Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Convince me ;-)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by atlvantage
Bleen,
A nice Vantage SS '09 or newer is going to run closer to 80k. The extra money you spend to buy a nice, "right" car in good shape will be returned to you many time over. There is no such thing as a steal. Everyone that owns a Vantage, be it a dealer or private individual, knows what their car is worth. If one is well under market you have to believe that there is a reason. Buy the nicest car you can afford to purchase, not the least expensive. If paying upper 70's to low 80's is more than you want to commit then strongly look at an 07-08. You can buy a tremendously nice car in your price range. And I'd rather have a nice 380hp car than a questionable 420hp car for the same money.

One other thing to keep in mind is that once you make a decision, you'll roll with it. You are a car guy. Buy the car that captures you. The rest of it works itself out. If you've always wanted a Vantage, buy one. Who cares if it's designed for daily use. Or if it gets good gas mileage. Or if it chatters over potholes (which it does.) The car is tremendously fun, looks like a million bucks and puts a huge smile on your face every day you drive it. You'll never lie on your death bed wishing you'd never bought an Aston Martin. But you could bemoan the fact that you didn't.
Knowing myself, I wouldn't be content with an 08 or older. I'd always wished I would have bought an 09. I firmly believe the right 09 is out there for the right price. It's just a matter of finding the right car, negotiating, and having it thoroughly inspected. I know one of the forum members got an 09 for $65k last year. I won't be as ambitious but I believe I can approach the low 70s.

I've had cars with just as bad gas mileage (M3), probably similarly inadequate suspension for potholes (SLK). I can deal with those.
In the end I think it's your last couple of phrases that sums it up.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:31 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
get the 90 or newer

I had an 07 and loved it. However now I have an 09 and know that if I had bought an older car I would have really regretted it. The price difference between an 07/08 and an 09 or even 10 is not that great considering you'll spend $60+ for a good older Vantage. The 06 to 07 car is different enough, unless you got a steal on an 06 I'd stick with an 07+.

It took me a month to find my 09 with my son and I seeking the internet a few times a day. I also preferred to buy from an Aston dealer, just from a comfort level they are not likely to sell a lemon and that you are assured of an extended warranty. At a certain age (I bought my 09 about 8 months ago) Aston can extend the original factory warranty, not a 'used car' lesser warranty. I was not worried about mileage because I had an 07 and drove it 23,000 miles trouble free - the original clutch and the brakes were even fine after hard driving, mostly in Minneapolis traffic. If your going to find a bargain, I'd suggest looking for a, 09+ at an Aston Dealer with a wee bit higher miles (mine had 31,000) that has been on the floor for a few months or so. A dealer is not likely to negotiate a lot unless they start feeling the pain of inventory.

Higher mile Astons generally don't fly off the lot so fast. Look for the colors that are acceptable. It is a big deal because if you compromise it will dwell on you.

To provide a benchmark, mine was $65,000 delivered to Minneapolis from California and had gone through the inspections to be an Aston Martin 'Certified' used car. This allowed me to extend the original factory warranty for two more years for less than $7,000.

Flaws? There was a small dent that 'dent-kraft' fixed for $50.00 (not sure why the dealer did not do this). There are also a few very small rock chips and no clear bra - I figure another $2,000 or so to get it right. I'm also not thrilled with the stock (boring non-Sport) wheels and will likely upgrade to the '14 wheels, and maybe clear tail lamp. The interior and rest of the car looks showroom new, and the colors are not too far off of what I would have ordered new. What I'll ultimately decide before any upgrades is to wait until I see what the next Vantage looks like. If that is what I'd want, I'll wait until they have been on the market a few years then trade for a year old used newer Vantage instead of spending any on upgrades to what I have.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
I had an 07 and loved it. However now I have an 09 and know that if I had bought an older car I would have really regretted it. The price difference between an 07/08 and an 09 or even 10 is not that great considering you'll spend $60+ for a good older Vantage. The 06 to 07 car is different enough, unless you got a steal on an 06 I'd stick with an 07+.

It took me a month to find my 09 with my son and I seeking the internet a few times a day. I also preferred to buy from an Aston dealer, just from a comfort level they are not likely to sell a lemon and that you are assured of an extended warranty. At a certain age (I bought my 09 about 8 months ago) Aston can extend the original factory warranty, not a 'used car' lesser warranty. I was not worried about mileage because I had an 07 and drove it 23,000 miles trouble free - the original clutch and the brakes were even fine after hard driving, mostly in Minneapolis traffic. If your going to find a bargain, I'd suggest looking for a, 09+ at an Aston Dealer with a wee bit higher miles (mine had 31,000) that has been on the floor for a few months or so. A dealer is not likely to negotiate a lot unless they start feeling the pain of inventory.

Higher mile Astons generally don't fly off the lot so fast. Look for the colors that are acceptable. It is a big deal because if you compromise it will dwell on you.

To provide a benchmark, mine was $65,000 delivered to Minneapolis from California and had gone through the inspections to be an Aston Martin 'Certified' used car. This allowed me to extend the original factory warranty for two more years for less than $7,000.

Flaws? There was a small dent that 'dent-kraft' fixed for $50.00 (not sure why the dealer did not do this). There are also a few very small rock chips and no clear bra - I figure another $2,000 or so to get it right. I'm also not thrilled with the stock (boring non-Sport) wheels and will likely upgrade to the '14 wheels, and maybe clear tail lamp. The interior and rest of the car looks showroom new, and the colors are not too far off of what I would have ordered new. What I'll ultimately decide before any upgrades is to wait until I see what the next Vantage looks like. If that is what I'd want, I'll wait until they have been on the market a few years then trade for a year old used newer Vantage instead of spending any on upgrades to what I have.
Yeah I remember that car, you got a hell of a deal on that one.
At this point I'm looking at an 09 with roughly 24k miles, all options including sports pack for 72k delivered to Cali. Colors are good. Not my favorite but good.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:30 PM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Bleen
Knowing myself, I wouldn't be content with an 08 or older. I'd always wished I would have bought an 09. I firmly believe the right 09 is out there for the right price. It's just a matter of finding the right car, negotiating, and having it thoroughly inspected. I know one of the forum members got an 09 for $65k last year. I won't be as ambitious but I believe I can approach the low 70s.
I agree with avoiding the 2008 or older. 2009s with great color combos but higher miles, maybe 25K, can be bought in the low 70s pretty straightforwardly.

If you drive them you will go through tires, brake pads and oil changes, but the clutches seem to last very well. Once they are sorted out they do really well as daily drivers.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Ben348 is on a distinguished road
Hi guys,

Around halfway through last year I decided it was about time to replace my old trusty SLK350 with something beefier.

Funny, I just traded in my 350G7 SLK (and a ferrari) for a '05 V8vantage!
I too wanted something with more oumpff.
I , sort of, use it as a daily driver. That means I sometimes use it for getting the grosseries.

Park it with care and you will never regret the change!

Regards. Ben

Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 PM
RudyP is on a distinguished road
Just got a new to me 2010 V8 Vantage. I love it!

I highly recommend it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vantage in garage.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	500.0 KB
ID:	338707  
Old 02-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Just put a deposit for an 09 V8 Vantage. Should be a couple of weeks till I can take delivery... can't wait.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:44 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by atlvantage
I have a V8V AND a Z4....where does that leave me??
Atlvantage,
I think that means you must be what my wife terms "a modern man"

Old 02-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Just put a deposit for an 09 V8 Vantage. Should be a couple of weeks till I can take delivery... can't wait.
Top job Bleen. You won't be disappointed.

Looks like we convinced you

FF

Old 02-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by RudyP
Just got a new to me 2010 V8 Vantage. I love it!

I highly recommend it.
Rudy,
Vantage looks great. I'd park it on the other side of the garage, opposite the hanging ladders, if I were you!

FF

Old 02-25-2014, 07:38 AM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
Excellent choice

Old 03-02-2014, 06:10 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
Hi B, I was going to post on the thread but it might be lost with all the messages. I've had my Vantage for 5 years and it hasn't given me any real issues. I have enhanced it some yearly always choosing better options than stock. By the way shameless plug, my Vantage is for sale right now in the market place, but that is beside the point, lol. Clutch has been replaced, exhaust, rims, etc. Get the car that moves you, when I first purchased the Vantage, I sat in it in the garage for a long period of time. I had a great sense of accomplishment, and for a car guy the best reward is the car one has been eyeing for years. You seem to know what car you want but keep purchasing other cars just because they are cheaper, yet they don't fill you. Don't ever settle, reward yourself when you deserve it. Oh yeah, get a daily driver, for example I had a MazdaSpeed 6.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:11 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
By the way read you put a deposit down, congrats. Now try to be able to sleep till you get it, and the first week after, lol. Enjoy

Old 03-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Car has been prepped for shipping and will be here between Thursday and Saturday. Can't wait.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Car has been prepped for shipping and will be here between Thursday and Saturday. Can't wait.
Congrats!!! Post some photos when it arrives.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Convince me ;-)