Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Sudden Jerk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 PM
juanilovantage-s is on a distinguished road
Sudden Jerk

So today coming home from the gym....i was in sport mode paddle shifting (no crazy stuff)
And i pulled up to a red light jamin to the 80's. while waiting on the light to change POW!
It felt like someone smacked me from behind, the car died, radio blaring, look in the rear view mirror no one was behind me.
Try to start and engine just kept turning, waited about 30 seconds trid agin and it started.
Drove home (wasnt far) parked in the drive way.
Left message with service department. Went to pull in garage and engine just turns finally starts with lumpy starving idle. Once statred let it run, pulled in garage and starts fine. Everytime.
Just for grins waited an hour tried to start and same thing.
Any ideas???

Old 03-17-2013, 06:26 AM
Aerome is on a distinguished road
Juan, with the weather we're having here, could it be possible a little water was built up in the tank due to condensation? Does the car sit much?

Old 03-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Aerome its been about two weeks since I drove last, its got about 1/3 of a tank now. It sits for spans of 3 weeks or more during the winter, always put super unleaded tho.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Do you do clutch learns?

Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Mikey,
first time ive heard of the clutch learn. Hold foot on brake after it starts until click, then release? (thanks btw!)
Tried startin yesterday and after 1rst start it seems ok , its that first one that sounds rough, lumpy starvin idle.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 AM
Aerome is on a distinguished road
Juan, with the cold nights and warm days we're having lately condensation may form, especially with tanks that are not that full. Grade of fuel probably doesn't come into play but they switch from the winter blend to the summer blend around now, too. My theory may be far fetched but I've nothing else to suggest. Try putting some miles on it while you're waiting for a return call.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:47 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by juanilovantage-s
Mikey,
first time ive heard of the clutch learn. Hold foot on brake after it starts until click, then release? (thanks btw!)
Tried startin yesterday and after 1rst start it seems ok , its that first one that sounds rough, lumpy starvin idle.
Learns are an absolute MUST on the SS gearboxes, if you don't do them you can get stalling, never seen one refuse to start though. If you've never done on do 3-4 of them in a row and get in to the habit to doing one first thing each day you use the car.
There is a very good FAQ on Pistonheads

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...sked+Questions

It covers the clutch it also covers cleaning the throttle butterfly which can cause lumpy idles