Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2013 DB9: Redesign and slight price cut

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:41 PM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
2013 DB9: Redesign and slight price cut

http://www.insideline.com/aston-mart...ore-power.html

It appears that those of you who predicted that the now discontinued Virage would resurface were right.

I think this is a sign that Aston knows it needs to do a lot more to stay competitive. Price cuts (though $4k is insignificant on a car that costs $200k+) are a tiny step in the right direction but the real key will be improving content across all models.

The 2013 Vantage is a good example of this in that it costs a bit less but offers many of the 2011-2012 Vantage S features. I still think that more is needed though.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
It's basically a virage with a DBS rear ducktail spoiler and exhaust and tune on the bread and butter 6L V12. I don't think Aston has really worked hard to produce the '13 DB9 ... Not much innovation, or thought.... This is not a new car it's bits from here and there. It's disappointing, in my opinion the DB9 deserves better treatment then that in a redesign. I think Aston worked very hard, were Innovative, and really stepped out of their comfort zone, and spent the time to make the original DB9... It was perfect and still is to this date and is the basis for all modern VH platform cars out of Gaydon. The only other time Aston really worked and innovated was the one77, other then that they pieced new models using basically an existing model, for example the DBS built from the DB9 or the v12 zegato as basically a reskinned v12 vantage etc... AML needs to do better, I personally am not jumping up and down to buy a new Aston, it's basically the same as the DB9 sitting in my garage... Why bother...what's the point especially the new DB9... My money is better spent at Ferrari, lambo, or mclaren.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:49 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sunir
I think Aston worked very hard, were Innovative, and really stepped out of their comfort zone, and spent the time to make the original DB9... It was perfect and still is to this date and is the basis for all modern VH platform cars out of Gaydon.
I'm also disappointed as to Aston's continued refreshing as opposed to redesigning but, regarding their previous work on the original DB9, keep in mind that those were the Ford days. Unfortunately, Aston doesn't have those deep pockets anymore, which is part of the problem.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ this is an excellent point, very true yet still I think Aston needs to do better with new models. The Vantage and DB9 are the premise for every modern Aston made thereafter (excluding one77 supercar), each one a sort of bits and pieces derrivative from these two cars.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
agree

Old 09-19-2012, 01:20 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Basically guts of the V12 Vantage shoved into the updated Virage looking DB9.

I agree not monumental change, but it shows they at least recognize they need to keep up with the competition and they know it's the sign of the times.

Smart move, virtually no costs required to creat a new model, they just took the best bits of three different models and put it all in one superior package.

I say two thumbs up.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Smart move, virtually no costs required to creat a new model, they just took the best bits of three different models and put it all in one superior package.
Curious: what bits from the new car do you think are from the V12V that weren't also in either the old DB9 or old Virage?

Note, the engine is not the same as the V12V even though it might have the same HP.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:25 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Curious: what bits from the new car do you think are from the V12V that weren't also in either the old DB9 or old Virage?

Note, the engine is not the same as the V12V even though it might have the same HP.
Exactly. The 'new' DB9 has no 'bits' from the V12V. All of its 'bits' are from the DB9/Virage/DBS.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
So, you essentially get a Virage with the revised V12, DBS hp and more torque than the previous DB9, Virage or DBS, for a whole lot less money. Or, you get a DB9 with Virage looks, 40 more hp, 14 lbs-ft more torque, and (expensive) carbon-ceramic brakes for slightly less money than the current DB9. Not so bad...

Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
IMO the DB9 needs to start around 165k-170k range to really be competitive.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dan87951
IMO the DB9 needs to start around 165k-170k range to really be competitive.

Why??? It's gorgeous. It's beautifully built, mostly by hand, and the craftsmanship is exquisite. It has a stunning interior. It's rare. It has a glorious V12, now with 510hp. It handles extremely well. It's a true exotic. It's an Aston Martin through and through -- it's not built on the platform of, nor does it share engines with, some other more mainstream car. It's a lot of money, but why shouldn't it be priced near $200K? IMO, it's very fairly priced.