Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Back in the fold....N420

Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by riverflyer
I notice my exhaust kicks to full voice at 3200 rpms as well. I have seldom had cars that changing out the exhaust was not one of the first items on the list, but this car sounds awesome. Really barks on start up and is such a rich sound. Not sure what hi flo cats will do to it, but they are part of list under consideration. As I mentioned RSC tune and filters first and then I will see what else, if anything.
Get the cats ... Cranks the volume to 11 ... does change the character somewhat ... makes it even more aggressive ... like there's a British Steel Monster under the hood that chews up old MGs and Minis and spits them out the tail pipes when you drop the pedal

Old 08-27-2012, 11:13 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aston.Ca
like there's a British Steel Monster under the hood that chews up old MGs and Minis and spits them out the tail pipes when you drop the pedal
holy $hit! play a clip and lets hear before and after! would love to see the difference!

Old 08-27-2012, 03:18 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gekko
Would love to see some closeup shots of how the carbon wrap turned out (around the front grill)
Here's the best shot I have. I thought of having a clear coat applied to the wrap so the sheen matches the clear coated front lip.

Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2012, 03:23 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Get the cats ... Cranks the volume to 11 ... does change the character somewhat ... makes it even more aggressive ... like there's a British Steel Monster under the hood that chews up old MGs and Minis and spits them out the tail pipes when you drop the pedal
Good one, love the Brit Steel monster idea!
Do you have a clip? Would love to hear it as well.
I have one but it only revs to 4k(break in and all)

Old 08-27-2012, 03:27 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
They made another british steel monster that was supposed to be great, but it hit an iceburg and sank

lets hope the aftermarekt cats are gonna be bette of steel monster

post some sound clips lets hear!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Lol, I brought a cam to my Dyno sessions expressly with the intention of having before and after comparisons to post. I positioned my son behind the car (with ear protection!) to shoot the vids. Unfortunately, while the before was captured accurately, the after was so loud that the cam mic was completely maxed out by around 3000 rpm so there was nothing to hear but static and fuzz. Was v disappointed with that result but, in retrospect, not surprised given the dbs involved.

For a cam positioned in front of the car you can check out CJPatel's before and after. He posted that after I'd already bought mine (but had not yet installed). I listened to others before purchasing but even so, but I was unprepared for the enormous increase in volume. The sound is narsty! You should really hear it in person (see my comments on Leo1's recent thread about the typical reactions you get re: the sound of the car from other enthusiasts). Maybe if you email Stuart, he can find someone near you who had them installed so you can check it out in person. Or Sunir, the next time you make a pilgrimage out to Mosport, drop me a line .

Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Lol, I brought a cam to my Dyno sessions expressly with the intention of having before and after comparisons to post. I positioned my son behind the car (with ear protection!) to shoot the vids. Unfortunately, while the before was captured accurately, the after was so loud that the cam mic was completely maxed out by around 3000 rpm so there was nothing to hear but static and fuzz. Was v disappointed with that result but, in retrospect, not surprised given the dbs involved.

For a cam positioned in front of the car you can check out CJPatel's before and after. He posted that after I'd already bought mine (but had not yet installed). I listened to others before purchasing but even so, but I was unprepared for the enormous increase in volume. The sound is narsty! You should really hear it in person (see my comments on Leo1's recent thread about the typical reactions you get re: the sound of the car from other enthusiasts). Maybe if you email Stuart, he can find someone near you who had them installed so you can check it out in person. Or Sunir, the next time you make a pilgrimage out to Mosport, drop me a line .

Could you post a clip of your current setup so I could hear that?

Anyone have headers with hi flo cats?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Sure, I'll try a couple of other cams and see whether they capture it properly.

Edit - just realized that the N420 is likely not compatible with the standalone cats that RSC offers. Check w Stuart, the RSC site states MY 06-11 MY but I think 11+ is not compatible based on his post here. Good news is though that it looks like headers and cats are one the way for 11+.

Last edited by Aston.Ca; 08-28-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Sure, I'll try a couple of other cams and see whether they capture it properly.

Edit - just realized that the N420 is likely not compatible with the standalone cats that RSC offers. Check w Stuart, the RSC site states MY 06-11 MY but I think 11+ is not compatible based on his post here. Good news is though that it looks like headers and cats are one the way for 11+.

I have been in touch with Stuart and have the filters and tune going on the car soon. Since the car has only 1100 miles on it, waiting to see what the local dealer has to say about headers and cats as part of my decision process. Hearing volume/tone would be super helpful though so if you get a chance, please do a clip. John