Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AOS Catch Can

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:00 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adsl3897
I'm too late to jump in on the buy? *trying to work out when "end of today is" from Australia :-P*
yeah, the group buy is closed, but you can still order the catch can at normal price. if you want to use the kit i'm building, i'll need payment for the rest of the kit before I can commit to having yours made since the brackets will be custom made.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Just to keep this current: The group buy is closed. I'm waiting for an invoice for the catch cans and associated parts from the manufacturer. Once I get it, I can pay it, then the order can be filled.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by telum01
Just to keep this current: The group buy is closed. I'm waiting for an invoice for the catch cans and associated parts from the manufacturer. Once I get it, I can pay it, then the order can be filled.
Invoice received, corrected, and paid.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Emailed this morning for an update on the catch can order, got this back:

"All the catch cans are being manufactured by 42DD at the moment. They will be finished and ready to ship hopefully this week.

Thank you for your patience."

Also, I wanted to tinker with my 4Runner over the weekend, so I put together a ghetto catch can. Cost about $25 in all. Not pretty, not perfect, but it gives an example of what a catch can is able to do.

Looks to be about a tablespoon or more of oil. This is after only 55.1 miles of driving. That's about a quart and a half between 5k-mile oil changes!

Attached Images   

Last edited by telum01; 08-07-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Latest update:

"Hey Richard,

42DD is shipping out the batch to us tomorrow morning, we're hoping to ship everyones order by mid next week.

There were some materials that were out of stock for the catch can so that put 42DD behind a bit."

Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 PM
FINALLY!!!

Wrinkle black finish in position:

Polished finish in position:

Polished finish next to oil canister for finish comparison:

Sorry the pics aren't that great, it's been a long day and I'm holding the can with one hand while taking the pic with the other. Both finishes look great, though!

However, the fittings that came with the cans are terribly mismatched and I won't be using them. I'm going to send them back and find some new ones. I should be able to find some tomorrow and order them, and have them before the brackets arrive, so it shouldn't set the timetable back any further than it already is. The downside is that I was going to put my can in and jimmy-rig a mounting solution for it, just to get some testing during my commute to work tomorrow, and I can't because the fittings are so bad.

Attached Images    
Old 08-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Installed in-line, sans bracket. I'm still going to find some better fittings, or modify the ones I have to be up to my standards. I'm very impressed with the quality and workmanship of the can, and it looks likes an OEM piece. It'll fit somewhat better than you see in the pic below once I get it properly mounted and with improvements to the fittings.

Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2013, 12:36 PM
Just spent a couple hours in the sun poking at my engine bay to get measurements and clearances. I also drove about a hundred miles with the catch can installed in the line between the AOS and PCV. It was spotless, but oil was still getting into the intake manifold. So that location is out, and I'll instead be putting the catch can in the line between the PCV and intake manifold.

How this changes things:
  • The new location does not work with my planned position for the catch can, so the mounting bracket has to be completely redesigned. This means the mounting bracket will be much more complex and might take a round or two of fitting/altering the prototype to ensure it's perfect before I get the batch made, adding a little extra time to the project. However, the mounting bracket will still attach to the same place and be mostly hidden.
  • The hose going from the PCV to the intake manifold (the new location for the catch can) cannot be cut or modified, so it has to be completely removed with new hoses made with similar quick connects. That means more cost. But it also means that *nothing* needs to be cut/drilled/modified. This kit is 100% reversible with no extra cost.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:52 PM
CARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by irish07
I've done a oil catch can on V12's like the DB9..never on a V8..but would not be a problem. I had first issues with my own car(Mustang) when I had gone forced induction and had to much blow-by. I ordered a oil catch can from

(http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...erator-79.html)

It solved my issue perfectly..I then had a off warranty DB9 that the concern was, too much oil in the intake filters and intake manifold even after client replaced his own PCV's. Car was running normal and not burning abnormal amounts of oil, but guess it bothered the client so became my concern..Advised client I could fit 2 catch cans from UPR..client gave the loved the idea, installed 2 catch cans off the intake tube pcv feeds and solved the clients concern.

For the V8, the PCV is feed by the large rubber hose that comes off the top of the AOS..fit the catch can in-line of this large rubber hose. By doing this you can run the hoses close-by and out of sight but still have access from the top to empty between servicing.
would you have any photos of the V12 set up.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Rouselb is on a distinguished road
I would like to know how you fit 2 cans in the V12? I dont see anyway to fit one.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:21 PM
still waiting on the mounting bracket prototype. for the hoses, i'm not happy with some of the connectors i've seen so i'm doing it the hard (read: expensive) way and getting new ones to cannibalize to have a much better solution.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:46 AM
UPDATE (sorta)

My fabricator fell off the face of the planet so I'm looking around for another one. I've been testing the effectiveness of the catch can on my car, and it feels like it's running a bit more smoothly. I posted some pics in another thread, but here they are again. Sorry for the crappy quality, they're off my cell phone.

Here's where the catch can is sitting, without the mounting bracket:

The hose on top can be routed above or below the three plastic hoses, depending on whatever you're comfortable with. I've got it on top for stability while I'm waiting for the bracket.

The connectors I'm using are the actual connectors from original factory hoses. I'm buying new hoses from AM and cannibalizing them for the connectors since I couldn't find a supplier for the connectors alone.

Here's the oil it collected after ~700 miles of mixed driving (stop-and-go heavy traffic, fast highway traffic, and turn-heavy road course). The oil was VERY thick. I'm certain more of it was left in the catch can but I didn't feel like sitting around waiting for every last drop to come out.

So for the fabricators, there's a shop near my office that does some very high quality work... I'm going to be biting the bullet on this, but at least the time waiting won't be in vain

Last edited by telum01; 11-08-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 AM
Got an email from the fabricator this morning.

They've been backlogged because of the holidays and people getting their winter projects underway. Brackets are almost ready.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:32 AM
action-ant is on a distinguished road
Subscribed. Definitely interested in a future kit! Thanks Telum for all your work!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by action-ant
Subscribed. Definitely interested in a future kit! Thanks Telum for all your work!
I should have enough parts on hand for a couple extra kits. The fabricator is making some extra brackets for me, and I should have enough of the various bits on hand for two extra kits (you'll have to buy the catch can itself on your own, they're listed for $145 if I remember correctly, might not including shipping).

I wasn't going post anything about having some spares just yet because the people that have already paid in have been waiting very patiently for a long time (huge thanks to them for their patience), and I don't want to add more people to that list.

If there's a demand once the kits being made now are being used, I can put together another run of kits. The pricing included throughout this thread won't be applicable, though. I've actually spent much more on this project than I charged. Plus it will be just the kit, and each person will have to get the catch can separately.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AOS Catch Can