Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Convince me ;-)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:23 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Cleaned up the thread. Please refrain from disparaging comments or anything else that can be considered offensive.

Originally Posted by Bleen

I have a few questions about the Vantage...

- How does it handle potholes/bad pavement?
- How fragile is the car? It it a 25 mile/day daily driver?
- Would you take it to a supermarket lot and do your groceries?
- How bad does it hurt financially when something goes bad? I know a clutch jobs is roughly $6k but give me some more examples, or you can link to a thread, I did a search but might have missed something.
- What income would you find comfortable having if purchasing an out-of-warranty Vantage? I won't say mine in the internet so this is the only way I could think of asking this. I'm NOT asking how much you make.

At this point both cars have so much going for them it's hard for me to decide.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the book, emotional times
Potholes and bad pavement depends on your wheel/tire and suspension setups. I have 19" wheels that ride wonderfully, some people have 18" wheels that should generally give a touch softer ride, and some have 20" wheels that should generally give a touch stiffer ride. Lowering your car (lots of people have H&R springs, including myself) that make things a bit more challenging on rough roads, but it's still very manageable in most situations.

These cars are pretty well built. I drive mine about 10k miles per year, including on the track. I drive to the track, do my runs, and then drive home. No issues with that so far.

I do use my car for grocery shopping runs. No problems so far.

Repairs can be costly and lengthy. Someone backed into my car 7 weeks after I got it. It took 8 weeks to fix it, and cost the guy's insurance company $18,400 in repairs, plus shipping the car to/from the shop, plus loss of value, plus loss of use. It was a 5-mph-or-so collision.

Far too many variables to say what income would be comfortable. You'll have to figure that into your own financial planning/budgeting to see how you feel. Get quotes for insurance (too many variables there, too, so just call your insurance and find out), and include that as well.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:53 AM
slayer of souls is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bleen
Hi guys,

I have a few questions about the Vantage...

- How does it handle potholes/bad pavement?
- How fragile is the car? It it a 25 mile/day daily driver?
- Would you take it to a supermarket lot and do your groceries?
- How bad does it hurt financially when something goes bad? I know a clutch jobs is roughly $6k but give me some more examples, or you can link to a thread, I did a search but might have missed something.
- What income would you find comfortable having if purchasing an out-of-warranty Vantage? I won't say mine in the internet so this is the only way I could think of asking this. I'm NOT asking how much you make.
I spent my own time doing analysis regarding making a practical; impractical decision (with help from the forum) Obviously buying an aston, was an impractical decision for me given I have never required a car, and if needed, a rental would cost me 40/day. I ride motorbikes and take the bus to work. But I also wanted to be sure I selected the right car.

-Potholes - toronto roads are garbage, and I drive slow in the city. Sure I get honked at like crazy, but I dont want to risk going over a pothole to quickly.

-daily driver I dont think the car is fragile at all. Answer depends on what you want it for. i look forward to pleasure rides, the second it become a "utility" vehicle it no longer that exclusive for me. Each time I go out is an occasion, and I want to look forward to that, without associating it with the mundane. Just my opinion.

-Supermarket - Sure
- Finance - Thats a huge risk, and very case by case basis. I got my car appraised and made sure it had full service history before considering it. I also got one with low kms, so thats a way to reduce but not eliminate the risk.

-Income is irrelevant, unless paired with your liabilities and factors such as timing (kids approaching uni?). You should know your finances on your own. Set a budget aside. for any repairs etc.

Whats your contingency plan? If your aston has to go through serious repairs that you cant afford does that impact your ability to commute to work etc?

Old 02-18-2014, 12:28 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by atlvantage
I have a V8V AND a Z4....where does that leave me??
Confused?

Just kidding...could not pass it up.

OP, go with the Z4. Vantage, while able is too nice to dd on bad roads imo. Persoanlly, I would go with a boxster S over the z4. More fun, more practical and just one of the best values in sports cars (used) around.
Z4 is nice too.
If you go with the A.M. leave an extra 15 minutes per commute to answer questions, allow people to sit in it etc. People love Astons and are very curious.

Last edited by riverflyer; 02-18-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM
atlvantage is on a distinguished road
Nah, I'm not confused at all. Got the Z4 for the wife, clearing the way for my Vantage. A smart play if I say so myself.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Well done indeed!

Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by telum01
Cleaned up the thread. Please refrain from disparaging comments or anything else that can be considered offensive.
OMG George Orwell will be turning in his grave as the Ministry of a Truth strikes with revisionism of 6speedonline internet posts.

It is PC gone mad when anti Porsche comments made in levity that pass the sensors on the BBC cannot be repeated in a 6SpeedOnLine forum.

Pathetic.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:06 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Frank, I enjoy the commentary just as much as anyone else. But the comments made, that I deleted, were nothing more than offensive attacks that did nothing to build the conversation.

If you'd like a second opinion, feel free to message GT3Chuck and we'll have him weigh in. If he thinks it was inappropriate for me to clean the thread like I did, we'll go ahead and undo it.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by telum01
Frank, I enjoy the commentary just as much as anyone else. But the comments made, that I deleted, were nothing more than offensive attacks that did nothing to build the conversation.

If you'd like a second opinion, feel free to message GT3Chuck and we'll have him weigh in. If he thinks it was inappropriate for me to clean the thread like I did, we'll go ahead and undo it.
Revising a post is a definite no-no on your part. If you want to censor a thread, then delete the entire offending post. It is simply unacceptable for a mod to change someone else's words. Who's to say what other posts a mod might choose to change? Do I need to go back and read everything I've ever written to make sure it hasn't been changed for some nefarious reason on a mods part?

This simply should not be allowed. Only the OP should be able to edit the post. Mods should only be allowed to delete.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:14 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Revising a post is a definite no-no on your part. If you want to censor a thread, then delete the entire offending post. It is simply unacceptable for a mod to change someone else's words. Who's to say what other posts a mod might choose to change? Do I need to go back and read everything I've ever written to make sure it hasn't been changed for some nefarious reason on a mods part?

This simply should not be allowed. Only the OP should be able to edit the post. Mods should only be allowed to delete.
I agree that mods should not edit posts. If it's offensive, edit the post and say Deleted with a reason why.

On a side note, I didn't find this thread offensive. Just a spirited conversation

Old 02-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Lol thanks everyone for the comments. I did understand the "girly car" comment but chose to ignore it.

I'm still working out the logistics and maybe I'll lease an electric for everyday driving and buy a Vantage for the occasion. The issue I'm having is that I only have one parking spot and street parking in LA is the worst.

Still don't have the solution worked out.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Isn't being a Moderator fun? LOL

Old 02-19-2014, 12:27 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
Nothing wrong with the edit. Typical overreaction by XJRS.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
If you want to flame someone then this is my fault for not providing telum01 adequate guidance when he volunteered to moderate the Aston section...let me just say that you guys are lucky to have him...time has shown me that changing a members post will likely infuriate them even if you are justified in doing so because of its content...it is better just to remove the offending post and ask the member to clean up their act...sorry for the confusion regarding posting and moderation policy

Old 02-19-2014, 01:11 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by V12V
Nothing wrong with the edit. Typical overreaction by XJRS.
Typical? Hardly. Revisionism is never acceptable; for history or here.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner

Thanks for the support XJRS. I love you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Convince me ;-)