Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage S at the track

Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
Vantage S at the track

I'm going to take this big girl out to the track for the day. My track toy is in the shop and I've been missing my track time. I also want to get a feel for how this car reacts under heavy braking and oversteer situations.

Is there anything special to know about these cars before I get there tomorrow? I read up on the DSC a little, depress 4 seconds for track mode, and another 4 seconds to turn off. I'd love to hear about people's experience with these two modes. Any other advice on the functions of a 2012 V8V-S?

Old 02-15-2013, 08:42 PM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
I am doing MSR next weekend with 08 v8v, second time I have run there. I get mine back from the shop tomorrow, I have the new rsc headers and the porterfield pads all around. The AM is awesome on the track so balanced and seated to the track. Let us know how it goes.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 PM
I really didn't expect this car to tempt me to the tract, she is big, heavy and expensive to maintain/fix but after driving it daily for a few months I think it's going to be a lot if fun. The old girl is surprisingly quick and feels light on her feet (in spite if the 4200 lbs gvw).

Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fubar
The old girl is surprisingly quick and feels light on her feet (in spite if the 4200 lbs gvw).
Curb weight for a V8VS is "only" 3549 lbs. Compared to 4200, no wonder she feels "surprisingly light on her feet."

Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 AM
Door sticker says 4210, I'm not sure why the Internet says 3500 but it does. Weird.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^Because that is gross vehicle weight which includes passengers and a full load of fuel.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Try this link:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...06011#21127677

FWIW when I tracked my old V8V I felt more comfortable with the DSC completely off. I ran aftermarket rubber and found when outside temperatures were warm that it was very difficult to unstick the back end - the car has a surprisingly neutral balance. Also, as the brakes were by far the limiting factor, turning off DSC let them last a little bit longer! Now, if I'm not mistaken, the S has 2 stage DSC like the V12V, so you may want to try switching only one stage off at first. I haven't tracked my V12V yet but I am very impressed with the 'track mode' and often use it when I am out for a drive.

Last edited by spinecho; 02-16-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fubar
Door sticker says 4210, I'm not sure why the Internet says 3500 but it does. Weird.
Plus full luggage, etc. GVR is the maximum permitted weight -- the car plus everything you can put in it without exceeding the GVR.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Speedraser
Plus full luggage, etc. GVR is the maximum permitted weight -- the car plus everything you can put in it without exceeding the GVR.
That makes so much more sense. Thanks for the clarification on that! The car did really well, I set the DSC to its track mode, I wasn't comfortable enough with the car or my driving ability to turn off all of the nannies. I could definitely feel the DSC kick in from time to time, but it was not overly intrusive. I do think I would have set a faster lap without it, maybe another day.

Thanks again, it was a fun day at the track.

Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2013, 06:23 PM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
How was the Aston at ECR? I have not tried that track yet?
MSR seems more twisty and curvy than ECR.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 PM
MSR is a much tighter course in my opinion. I think The layout at ECR lends itself to heavier cars and higher HP cars maybe. It has more sweeping turns and uses elevation changes with turns that allow you to put the vehicle weight to good use. I thought the surface was pretty good today, I've been out there when the braking zones were tore up but it was decent today. The cold weather was a little inhibiting early on but than got better midday also. I just wish it weren't so damn far.

I'm in frisco, so MSR isn't much better for me.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 AM
fbiguy is on a distinguished road
Great pics Fubar. You had to be doing a bit better than you let on if you got the body to lean going into that corner. I gotta get myself out there, if only to watch. Probably the only way I will get to hear a car like mine at full tilt since my wife won't do any full throttle drive by's for me.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by fbiguy
Great pics Fubar. You had to be doing a bit better than you let on if you got the body to lean going into that corner. I gotta get myself out there, if only to watch. Probably the only way I will get to hear a car like mine at full tilt since my wife won't do any full throttle drive by's for me.
Thanks man, it's funny you should mention the wife. I talked my wife into going to the track with me for this event. I caught her on video coming out of that turn pretty good. Frankly, it scared me a little bit.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
Looked smooth on that turn. nice!