the windscreen...I've had a rubber squeek noise from these rubber shims, guy installing windscreen didn't put urethane over the rubber piece and the rubber chaffes on the windscreen, which gets a dry rubber rubbing on glass kinda noise.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
I had "Crystal Fusion" applied to the Windshield on my Vantage. About a year ago I had a passing truck toss a rock that hit the upper right area of my windshild with a loud, "thwack". I was sure it put a crack in my windshield and hoped it could be repaired--not replaced. When I stopped to check, I could find a little rock-dust where the rock hit, but only the smallest amount of glass-scratch, not even enough to require repair. Click on "Durability" under the video.

http://www.cftproducts.com/

Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
I had "Crystal Fusion" applied to the Windshield on my Vantage. About a year ago I had a passing truck toss a rock that hit the upper right area of my windshild with a loud, "thwack". I was sure it put a crack in my windshield and hoped it could be repaired--not replaced. When I stopped to check, I could find a little rock-dust where the rock hit, but only the smallest amount of glass-scratch, not even enough to require repair. Click on "Durability" under the video.

http://www.cftproducts.com/
Thanks for sharing Dicktahoe - I will definitely look into this (once my windshield is finally taken care of)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement - Constant Squeaking Thereafter