Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Things that Work : Car Care Products

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Besides using good quality detailing products. Rinse with deionized water then, the best way to prevent scratches to your paint finish is to dry the car with a leaf blower. When you dry the car with a towel, chamois and even micro-fiber whatever you put microscopic scratches in the finish that over time become more visible....

Old 12-29-2012, 01:53 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mmotte
I have found synthetic sealants to be superfluous
What is that supposed to mean?

IMO, carnauba is yesterday's news, outdated and outclassed by sealants.

Some people dislike sealants because they look 'harsh' or 'glassy' compared to the 'warm' or 'wet' look of carnauba. Can't say my eye is that discriminating. Maybe before a concours, or something like that...

I am fully sold on synthetic sealants. Unlike carnauba, they actually last beyond a couple of washes or a few hours of hot sun exposure. They go on easy, are easy to buff off, and for anyone who lives where there is regular exposure to rain, dirt etc. I think they are a no-brainer. I find they release dirt better than carnauba. And for anywhere with winter snow and salt, they are a godsend (hopefully not for your Aston, though)!

And as LRDog says, any time you touch your clearcoat, you will introduce micro-marring. With carnauba, you will be rubbing your car a lot more frequently to keep up protection!

Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
I think sealants look fine on the light and light metallic cars and I use them on my daily drivers.

On deeper colors (black, dark metallic grey, red, etc) the carnauba waxes really show the depth of the paint. Instead of a sealant gloss, the waxes give the paint a wetter, 3 dimensional look. Personally, I like Pinnacle http://www.pinnaclewax.com/souveran.html. It's super easy to apply and I can wax a car in 20 minutes (basically a wax on and wipe off wax). However, it only lasts a month, but I love detailing my car!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 PM
neoprufrok is on a distinguished road
I've always both a sealant followed by a polymer. Every 6 months a new sealant coat. Every month a quick 15 minute layer of carnuaba. I have always had dark colors, so this works best for me.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Not necessarily paint care related (unless of course your wheels ar e painted), I have found a wheel cleaner that actually works. Sonax wheel cleaner is a spray on, rinse off wheel cleaner that actually removes brake dust without scrubbing. A great first step in wheel cleaning. It won't get the wheels finished clean but, it will remove 90% of the dust and grime (if your wheels ever get that dirty.....). Following the Sonax, you can was the wheels with car wash soap to get them final clean. I mainly use it on my wife's jag and my SUV b/c those wheels actually get a little buildup on them....

Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
I have found that applying 2 coats of wax and 2 coats of polish (Don't use polish if your wheels are matte or raw finish) makes them slick enough that a fair amount of debris and brake dust build-up can be hosed away without having to clean the wheels.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:21 PM
911ist is on a distinguished road
what do you guys use to clean the rear fender body protector? I am having a hard time keeping that piece clean!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:45 PM
JWHDB9 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LRDog
Not necessarily paint care related (unless of course your wheels ar e painted), I have found a wheel cleaner that actually works. Sonax wheel cleaner is a spray on, rinse off wheel cleaner that actually removes brake dust without scrubbing. A great first step in wheel cleaning. It won't get the wheels finished clean but, it will remove 90% of the dust and grime (if your wheels ever get that dirty.....). Following the Sonax, you can was the wheels with car wash soap to get them final clean. I mainly use it on my wife's jag and my SUV b/c those wheels actually get a little buildup on them....
Do you know if it's safe for diamond turned wheels? Aston warns against using wheel cleaners. Since the wheels have a clear coat I don't understand why, but being gun shy I try to treat mine as gently as possible.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by JWHDB9
Do you know if it's safe for diamond turned wheels? Aston warns against using wheel cleaners. Since the wheels have a clear coat I don't understand why, but being gun shy I try to treat mine as gently as possible.
I've used it on my HREs (brushed with clearcoat), painted stock AM wheels, Jag painted/brushed wheels, many sets of Porsche painted wheels and chrome wheels on my SUV without issue. Wouldn't leave it on too long and be sure to rinse thoroughly. I wash the wheels with cars wash and a seprate micro fiber mitt after the Sonax wheel cleaner. Great stuff, highly recommend.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:57 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Sonax is the bomb! LRDog is right. I use ONR on the wheels most of the time if I'm doing the entire car with ONR I just continue on the wheels, p21s is good too, but I've heard and seen some amazing results with Sonax.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Breezman will become famous soon enoughBreezman will become famous soon enough
Does anyone have any experience with Cilajet, my dealer said i should use that!

Also- how would u use any of this on a clear bra?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:07 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Dunno what Cilajet is, what is that?

I've been told and seen opti-seal do a good job on clear bra and trims... a detailer tolds me about it.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:04 PM
DoctorWill is on a distinguished road
Mine just arrived over the weekend, can't wait to try it out.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by sunir
^^^ Dunno what Cilajet is, what is that?
Me either. Googled it; it's a sealant. Don't want to give them free press..... website here: http://www.cilajet.com/

Breezman, did they tell you why it's so good?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:09 PM
DoctorWill is on a distinguished road
Cilajet is some kind of treatment for leather and paint. It's supposed to expel liquids and make cleaning easy. I've had it on my Turbo S but honestly can't tell you if it works or not over time since I sold it after a year. Dealers offer it and charges about $12-1600 for the treatment.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Things that Work : Car Care Products