Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AOS Catch Can

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Hehe..don't know why it beating ur head on this...the one I posted the link to is a nice piece..and it's cheaper in price, they have other versions that are the same but with a different mounting design. This allows you to either mount it near the PAS reservoir or even feed it downward to have access when doing a oil change. Which ever design you go with, stay away from quick spouts to pour out the oil, you want the ability to take the can off easily(twist on twist off with a rubber gasket seal) to clean out the can. I looked at the one you posted, it has a quick spout and looks like you have to take all the hex screws out to release the bottle..over engineered to just cause complications...just my 2cents

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-09-2013, 10:52 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I always appreciate your input! As for beating myself up over this... I'm just being overly finicky

For ease of access, the catch can will be easily removed via two bolts and two hose clamps, all unobstructed. Should take only a minute to remove the can, and a minute to put it back. With the hose routing I'm using, the catch can will be securely in place with support from three directions, which will keep the metal bracket thickness to a minimum. This keeps down weight, materials cost, and eliminates the need for new (longer) bolts for the existing mounting point.

Part of the reason I'm going through such lengths for using shape-molded hose is because the AOS outlet points directly at the front of the engine, which limits space for hose routing. Since it's so tight, bending a non-molded hose could cause it to kink, which I'm actively avoiding throughout the setup.

I'm leaving the quick drain valve up to each person. I'm not getting it for mine because I think it'll ruin the lines of the setup. The catch can I picked out looks fantastic, no reason to ruin that. Plus, I don't think it will actually save time. As I'm designing it, the catch can is removed from the top of the engine bay.

Like I said, I'm being finicky. I want this to be a no-regrets type solution. Plus, I've spent way more time and money diagnosing and poking my car than this

Here's the How-To for catch can maintenance I'm writing... now.

1) Open the hood of your car.
2) Detach hoses from catch can, be prepared with paper towels to catch any dripping oil.
3) Remove the two bolts holding the catch can on the mounting bracket.
4) Open bottom drain plug to drain oil.
5) Wipe drain plug clean, re-plug, and re-install catch can in reverse order of the steps above.

Last edited by telum01; 07-22-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:53 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by irish07
I looked at the one you posted, it has a quick spout and looks like you have to take all the hex screws out to release the bottle..over engineered to just cause complications...just my 2cents
Yes, but they sure look pretty, don't they?

Last edited by karlfranz; 07-09-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlfranz

Yes, but they sure look pretty, don't they?
So are hookers, there good for now but u get bored of them with time and just drop them aside, in replace of a good reliable one that does the same job but is cheaper to maintain! ;-)

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by telum01
I always appreciate your input! As for beating myself up over this... I'm just being overly finicky

For ease of access, the catch can will be easily removed via two bolts and two hose clamps, all unobstructed. Should take only a minute to remove the can, and a minute to put it back. With the hose routing I'm using, the catch can will be securely in place with support from three directions, which will keep the metal bracket thickness to a minimum. This keeps down weight, materials cost, and eliminates the need for new (longer) bolts for the existing mounting point.

Part of the reason I'm going through such lengths for using shape-molded hose is because the AOS outlet points directly at the front of the engine, which limits space for hose routing. Since it's so tight, bending a non-molded hose could cause it to kink, which I'm actively avoiding throughout the setup.

I'm leaving the quick drain valve up to each person. I'm not getting it for mine because I think it'll ruin the lines of the setup. The catch can I picked out looks fantastic, no reason to ruin that. Plus, I don't think it will actually save time. As I'm designing it, the catch can is removed from the top of the engine bay.

Like I said, I'm being finicky. I want this to be a no-regrets type solution. Plus, I've spent way more time and money diagnosing and poking my car than this

Here's the How-To for catch can maintenance I'm writing... now.

1) Open the hood of your car.
2) Detach hoses from catch can, be prepared with paper towels to catch any dripping oil.
3) Remove the two bolts holding the catch can on the mounting bracket.
4) Open bottom drain plug to drain oil.
5) Wipe drain plug clean, re-plug, and re-install catch can in reverse order of the steps above.
If it works and fits the looks u need..that's all that matters...btw to prevent hoses from kinking visit ur local parts and get hose coils..there usually for coolant hoses, slide the spring in the hose to the linking section and it will keep the hose round..just make sure it's the right inside diameter to stay wedged

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Last edited by telum01; 07-22-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by irish07
btw to prevent hoses from kinking visit ur local parts and get hose coils..there usually for coolant hoses, slide the spring in the hose to the linking section and it will keep the hose round..just make sure it's the right inside diameter to stay wedged
Wow, I've been working with hose and tricks for years and never knew these existed...

Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM
TurboDragon will become famous soon enoughTurboDragon will become famous soon enough
Pics?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by TurboDragon
Pics?
Still designing it so nothing to take pics of yet. i sent a preliminary sketch of the mounting bracket to my buddy. He'll get back to me with a time and price for making them. I came up with a pretty simple design so it shouldn't take long or cost much. But I'll have to wait to say the price until he gives me one!

The catch can from the group buy is the one on the left. Order on your own and my kit will fit either one.

Last edited by telum01; 07-09-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:59 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
How do you know when the can is full? Is there a sight glass or something?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:10 PM
There are some catch cans that come with a sight glass, others that are entirely clear. This one you just have to check every once in a while. It holds 0.5 Qt of oil, so if you've gotten that full, it's a bad sign anyway!

And now for something completely different.

I know people all have their opinions about this, so I just want to reiterate that this is a personal project. I'm building this for myself, for my car, and to my taste. But I'm also offering to build it for anyone else interested as a courtesy. I'm not selling anything and I'm not making any money off of this. The price I charge is the cost of materials and shipping. I'm not even charging for my time and energy spent designing the kit, building the packages for other people, dealing with shipping to them, etc.

I just wanted to be clear on this in case anyone gets upset about not taking votes on my design. It's nothing personal, I'm just doing my thing

Edit: btw, this is a one-time thing. Once I'm done, I'm moving on! If you want one of my kits, please let me know and I'll build one for you.

Also: I take serious pride in my work. If I notice a problem with the kit on my car, I'll find a solution and alert those who got one from me. (Legal notice: This does not imply a warranty. I am not liable for anything ever. Not even anything.) If I find an area for improvement, I'll post about it, if not send updated parts because I'm such a nice guy.

Last edited by telum01; 07-09-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:37 PM
For anyone worried about spending this much on your Aston Martin, you could always go this route and save a few bucks

Attached Images  

Last edited by telum01; 07-22-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:15 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by telum01
For anyone worried about spending this much on your Aston Martin, you could always go this route and save a few bucks

You offer so many tempting options...

Last edited by telum01; 07-22-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 PM
For those interested in the quick drain valve, here's the link for the info on it. As I've said, I'm not a fan of it. But if requested, I'll include it in your kit.

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/Catc...Kit_p_325.html

Originally Posted by IbisRider
You offer so many tempting options...
I do what I can

Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 AM
To alleviate concerns about cutting the factory hose, and for anyone wondering how to go back to the factory setup, I did a little homework.

Since the custom bracket is being attached to an existing mounting point, there are absolutely no holes to drill in your car.

The one hose that gets permanently altered due to being cut can be replaced for ~9 GBP. Here's a link to a place where you can buy the hose.
http://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part...53-191358.html

This catch can kit will be 100% reversible so long as that one hose is replaced.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Some more stuff...

The kit I am building will not fit on a V12. There is intake duct going through the location where this kit mounts. This kit should, however, fit all V8's. That said, I am basing the kit on my 2007 (4.3L).

Still waiting on bracket price. I'll post it when I get it and that should give me a final price. When I have the final price, I'll ask for it to be sent to my PayPal.

The deadline for receiving this payment is July 26th.

The group buy order will be placed on July 27th.
Once I receive the catch cans, I will get exact measurements for the mounting brackets.
My buddy will make the mounting brackets and send them to me.
I'll put my kit together and use myself (er, my car) as the guinea pig for fitment. While doing this, I'll be taking pictures and notes, which I will include in the installation instructions I'll be writing.
Then, I'll assemble each person's kit and send them out.

The turnaround time for my tasks will be quick. I'll be pushing my buddy to fab the brackets as soon as he can. I'm hoping to have my kit installed in 5 weeks (mid-August). But there are some variables that could delay that (group buy delivery and bracket fabrication).

If anyone is uneasy about cutting the emissions separator hose, please let me know and we'll work something out (such as me getting an extra hose, cutting it to size, and sending it as part of your kit. NOTE: this may delay shipment of your kit). That's a more work and risk for me so I'd like to keep that to a minimum.

So far, these people are asking for kits:
telum01
bluebarchetta
flinder
aston.ca

If anyone else wants in, please let me know!

Last edited by telum01; 07-22-2014 at 07:57 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AOS Catch Can