Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin Vantage V8 gearbox part name needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 PM
ggregory60879 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Aston Martin Vantage V8 gearbox part name needed

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and how lovely it is to be posting a problem as my first post, ha!

I have a small issue with my manual gear box. I was driving the car last week and as i changed to second gear i couldn't select it, the gear stick simply fell into place with no pressure, another words it was loose and no biting into gear.

I managed to find third and third only so limped home and tried to work out the problem. The problem i found was that the gear stick would move side to side as normal, ie the bush was in place making it centralise, however forwards and rear wards the bush had gone and it was loose and unable to select a gear.

I took it to the garage and he confirmed this and did a temp fix. Im in Dubai in the UAE and struggling to find the part.

Does anyone know what this part is called so i can try to find it online?

Its basically a rubber bush but after contacting Aston Martin they told me i can only buy the whole item not just the bush which costs a fortune!
Regardless im sure it can be sourced elsewhere and from what i hear its a common fault.

Can anyone here help?

Thanks in advance...

Gaz

Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 AM
Finally after a week of hunting i find the part in the UK.
The rubber bush cant be bought and i must buy the whole part.
It is in fact called the gear selector cable of which there are two, long and short. For my issue i only require a rubber bush that sits inside a hole! But as usual they only come as a whole part so i'm forced to buy the long gear selector cable at a cost of around $200.

For the record Aston Martin in Dubai quoted me $1650 to supply and fit the part!!

Jog on

Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Try contacting Bamford Rose in the UK
They may well have a direct route to the bush supplier or a better alternative

http://www.bamfordrose.com/contact-us.html

Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ggregory60879
For the record Aston Martin in Dubai quoted me $1650 to supply and fit the part!!

Jog on
! But then again maybe not too surprised since supercars are quite common and the only place where Ferrari Enzo's, Koenigseggs, Vayrons, One-77's hustle around finding parking at the mall

Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. I've contacted Bamford Rose and awaiting a reply.

For those interested ive supplied and image to the exact setup and where the bush is located. If your gear ever fails and you cant select anything theres a good chance that this could be the issue. At the moment ive got a steel bung in there which actually does the job but of course i need the correct part ASAP.

If anyone else has any other contacts for the rubber bung only id appreciate them.

Thanks again.

Gaz

Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I've replaced those on my Porsche, takes about 90 minutes. I can't imagine a $ 1,400 labor charge to do that - its should be just right under the console. (I have not done that on my Vantage, but would not hesitate to do it myself)

Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Doing it is not the problem, getting hold of the part is the problem.

I've been all over the UAE to local and foreign garages and no one can source it.

As far as the dealer goes they are not charging that to fit it, that's the whole assembly and fitment. Shocking charges considering i just found the part for £140 / $220 ish.
Anyway ive got an ex Aston Martin guy sorting my car out for me and his labour charges are not worth me getting my car jack out!

However the damn rubber is a ***** to source!

I may have to give in and buy the full thing

Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
its just the cable end that attaches to the balljoint swivel on the trans linkage selector arm. Locally near me, this cable can be repaired..they would cut off the end and refit a new end piece. Try checking into places that do custom work for cars..or even machine shops that repair cables for lift trucks..they should be able to help you. Just you would most prob need to remove the cable to fit a new end piece. For a regular car the shifter cable wouldn't be worth the price to fix(200 dollars would be a new cable)..for a v8v, 200 dollars to fix a 1000 dollar unit seems worth the price

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
this may be the part you need?

Gaz,

I think this is what the rubber piece looks like ... see attachment.

User "007 Vantage" posted this a couple of years back. Maybe send him a PM to see where he sourced it from?

Attached Files