Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

loud cluncking noise when going to a stop first gear...normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 PM
VSKCHOI is on a distinguished road
loud cluncking noise when going to a stop first gear...normal?

hey guys.
parked the car..07 vantage for about 2 weeks...drove it today...and I noticed when I m coming to a stop...sport shift...to first gear ..I heard a loud clunking noise ...sounds like something fell down from the bottom...its kind of loud....and happened a few times today..only happens when I'm coming to a stop in first gear..
is this something I have to worry about?

Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 AM
hi guys
just to be more specific...it has the metal clanking noise when im going slow speed at a parking lot. sometimes on turns
It sounded like I had just run over a metal garbage can lid, though, which freaked me out to the point I got out of the car to see if I had either dropped a part of the engine on the ground or I had, indeed driven over a metal garbage can lid.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Something like this happens with mine occasionally (once or twice a year) -- I always chalk it up to gravel caught in the front brake shields. Usually on low speed turns, but not always. I agree, sometimes it sounds like metal parts have fallen out on the ground.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:53 AM
the sound makes me worried because it is pretty significant

Old 11-27-2013, 11:55 AM
happens at low speed as well, usually 1st gear..
it happens once every other day...its winter here, i dirve it when its not snowing...todays temp is around -4-0..
i wonder if it is due to cold?

Old 11-27-2013, 11:56 AM
when its cold, i hear all kinds of weird noises LOL

Old 11-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Cold = noises I discovered

It's clear skys and still no snow in Minneapolis, so until it snows I will keep driving the Vantage. My 07 manual shift did not seem to make as many 'noises' as my 09 sportshift, but if I park it outside and not in my heated garages, it makes all sorts of complaining noises, just like the garbage can lid clanging noises you described... gets progressively worse as the temperature drops closer to zero degrees F. Another thing is the tires do not like cold pavement at all. If my car could talk, it would tell me that it had a great life in sunny California for 4 years, and must have lived an evil past life to be sent to the frigid north, so I think the sounds are the cars way of telling you something that is not allowed to repeat on this blog.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:00 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Are you sure your parking brake is disengaged fully? They can get a bit sticky....

Summer tires are not designed to operate below 35 degrees, they will get hard and lose their grip. You need to change to an all season tire at the very least.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 PM
frankgtb is on a distinguished road
try going to a stop in neutral just to eliminate brakes, bearing or suspension as the problem

Old 11-28-2013, 07:57 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by frankgtb
try going to a stop in neutral just to eliminate brakes, bearing or suspension as the problem
Frank,
Don't know about your car but mine uses the brakes and suspension even when in neutral....

FF

Old 11-28-2013, 06:26 PM
it happeded again today!! at slow speed...sounds like the muffler fell to the ground and dragging....I stopped the car and after 15 secs driving it disappear....I don't understand....something at this price I don't expect to hear these noises...and I mean they r loud enough that ppl can hear it across the street...

Old 11-28-2013, 06:28 PM
and I checked underneath the car..everything seems normal

Old 11-28-2013, 10:28 PM
frankgtb is on a distinguished road
my mistake

i meant coast to a stop in neutral to eliminate the transmission/drivetrain gearing down as the source of the noise and then start looking at brakes, wheel bearing and suspension

Old 11-29-2013, 05:41 AM
jroback is on a distinguished road
I have heard that disconcerting sound too, but fortunately not very frequently. The first time I heard it I stopped, jumped out and checked to see if something was dragging under the car. Then I took it to the dealer, they checked it out, and couldn't find anything wrong.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:49 AM
wellll....i guess thats just the way they are in cold days....i have to wait til April MAy to see if i hear these noises...
it usually happens when i slwo down, to 1st gear, but if coast to netural to a stop...no noise...