Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin Buying, I have Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Tyler W Larson is on a distinguished road
Aston Martin Buying, I have Questions

Hello community! I need a little guidance. Come spring, I am purchasing a vehicle under $90k and I have not yet determined the exact car. I am engaging interest into purchasing an Aston Martin. I will purchase it in early spring and sell it by fall. As I choose an Aston Martin, I would like to see getting into a 08'+ DB9 or settling with a Vantage 4.7L.

My story; I am 22 years old. I am a dealership general manager, we specialize in affordable preowned of $20k and less. I have never dealt with exotics or specialized imports until now, now owning a C63 AMG. In our area, there is a an exotic community but the scene is very private and the retail market isn't seen. As my position within the dealership allows availability to wholesale tools to buy and sell, I still would like some guidance with doing research on this big of a purchase.

My concerns begin with the resale value of an Aston Martin, and what ascetics it's value bases on.

1. Convertible or Coupe have more market potential? There are less coupes than convertibles. Is the market a convertible market or is the coupe a more preferred body-style. What remains to be the more valued?

2. Color is important to whom is purchasing a vehicle of these standards. What color is to grab the most Aston market, what color has to most unique and value, and what color is to stay away from?

3. Mileage is going to be above average for the price I am shopping. The V8 is pretty standard so I wont concern a lot about the Vantage. The V12 is my concern. Would 30k, 40k, 60k turn most DB9 buyers off? If so, if documenting interval servicing is completed to spec, and condition is top notch can the buyers be convinced when saving the dollar between low and high miles? What is the general rule of thumb for Aston Martin owners in value and mileage (example: every 1k miles = $1,000)?

4. Transmission, which is more valued and/or preferred?

5. Market availability, Resale, & Demand. I live in South Dakota, Aston Martin is very unique for the market and never available for sale. The Chicago or Denver area becomes the next closest market for the cars. What areas are heavy with competition and do they sit or do they sell quick?

6. What influences a buyer on an Aston Martin?

I respect anyones two-cents!
Thanks,
Tyler W Larson

Last edited by Tyler W Larson; 12-06-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 AM
JDB727 is on a distinguished road
Hi there

I can only answer to you on the first 4 questions, as I live in Europe. Having said that, I hope the elements I throw in will help you out and give some momentum to your post

I'd advise you to go for a 4.7L or a V8S rather than for a DB9. There is little difference between the two models of the vantage, but the DB9 is taking a massive hit in pricing in Europe due to numerous cars on the secondary market, following the new DB9 model as well as the virage (to a lesser extend)

Mileage is an important parameter on our side of the ocean, as Astons are rather a second drive car. Anything with high mileage (ie above 3k kms pa) is definitively priced with a discount by potential buyers. It has nothing to do with the engine robustness, but it's just a market parameter to take into account when purchasing a second hand car

Preference is for a manual gear box, as far as V8 are concerned, as the sportshift 1st generation is rather slow, not to mention the poor quality of the clutch...which you might have to change quiet quickly if previous owners have done a lot of city driving. Budget for this part is quiet high (in Europe, 4keur) so do check this prior to purchasing. Check also any corrosion issues, as a number of Astons are suffering from that.

Color is important. You basically have the two sides of the coin. Some buyers will only go for the black or grey exterior color, with black leather while others will want to stand out a go for more "distinctive" colors.

Given that you don't apparently plan to own the car for long, I would go for a car which could re sell easily ie black / grey out and back in, low mileage and which has always been serviced by aston martin
Yes, you'll find it somewhat more expensive than other models....but trust me, the minute you start having issues withan AM it is extremely expensive.

All the best

Old 12-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Lots of questions. Difficult to provide specific answers and as always, a forum search is usually your best bet before putting up a big post. A few tips:

Get Grant's book: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ston-book.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...de-update.html

Start watching Manheim (you're at a dealer so getting access should be no problem). See my recent comments here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...v8-ouch-4.html

Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ What he said...

You're 22 get the Vantage v8 and have fun driving it...

Pass on the DB9 - your not old, gray, and bitter wearing a robe and slippers, cursing, reading the papers with bitter coffee and pipe, grumbling under your breath.

Haha only kidding although the DB9 is more of a GT car, and the owners are ussually older, I have one I'm in my mid 30's and I'm the younger end of the spectrum...if I were in my 20's I'd have a Vantage for sure!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I have had two Aston's to date. An 09 V8 Vantage (4.7l) and an 11 V12 Vantage.

First bit of advice, don't buy a car like this unless you are REALLY able to afford it. They are not as cheap to own as your Mercedes, and resale values can be all over the place. I'm in Toronto and our market is strong, yours could be less so. You have to be totally okay with losing ten grand at selling time.

Assuming you are good with buying a car that is lower production and all the stuff that comes with that (expensive service, expensive parts, smaller tuner market etc), I would for sure buy the Vantage over the DB9. I'm biased because I like smaller cars. The Vantage is small, it's just an inch or so longer than a Boxster.

The 4.7L are better engines so go 2009 or later. I prefer the manual cars, in fact I really like the Graziano tranny in these cars (I'm not sure if the v8's and V12's are the same). They shift beautifully and that engine note is amazing (your Merc comes close, I almost bought the C63 AMG).

I think you will have to go with the S cars both at Merc is a fast car with a monster motor. The base V8 might not have enough grunt for you.

What the Vantage will give you over the C63 AMG:

-Style. These cars are just so beautiful and they look like nothing else on the road.
- the interior is just so much more bespoke than the Merc. The view out the low windows is awesome.
- The car is so well balanced and it has a proper set of rear tires (the C63 is under tired). The steering and braking are top drawer. Plus you can still hang the rear end out at will, AND also keep it all in check.
-You get to ride in an ASTON.

Last edited by black penguin; 12-07-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Allen121 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tyler W Larson
1. Convertible or Coupe have more market potential? There are less coupes than convertibles. Is the market a convertible market or is the coupe a more preferred body-style. What remains to be the more valued?
I prefer the coupe because I'm not a fan of soft tops. I know several other owners that feel the same.

2. Color is important to whom is purchasing a vehicle of these standards. What color is to grab the most Aston market, what color has to most unique and value, and what color is to stay away from?
Aston Martin's are not like Lamborghini's that are meant to be loud in color. I prefer any of the silver variants, black, or white. My top three would be Quantum Silver, Meteorite Silver, and Tungsten Silver.

3. Mileage is going to be above average for the price I am shopping. The V8 is pretty standard so I wont concern a lot about the Vantage. The V12 is my concern. Would 30k, 40k, 60k turn most DB9 buyers off? If so, if documenting interval servicing is completed to spec, and condition is top notch can the buyers be convinced when saving the dollar between low and high miles? What is the general rule of thumb for Aston Martin owners in value and mileage (example: every 1k miles = $1,000)?
As with most exotics, owners don't like to put a lot of miles on them. I have a 2007 V8V with only 16K miles and I feel that's a lot. Of course there are purists that will use it as their daily driver or aren't concerned with putting miles on them. But that will hurt your resale value since others will have less miles.

4. Transmission, which is more valued and/or preferred?
Almost all new AM's have a Sportshift. But I like feeling the car so I prefer manual transmission. This really depends on the driver and I also don't think it will hurt your resale value.

5. Market availability, Resale, & Demand. I live in South Dakota, Aston Martin is very unique for the market and never available for sale. The Chicago or Denver area becomes the next closest market for the cars. What areas are heavy with competition and do they sit or do they sell quick?
I can't really comment on this since I live in Cali.

6. What influences a buyer on an Aston Martin?
Aston Martin owners buy them because of their sexy lines, exclusivity, beautiful interior, and a feeling of elegance mixed with performance.

Last edited by Allen121; 12-08-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Just a fun data point on the colors... I went by Aston of Palm Beach FL recently... They have had a bright red aston on the showroom floor (DB9 or Vantage cant recall) .. for over ONE YEAR now. Its not moving. So I'd suggest sticking with the classic silver/gray/black colors. Yellow & red IMO just are not the right colors for AMs.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
On Pistonheads they use the term "resale grey" for a reason

Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 PM
kba
kba is on a distinguished road
It seems as if you are purchasing this car purely for resale. Reason I say that is because you are SO concerned about resale value as those are your only questions. If it's for your business I understand that, but if it's for you personally (which you claim) then don't worry about resale. The extra few thousand you'll get out of a car that is easier to sell won't be worth having a car for a few years you don't love. I think you need to take a different approach to buying a high end car.

I got my Vantage when I was 22 and I didn't even consider a DB9 and I don't think you should either, it's much more 'boring'.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kba
I got my Vantage when I was 22 and I didn't even consider a DB9 and I don't think you should either, it's much more 'boring'.
ouch! Does your statement imply that the V8V is somewhat boring?

Old 12-11-2012, 12:41 PM
kba
Either I stated it incorrectly or you misunderstood my statement. It's the other way around, I think the Vantage is more fun than the DB9. DB9 is for the non-20 year olds jk

Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
I know sonny (says the decrepit old man)! Your age is showing.....

Old 12-11-2012, 01:27 PM
DoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of lightDoubleLow7 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
Yellow & red IMO just are not the right colors for AMs.
really...

just as people mentioned buying an aston martin due to the exclusivity and rarity, i purchased mine in magma red on that same principle versus the greys, blacks and silvers (no offense as they are just as beautiful too).

or maybe it's because im in my late 20's, haha.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:36 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
DB9 is for bitter, grumpy, old men ! haha! I'm in my mid thirties and have one, maybe I should trade it in on a Vantage! ... or has it made me too bitter and grumpy already!! !!!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM
kba
AM resale value thread < age war thread
HAHAHAHAHA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin Buying, I have Questions