Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Size DOES matter!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 AM
MI6
MI6 is on a distinguished road
Size DOES matter!

With the collective knowledge of the group here- which wheel and tire combination is optimal for the V8V? Have the guys running 20" had any long term issues or rubbing/fouling? Is a wider 19" application like the V12V not a safer way to go? And what is the lightest solution available while still looking good enought to go on one of the worlds most Beutiful cars?
I'm on Stock 7 spokes currently and looking to upgrade...

Old 09-19-2012, 11:25 AM
AstonMartin has a spectacular aura aboutAstonMartin has a spectacular aura about
I would go with an aggressive 19" wheel. Just aesthetically 20's begin to look like too much!

Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 AM
MichaelD will become famous soon enough
Agree, it's a fairly small car, 20" wheels make it look like tiny and out of proportion

Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
It's a matter of opinion. I think 19s look small on the Vantage, 21s are too large but 20s are perfect.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
19's look perfect.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:17 PM
MichaelD will become famous soon enough
You do have to think that Aston would have put 20" wheels on the V12V if they thought they worked, both technically and aesthetically. But they stayed with 19" for both reasons

Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MichaelD
You do have to think that Aston would have put 20" wheels on the V12V if they thought they worked, both technically and aesthetically. But they stayed with 19" for both reasons
Not being an a$$ but, how would you know that? 19 vs. 20 aesthetically speaking is a matter of opinion..... 19 vs. 20 technically speaking aren't much different in terms of tire height but sidewall IS much different (maybe AM is not wanting warranty issues with bent wheels?). IF, it's a weight argument, there should be ways to make the weight of a 20 = to the weight of the current 19 especially on a nearly $200k V12V..... No?

Additionally, make marques these days offer a 19 and a 20 option on new cars. AM know something the others do not?

Old 09-29-2012, 01:19 PM
MI6
MI6 is on a distinguished road
The Idea of a 20 seems cool. I was even thinking of getting a set of the split5 DBS wheels (drop a line if any ones looking to sell)... but then Ive never been a fan of the super thin sidewall look... and correct me if wrong= are'nt wider 20 inch wheels posing a clearance issue once the car is lowered?

Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
Doesn't mean that necessarily. Not going to speak for other manufacturers but our made to spec wheels never rub, never have clearance issues with any and every brake calipers our customers have on their cars.

That being said, if anyone is in for a lightweight forged wheel, custom machined for specific uses, let us know.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 PM
groutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura about
I've owned and raced a number of performance cars. The reason for 19 inch wheels is a compromise between aesthetics and performance. Any hardcore racer will tell you that the smaller diameter wheels provide significantly better traction from a performance aspect. It's not just the width and tread design, but also the sidewall that affects your tires performance.
The general car buying public is currently infatuated with ever increasing wheel diameters, so most manufacturers are accomodating for the visual appeal. But realistically, most performance car engineers would probably prefer to maintain the 18-19 inch diameters.
If you investigate the specifications of most race series, it would appear that 17 or 18 inch diameters are the prefered sizes.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:46 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i've got factory-option 19" wheels on mine and i think they're perfect. 20s tend to look too large. 21s are just goofy, in my opinion. i like having some meat on the side of the tire. keeps it from looking like this:

btw, AM's GTE car for ALMS runs 18s...

FRONT – 12.5” X 18”
REAR - 13” X 18”

Last edited by telum01; 10-17-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by groutguy
I've owned and raced a number of performance cars. The reason for 19 inch wheels is a compromise between aesthetics and performance. Any hardcore racer will tell you that the smaller diameter wheels provide significantly better traction from a performance aspect. It's not just the width and tread design, but also the sidewall that affects your tires performance.
The general car buying public is currently infatuated with ever increasing wheel diameters, so most manufacturers are accomodating for the visual appeal. But realistically, most performance car engineers would probably prefer to maintain the 18-19 inch diameters.
If you investigate the specifications of most race series, it would appear that 17 or 18 inch diameters are the prefered sizes.
Prolly true for all out race cars but how many street cars actually see the track (and if they are, is there a separate set of dedicated track wheels/tires?) let alone are ever pushed to that extreme on street..... aesthetics are a matter of opinion.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:42 AM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
That's all true, but you don't buy an Aston Martin and then look in for increasing it's track performance. Not with the usual street legal models. Some of our customers and friends who have Aston's simply roll Ariel Atoms, KTM X-Bows, Lotus Elises and such as their track only cars. And with an Aston you are driving it for comfort, looks, sound and feel. Not for shaving off 0.1 seconds of your lap times. But that's just me talking here.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:44 PM
groutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura aboutgroutguy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by One@D2Forged
That's all true, but you don't buy an Aston Martin and then look in for increasing it's track performance. Not with the usual street legal models. Some of our customers and friends who have Aston's simply roll Ariel Atoms, KTM X-Bows, Lotus Elises and such as their track only cars. And with an Aston you are driving it for comfort, looks, sound and feel. Not for shaving off 0.1 seconds of your lap times. But that's just me talking here.
As others have said before, it's all a matter of personal preference. That's why it's great to have aftermarket vendors for exhausts, engine performance, wheels, tires, body enhancements, etc,.
That's also the reason why there are numerous car manufacturers. If you can't enjoy personalizing your car (speed, looks, sound or otherwise), there's no sense buying it. Personally; if I'm buying a sports car, it's so I can drive it like a sports car. And the only place you can truly experience a high end sports cars' abilities is on the track.
I also enjoy looking at visual modifications on other cars, including many with larger wheel and tire combinations. All of these things are extremely personal to the people that own them, so please don't bash me for wanting to drive my V12V for what it was designed for.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Comparing a sports car w a GT car...my GT2 Porsche came w 18x9 f and 18x12 r ... DB9 came w 19" forged sport wheels, which I think are perfect for that car in terms of looks, performance, and ride quality... I think 18 or 17 are perfect for performance and racing ... I use 17" on my race car with Hoosier R6 or an 18" with Dunlop, yoko, or michelin slicks depending on the track and series/rulebook.