How do I disable Crawl function?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Registered PM
Carmonkey is on a distinguished road
How do I disable Crawl function?

Hi All,

I love my 09 V8V, but the crawl feature is driving me crazy. Is there any way to turn that off? Or can it at least be adjusted to a lower speed? 5 mph is way to fast for backing out of my garage, and too fast for parking structures as well.

I would prefer to turn it off altogether. My Maserati Gransport has the same tranny but no Crawl feature and I love it! I like cars to move only when I press on the gas, that's not too much to ask, is it?

Thanks -- Andy

Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
From the factory it cannot be disabled, the new 7-speed v8v's no longer have the crawl feature...maybe an aftermarket program could be tweaked, might want to check with Stuart at RSC

Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Not come across any one disabling it

Old 02-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Registered PM
Originally Posted by irish07
From the factory it cannot be disabled, the new 7-speed v8v's no longer have the crawl feature...maybe an aftermarket program could be tweaked, might want to check with Stuart at RSC
Thanks, I'll check with him, hopefully there is an easy way to disable it in software, or at least adjust the max speed to 1 or 2 mph.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Registered PM
Originally Posted by mikey k
Not come across any one disabling it
But you want to, you know you do!

Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Carmonkey
But you want to, you know you do!

Absolutely awful feature
I found a solution though if a little expensive

French Loop 746_resize by mikey k V8VR, on Flickr

Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 AM
fbiguy is on a distinguished road
I also went the route Mikey took. It's a much more intuitive setup, if a bit pricey. Good luck finding a solution for the 6 speeds, it would be very worth it.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
You wouldn't be able to lower the crawl speed..otherwise you would be slipping the clutch constantly to reduce the crawl speed..and with that tall reverse gear..heheh good luck.

I'm sure it can be disabled completely via a tune, there's no difference in the transmission control module itself for a 7-speed or 6-speed..it's all software

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Registered PM
@Mikey and fbiguy - Thanks, way to rub it in! I like the way you're thinking, but my checkbook told me no, no, no! So I must keep looking for a better answer...

Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 AM
Goodluck as Irish says it needs the box ECU cracking to disable it completely, he has a VERY good point on the speed adjustment you will ruin the clutch. I've not come across anyone cracking it so far.
Save some cents up and get a used S it is FAR great than the sum of the changes

Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
I don't know, I don't seem to have a problem with it. Most of the time I don't let it engage and when I'm going in or backing out of the garage I just don't let it go too fast.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
I don't know, I don't seem to have a problem with it. Most of the time I don't let it engage and when I'm going in or backing out of the garage I just don't let it go too fast.
That's the trick
Either enough throttle to stop it kicking in or let it do its thing - don't fight it

Old 02-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Registered PM
Well, after a quick discussion with the service tech at my dealer, there is a pretty easy way to disable it for short periods (like when I go in and out of my garage). Simple trick?

Pull the hand brake up just one click. That disables "crawl mode".

Works great! Now I can ease in and out of tight spaces without worrying that the minute I let up on the gas the car will speed up.

Just so you know why this is a big deal for me, my garage is extremely tight and requires me to begin to turn immediately as I back out to clear the house, but not too much or I'll scrape the other car. It's a pain, but the house is 100 years old and not ideally suited for cars.

Fun fact: the service tech told me that at least one V8V owner drives all the time with the handbrake up one click to disable crawl. I'm not going to go that far.

Last edited by Carmonkey; 02-15-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 AM
Now that is interesting

Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Registered PM
Originally Posted by mikey k
Absolutely awful feature
I found a solution though if a little expensive

French Loop 746_resize by mikey k V8VR, on Flickr
Hey Mikey! I followed the link to your Flickr photos. Your photos are great, you've had some nice trips in your Vantage!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do I disable Crawl function?