Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage vs vantage s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 PM
b_gust99 will become famous soon enough
Vantage vs vantage s

I was wondering if somebody could speak to the real world difference in engine performance of a 4.7 vantage and vantage S. With the updates to the 2012.25 vantage, the differences seem relatively minor (exhaust, carbon fiber splitter/diffuser, engine output numbers). Is the change in output noticeable or mainly numbers on a page? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:29 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by b_gust99
I was wondering if somebody could speak to the real world difference in engine performance of a 4.7 vantage and vantage S. With the updates to the 2012.25 vantage, the differences seem relatively minor (exhaust, carbon fiber splitter/diffuser, engine output numbers). Is the change in output noticeable or mainly numbers on a page? Any opinions would be appreciated.
I went from a MY09 4.7 sport pack roadster to a new S roadster
There is a massive difference but not because of the engine modes
Here's some of the differences I like
better reverse gear on ASM2 (= no clutch slip) *
noisy exhaust *
quicker steering rack
lighter wide alloys & tyres *
bigger front brakes
great 7 speed robotic manual gear box *
stiffer suspension *
single arm wipers
garmin sat nav

The sum of those changes completely changed the car even with out the engine mods

I'm not that bothered by the styling tweaks and the engine power comes from adding the N400 air boxes
Many of these are either standard or options in the base V8 from MY13 (options marked *)
The plastic splitters rather than the CF ones look rubbish IMHO
In the UK speccing a std V8 to S spec cost more than buying and S
Bamford Rose will be converting mine to a 5.0 litre 550 BHP monster in the new year

Last edited by mikey k; 12-12-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I just wish they came in 6spd. How does the vantage S 7spd compare to the speed shift 6speeds?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM
V8VANTAGE is on a distinguished road
better reverse gear on ASM2 (= no clutch slip) *
noisy exhaust *
quicker steering rack
lighter wide alloys & tyres *
bigger front brakes
great 7 speed robotic manual gear box *
stiffer suspension *
single arm wipers
garmin sat nav
In addition to the ones marked with *, I believe the following are also standard on the 2013 base v8:

quicker steering rack
bigger front brakes
garmin sat nav

Old 12-12-2012, 03:49 PM
bluesun is on a distinguished road
2013 model you can get an S with the manual transmission.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:13 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mikey k
single arm wipers
Sorry, what does that mean?
Would of gone to look at my car, but it's under the cover already.
Thks

Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 PM
timwhayden is on a distinguished road
With the 12.25 MY updates to the base V8V the only things the V8VS have that are not available on the base one are:
1) higher powered engine
2) More aggressive exhaust-you can get the sport exhaust from the N420/V12V as an option on the base but it has a different part number and is therefore different than the S exhaust (some feel the S exhaust sounds better)
3) The full V12V sills -N400 sills are the only ones available on base although they are now standard
4) More stitching on interior doors, seats and console kick panel
5) Carbon Fiber front splitter and rear diffuser-base have dark gray plastic ones that are not as attractive altho you can get CF ones for the base as a $6K option.

That's about the only differences now. I may have left out something minor(don't know what it would be though) but nothing major. I have just ordered a new base V8V so I have researched the differences.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM
timwhayden is on a distinguished road
I did forget to add the sport suspension that is standard on the S and optional on the base. Sorry!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
There is little difference in engine performance between the 420 hp 4.7 and the 430 hp S. After the 2012.25 (yes, .25 -- strangest model year distinction ever) changes to the standard 4.7, the biggest difference between the two, IMO, is in the suspension. The standard-suspension V8V is considerably less firm than the S, and the Sports Pack suspension option on the non-S is now the same as the S suspension. By the same token, the S/Sports Pack car's handling is considerably sharper and more neutral.

Are you looking to buy new or used? I ask because my personal favorite V8V suspension is the '09 - early 2012 Sports Pack (same as the '08 N400). IMO, it gives the best ride-handling balance (at least in the Coupe -- Mikey K prefers the S over the Sports Pack in the Roadster). The S is quite a bit firmer even than the (pre-2012.25) Sports Pack car. To me, the handling improvement of the original Sports Pack was worth the firmer ride compared to the standard setup, but I'm not at all sure the S suspension's still-sharper handling is worth the considerably harder ride versus the original Sports Pack. This is, at least in part, because the roads where I live are truly poor. Also, many people like the standard suspension best -- the ride is quite good, and the handling is still excellent.

BTW, it's great news that the S can now be had with the real manual gearbox!

Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bluesun
2013 model you can get an S with the manual transmission.
No you can't but you can spec a std manual up to close to S spec

Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by Speedraser
There is little difference in engine performance between the 420 hp 4.7 and the 430 hp S. After the 2012.25 (yes, .25 -- strangest model year distinction ever) changes to the standard 4.7, the biggest difference between the two, IMO, is in the suspension. The standard-suspension V8V is considerably less firm than the S, and the Sports Pack suspension option on the non-S is now the same as the S suspension. By the same token, the S/Sports Pack car's handling is considerably sharper and more neutral.

Are you looking to buy new or used? I ask because my personal favorite V8V suspension is the '09 - early 2012 Sports Pack (same as the '08 N400). IMO, it gives the best ride-handling balance (at least in the Coupe -- Mikey K prefers the S over the Sports Pack in the Roadster). The S is quite a bit firmer even than the (pre-2012.25) Sports Pack car. To me, the handling improvement of the original Sports Pack was worth the firmer ride compared to the standard setup, but I'm not at all sure the S suspension's still-sharper handling is worth the considerably harder ride versus the original Sports Pack. This is, at least in part, because the roads where I live are truly poor. Also, many people like the standard suspension best -- the ride is quite good, and the handling is still excellent.

BTW, it's great news that the S can now be had with the real manual gearbox!
The 0.25 come from it being a 2012 calender year change rather than the UK traditional Sept 2011 Model Year change.

Both mine got used on some shocking roads, the SP coped better but the S is by no means bad and I'd rather have the S.

For me the best changes are ASM2 & the steering, combined they just make the car very "pointy"

Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by V8VANTAGE
In addition to the ones marked with *, I believe the following are also standard on the 2013 base v8:

quicker steering rack
bigger front brakes
garmin sat nav
The * items are options on the base Vantage the other stuff is standard

Old 12-14-2012, 03:06 AM
Originally Posted by gekko
Sorry, what does that mean?
Would of gone to look at my car, but it's under the cover already.
Thks
Here's the newer arms and aero blades

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25369163@N08/6223421212/http://www.flickr.com/photos/25369163@N08/6223421212/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/25369163@N08/, on Flickr

Old 12-14-2012, 01:45 PM
b_gust99 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mikey k
No you can't but you can spec a std manual up to close to S spec
I think you can now get the vantage s in a 6 speed manual (why not to start with?!). There is a 2013 vantage s at Aston Martin DC with a manual gearbox in red. Check it out on their website. I agree i much prefer the carbon fiber splitter to the plastic. So I have to decide do I get an S, or a base with the exterior carbon pack. That is why I'm wondering if the slight torque Boost was notable. I would think not, so I would say why go for the s with all the upgrades for the base? Basically I need to find a local s and see for myself, but wanted other opinions first.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:29 PM
wem
wem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the rough
I have enjoyed my '10 V8V Roadster for the past 22 months. I made the mistake of stopping by my local dealer last Friday just to look at a new 2012 V8VS that I saw on their website the night before. As soon as I heard the exhaust on the S, it was all over for me. I took it for a test drive and the handling and transmission were noticeably better than my '10. What on paper sounds like minor changes to the interior between the base and the S make more than a minor impression when seen in person. The carbon fiber splitter and diffuser are awesome (as well as the graphite finished rims). In 12 hours I will be picking up my new S. I can't wait.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vantage vs vantage s