Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Removing Front Licence Plate Mount 05 DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 06:18 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Removing Front Licence Plate Mount 05 DB9

How the heck do you remove the front license plate mount on a 2005 DB9? I cannot figure this out for the life of me. My state does not require a front plate so I would like to remove it. I also checked my Aston Martin shop manual and surprised it had nothing on installing/removing the front plate mount. Any help or info you can provide would be great! Thanks!

Dan

Old 12-25-2012, 12:42 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dan87951
How the heck do you remove the front license plate mount on a 2005 DB9? I cannot figure this out for the life of me. My state does not require a front plate so I would like to remove it. I also checked my Aston Martin shop manual and surprised it had nothing on installing/removing the front plate mount. Any help or info you can provide would be great! Thanks!

Dan
Dan,
Check this out from PistonHeads. It's in relation to removing EU front plate plinths, but hopefully it should help you. I can't believe you've been driving around Michigan with a front plate!

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...+To&mid=323448

BTW it is Christmas you know so don't forget to give me some rep points if it helps, I'm looking rather low you know!

FF

Old 12-25-2012, 01:01 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Dan take the front tag off immediately kind sir ... the DB looks wonderful with the front end showing all it's glory... I'm only wondering if you might have holes in your bumper cover once the plate mount is off. you can always get those filled, just maybe something to look into ....Merry Xmas guys!

Old 12-25-2012, 07:13 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Believe me I just got the car and hate how the front mount looks. I bought the car in a different state that requires a front plate. I looked at the link on piston heads and mine is different from that one.

How do I add rep points for you? I never heard of such a thing.

Merry Christmas fellas!

Old 12-25-2012, 07:40 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Click the little award ribbon/star thingie at the top of the post -- hover over it with your mouse and it should say "add to so-and-so's reputation". Don't miss and hit the red exclamation mark to report the post!!

Old 12-26-2012, 04:31 PM
From my research it seems my license plate mount cannot be taken off without taking off the front bumper cover! Wow, what a brilliant design.. lol

Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Same with the front grille apparently! I was thinking about taking mine off for a thorough cleaning an polishing...seems that on the DB the front bumber cover needs to come out for anything! And I heard it's a pain in the butt to take it off, tons of screws and clips n so forth.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:48 PM
It actually doesn't look to bad from what the shop manual shows to remove the front cover. Just a bad design to remove or mout a license plate, actually its quite laughable. I believe the shop manual showed 3 bolts on either side and 2 clips on the inside center. My Porsche 928 have close to 25 screws in all to remove the front bumper cover in the most difficult locations!! I just don't have the time to remove it this year maybe next.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:50 AM
spawnywhippet has a spectacular aura aboutspawnywhippet has a spectacular aura aboutspawnywhippet has a spectacular aura about
Anybody have a spare front license plate bracket for sale, or know where I can order one? I just bought a Florida registered 2005 Aston DB9 and need to mount a front license plate to register it for California.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by spawnywhippet
Anybody have a spare front license plate bracket for sale, or know where I can order one? I just bought a Florida registered 2005 Aston DB9 and need to mount a front license plate to register it for California.
I would risk it in CA without a front plate. I got pulled over on the PCH once for one of my passengers not wearing a seat belt and the kind officer didn't even mention that I didn't have a front plate.

FF

Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
^^^ Same with the front grille apparently! I was thinking about taking mine off for a thorough cleaning an polishing...seems that on the DB the front bumber cover needs to come out for anything! And I heard it's a pain in the butt to take it off, tons of screws and clips n so forth.
I took my front grill of to wrap the individual bars, and did so without removing the bumper cover. It did take me a little while to figure out, but I imagine it's probably a 20 minute job a second time around.

FF

Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by FatFrank
I took my front grill of to wrap the individual bars, and did so without removing the bumper cover. It did take me a little while to figure out, but I imagine it's probably a 20 minute job a second time around.

FF
Do you have a picture of your front license plate mount? There seems to be a couple of versions out there. There is one that mounts to the front grill which is very easy to remove and than there is mine which I believe is factory for that year.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by dan87951
Do you have a picture of your front license plate mount? There seems to be a couple of versions out there. There is one that mounts to the front grill which is very easy to remove and than there is mine which I believe is factory for that year.
Hi Dan,
My car didn't have any front license plate mount. I may be wrong but I think there was only two factory version of the front bumper cover. 1) European with holes in the front bumper cover, and 2) US without any holes in the front bumper cover. World markets took either 1 or 2 above as required. I struggle to rationalize Aston sending cars with different front bumper covers to different US states, although I suppose anything is possible. Are you sure your front plate mounting is not some sort of Stateside modification? Either way I wouldn't think you'd need to take the bumper cover off to remove it.

I also seem to remember a loose front license plate mount in the trunk of my car when I bought it. I remember thinking at the time that that would be used if the car were to be sold to an owner hat resided in a state that required the front plate. I don't know if that helps but I wanted to mention it.

FF