Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Convince me ;-)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
For all you free speech haters, and also to the OP, an interesting take on the Z4 and Porsche that somewhat makes the point......

"Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame has written a review of the new BMW Z4 M Coupe in his latest column published in Britain's Sunday Times. Clarkson is critical of the car's appearance, which he say "appears to have been styled by someone who wasn't concentrating." He says the rear of the car is "just plain, like a supermarket checkout girl." He's also critical of the car's ultra-stiff ride. "The traction control light flickers constantly, suggesting that the suspension is so stiff the rear wheels are actually airborne half the time. So it lurches and pitches and is generally pretty horrid," he adds. "It's probably the first disappointing BMW M car I've ever driven." Instead of buying a Z4 M, Clarkson suggests an alternative. "If you want this sort of car, the Porsche Gayman is an obvious rival," he writes. "It goes harder but is deeply embarrassing to be seen in. So what I'd do is buy the soft-top Z4 M instead. "

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/jeremy-clarkson-slams-z4-m-coupe-suggests-porsche-gayman.html#ixzz2tpV0EZs4

Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by FatFrank
For all you free speech haters, and also to the OP, an interesting take on the Z4 and Porsche that somewhat makes the point......

"Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame has written a review of the new BMW Z4 M Coupe in his latest column published in Britain's Sunday Times. Clarkson is critical of the car's appearance, which he say "appears to have been styled by someone who wasn't concentrating." He says the rear of the car is "just plain, like a supermarket checkout girl." He's also critical of the car's ultra-stiff ride. "The traction control light flickers constantly, suggesting that the suspension is so stiff the rear wheels are actually airborne half the time. So it lurches and pitches and is generally pretty horrid," he adds. "It's probably the first disappointing BMW M car I've ever driven." Instead of buying a Z4 M, Clarkson suggests an alternative. "If you want this sort of car, the Porsche Gayman is an obvious rival," he writes. "It goes harder but is deeply embarrassing to be seen in. So what I'd do is buy the soft-top Z4 M instead. "

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/jeremy-clarkson-slams-z4-m-coupe-suggests-porsche-gayman.html#ixzz2tpV0EZs4
Errrmmm that's the pre-09 model, they released an all new Z4 back then, which btw he looooved so much (he made a review on the show, together with the 370z, look it up).

Anyhow, I could care less what mr. Clarkson thinks about cars. It's certainly good entertainment but has zero factual value.

Btw I keep going back and forth with this but at this time I'm considering buying a Vantage and just carpooling with a coworker to work, thus driving it only every other day. He's already agreed to this.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:06 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Clarkson is a light entertainment presenter not a motoring journalist
If you want an appropriate review on a car find the test that Chris Harris did
Now he really can drive and knows what he is talking about

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=26310

Oh and he did a great video review on the Vantage S

Aston Martin Vantage S Review- eCOTY 2011 - YouTube

Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
Aston is not a "sensible" car. I think OP should buy a luxury car and be done with it.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
As far as the girly comment, this will make Aston Martin owners proud. Most SLK owners naturally progress to Aston Martins. It's not the best handling car out there but it's one of the prettiest. Similar to BMW going to Porsches. I too was looking for an Aston Martin V8V but changed at the last second for something more practical. My 911 gets a lot of comments from guys, but my SLK gets a lot of attention from girls. If I wasn't married, I'll probably have a date in my girly SLK every other week. Well not the type of girls I care for but a date is a date.

Another vote for the new Boxster, I was never a fan of the old ones but the new ones look pretty damn good. I've had a few extensive test drives, love the sports exhaust and the mid engine. The car handles better than my 911, lacks power though but that is not a concern for you. Not a fan of the new Z4.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!rMFB6nUCrU6BQqT5yOVD!~~_4.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	336719  
Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
That blue is spectacular (at least in the photo).

Old 02-20-2014, 02:52 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mikey k
Clarkson is a light entertainment presenter not a motoring journalist .......
Actually, you may not always like what he says, but Clarkson is the host and lead presenter of Top Gear which is officially "the most watched factual program in the world"

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...-in-the-world/

Last edited by FatFrank; 02-20-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:45 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Never mind the "girly"comments. I own a V12 Vantage, my track car was a Cayman R. I actually drove that car at the track in anger, and thats more than most Vantage drivers can say. The Cayman is a fantastic car, just an amazing drive. My car never let me down at the track, and it was driven hard. The balance is amazing and predictable. But its not the car for you. It really is a car for someone who wants a proper sports car. You sound like you want a luxury car that offers some "sporty" performance.

BMW does this very well. You should consider them more closely. The Z4 will likely offer you what you are looking for. Or possibly some 911 variant. You see one in every other driveway for a reason. They are a real drivers car and the do dual duty better than most. Unless you get a more special one, they may lack the visual drama you are craving.

The Vantage is one of my favourite cars ever. It is a really strange vehicle because its not really hardcore, its luxurious, it has storage, but its not really a daily driver. I had my V12 and my R8V10 at the same time. The R8 looks more compromised than the Vantage. More like a true exotic. But the truth is it was a far better daily driver. It had better approach angles, an easier clutch, better vision, tougher paint and the electronic goodies that work.

If I could only have one, it would be the R8. If you have another sensible car, but a Vantage. Personally I feel the Vantage is the perfect car for people who do not need it.

BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, they all do double duty cars better.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by black penguin; 02-20-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Well, what happened to me last time around was that I thought the Vantage wasn't really a daily driver and this made me buy the M3.

In the end, every day I drove the M3 I was thinking "F*ck me, I could be driving a friggin Vantage for crying out loud".

I have a feeling "settling" for a Z4 would provoke similar feelings.

I have no issue in putting 8k miles/year in a vantage. If it depreciates, then let it depreciate. Other than that, I don't see why I couldn't drive it every other day (15 miles each way, 2 or 3 times a week + weekend drives). Any particular reasons? If the car is reliable it should be doable.

I don't think another car is in the cards, other than my girlfriend's, which is the practical 4-door already.

This being said, I started looking for 09 Vantages (sportshift) at 70k or less and I found a total of ONE in the entire US. Am I on crack?

All other ones are higher... way higher. The car in question is this one:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2015&zip=90036&transm issionCode=AUT&maxPrice=85000&transmissionCodes=AU T&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=%5BASTON%5BVANTAGE%5B%5D %5D%5B%5D%5D&lastExec=1392768295000&vehicleStyleCo des=COUPE&modelCode1=VANTAGE&sortBy=derivedpriceAS C&makeCode1=ASTON&startYear=2009&showcaseOwnerId=0 &searchRadius=0&listingId=365490904&Log=0

Love the exterior color. Don't like the rims. The interior color would be awesome if it was darker, unsure without being able to see it in person. The issue with this car is the carfax. Accident reported back in 09. They couldn't say what it was when I called.

Thoughts?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:04 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
people do drive Astons all the time. I drive mine a lot in the summer, but not really. We have two Range Rovers that do the real stuff like street parking and groceries.

The Vantage is bullet proof, with the exception of the paint. I find it very soft. You need to wrap and you need to take care and I would hate to have to "fix" it.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:46 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by FatFrank
Actually, you may not always like what he says, but Clarkson is the host and lead presenter of Top Gear which is officially "the most watched factual program in the world"

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglopheni...-in-the-world/
You might want to review the "facts"
They were forced to make a documentary with only factual content to get visas on their last US visit, this is where this has come form

Needless to say they didn't

I like what they do, it is entertaining (most the time) it just ain't motoring journalism

Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mikey k
You might want to review the "facts"
They were forced to make a documentary with only factual content to get visas on their last US visit, this is where this has come form

Needless to say they didn't

I like what they do, it is entertaining (most the time) it just ain't motoring journalism
Plenty of nuggets of truth buried within the entertainment they provide. The show is SO much better than the American Top Gear, which is lame beyond description.

I like 5th Gear equally as much as Top Gear; both are great.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:09 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Bleen
Well, what happened to me last time around was that I thought the Vantage wasn't really a daily driver and this made me buy the M3.

In the end, every day I drove the M3 I was thinking "F*ck me, I could be driving a friggin Vantage for crying out loud".

I have a feeling "settling" for a Z4 would provoke similar feelings.

I have no issue in putting 8k miles/year in a vantage. If it depreciates, then let it depreciate. Other than that, I don't see why I couldn't drive it every other day (15 miles each way, 2 or 3 times a week + weekend drives). Any particular reasons? If the car is reliable it should be doable.

I don't think another car is in the cards, other than my girlfriend's, which is the practical 4-door already.

This being said, I started looking for 09 Vantages (sportshift) at 70k or less and I found a total of ONE in the entire US. Am I on crack?

All other ones are higher... way higher. The car in question is this one:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...65490904&Log=0

Love the exterior color. Don't like the rims. The interior color would be awesome if it was darker, unsure without being able to see it in person. The issue with this car is the carfax. Accident reported back in 09. They couldn't say what it was when I called.

Thoughts?
Well, if you intend to keep it for a long time and don't mind some maintenance bills (tires, clutch, some unexpected thing with the headlight leveling system), that could be fine. You won't break it, you'll just wear and tear it. Chancellor Red is a bit much in my opinion. Iron Ore is way better but, there isn't one out there. As for the carfax, that's at least a significant part of the very low price. You will experience a similar lack of value if you ever hope to sell/trade it. But worse because of all the wear/tear.

Also, have you driven a Sport Shift? Try one before you buy. Not bad, I like it actually, but many people don't or at least have to get used to it. Your commuting sounds like surface streets and the SS is most unpleasant in stop and go driving.

The only time I don't like driving my Vantage is when I'm stuck in traffic. Keep that in mind.

BTW; what part of LA are you in and commuting through?

Old 02-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by IbisRider
Well, if you intend to keep it for a long time and don't mind some maintenance bills (tires, clutch, some unexpected thing with the headlight leveling system), that could be fine. You won't break it, you'll just wear and tear it. Chancellor Red is a bit much in my opinion. Iron Ore is way better but, there isn't one out there. As for the carfax, that's at least a significant part of the very low price. You will experience a similar lack of value if you ever hope to sell/trade it. But worse because of all the wear/tear.

Also, have you driven a Sport Shift? Try one before you buy. Not bad, I like it actually, but many people don't or at least have to get used to it. Your commuting sounds like surface streets and the SS is most unpleasant in stop and go driving.

The only time I don't like driving my Vantage is when I'm stuck in traffic. Keep that in mind.

BTW; what part of LA are you in and commuting through?
Well, I decided not to approach that car in the end. They couldn't tell me what the accident was. I opted to approach a different car that's also out of state. I'm in the initial dealings but the price seems fine (I negotiated a bit over 5% discount). The car is fully optioned out. I'll probably post a new thread with the info if I end up going forwards with it.

I have test driven an 07 SS and an 09 SS, the 07 was a bit meh but maybe it was just me not getting it through its paces as it was my first time in a Vantage. The 09 I test drove last weekend and loved it. I see how it shakes a bit when shifting if you don't feather the throttle, and at a couple of point I swore I shifted but the car didn't. Otherwise it was fine.

Why don't you like driving in traffic? I mean ha, nobody does, but what makes the Aston worse when dealing with traffic?

I'm commuting from the LACMA/Miracle Mile area to Hawthrone through La Cienaga.

If this doesn't work for me with the Vantage it won't be a big deal since a move might be in the works in two or three months.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:22 PM
atlvantage is on a distinguished road
Bleen,
A nice Vantage SS '09 or newer is going to run closer to 80k. The extra money you spend to buy a nice, "right" car in good shape will be returned to you many time over. There is no such thing as a steal. Everyone that owns a Vantage, be it a dealer or private individual, knows what their car is worth. If one is well under market you have to believe that there is a reason. Buy the nicest car you can afford to purchase, not the least expensive. If paying upper 70's to low 80's is more than you want to commit then strongly look at an 07-08. You can buy a tremendously nice car in your price range. And I'd rather have a nice 380hp car than a questionable 420hp car for the same money.

One other thing to keep in mind is that once you make a decision, you'll roll with it. You are a car guy. Buy the car that captures you. The rest of it works itself out. If you've always wanted a Vantage, buy one. Who cares if it's designed for daily use. Or if it gets good gas mileage. Or if it chatters over potholes (which it does.) The car is tremendously fun, looks like a million bucks and puts a huge smile on your face every day you drive it. You'll never lie on your death bed wishing you'd never bought an Aston Martin. But you could bemoan the fact that you didn't.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Convince me ;-)