Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Convince me ;-)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Convince me ;-)

Hi guys,

Around halfway through last year I decided it was about time to replace my old trusty SLK350 with something beefier. Given that I've had some investments go pretty well, leaving a nice lump sum in my lap, and that I consider the Vantage the most beautiful car in production, I decided to give it a test drive. I remember posting a couple of questions in this forum.

I liked it but going from a ~50k car to a ~150k car seemed a bit much and in the end I opted for something cheaper, with two extra seats.

I got a '10 M3 vert and while it was a very good car I was never "in love" with it the way I was with the SLK. I kept tabs on Vantage prices and I even bought Grant's book.

Well, I had an accident in the freeway last week, in which my M3 was totaled. Luckily I don't have a scratch or even neck pain!

So now I'm in the prowl again. I wasn't prepared to change my car so soon but oh well. First world problems.

So far I've been back and forth with two very similar and yet very different cars. One, you guess, is the Vantage. The other is a BMW Z4. Yes I know. How can I even cross shop? Ha. Well, I realized driving the M3 that those extra ~100hp over the SLK were mostly wasted in the city. And I don't really track my cars. So power while important is not deterministic over say 300bhp.

I know the Z4 is going to be a lot cheaper to purchase and maintain: ~40k for a barely used '12 with 4 year CPO warranty left, including 2 years maintenance, vs $70k at the least for a similar mileage 09 Vantage with no warranty or maintenance plan.

But. While it sounds very good, it has NOTHING on a Vantage. While it looks fine it pales in comparison of the V8's lines.

I can deal with increased gas costs on the Vantage (~$100 more/month), increased insurance (~$150-$200 more a month), but I'm worried about the maintenance and usability. My commute is around 25 miles roundtrip in the crappy streets of LA (mostly no freeway).

-------- TL;DR section starts here --------

I have a few questions about the Vantage...

- How does it handle potholes/bad pavement?
- How fragile is the car? It it a 25 mile/day daily driver?
- Would you take it to a supermarket lot and do your groceries?
- How bad does it hurt financially when something goes bad? I know a clutch jobs is roughly $6k but give me some more examples, or you can link to a thread, I did a search but might have missed something.
- What income would you find comfortable having if purchasing an out-of-warranty Vantage? I won't say mine in the internet so this is the only way I could think of asking this. I'm NOT asking how much you make.

At this point both cars have so much going for them it's hard for me to decide.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the book, emotional times

Old 02-16-2014, 06:44 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
SLK, Z4, have you considered the Porsche Cayman?

Last edited by telum01; 02-18-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by FatFrank
SLK, Z4, have you considered the Porsche Cayman?
Many people have recommended Porsches but for the life of me I can't even get myself to test drive one, I don't like how they look. SPECIALLY their convertibles.

Last edited by telum01; 02-18-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 AM
V12V will become famous soon enough
I love my Vantages but I would not use them for a daily driver. Especially where you are driving. Too much wear and expensive tear. I've driven Astons's in LA traffic and If I had to do it on a daily basis I'd go nuts. I would wait on a Vantage until you can make it your second car.
The BMW or Porsche would be a better choice. My wife has a 2013 Boxster S and it is a great car. Does everything right. But, you have to have the S as the standard Boxster is way underpowered. A cayman S would be a good choice as well.
I agree with you on the SLK. I still have my 2005 SLK55 and will probably keep it forever.
Drive a 2013 or 14 Boxster S or Cayman S and see what you think.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Daily driver for an urban drive?
Get the Z4.

When you move to La Canada and can drive Angeles Crest on a whim, then you should get the Vantage.

The car can probably handle the abuse of your 25 miles, but it seems like a poor fit for your need right now.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:25 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bleen
Many people have recommended Porsches but for the life of me I can't even get myself to test drive one, I don't like how they look. SPECIALLY their convertibles.
I think you missed his point in that he's suggesting you should be considering one of the 'girlyman' cars instead of a Vantage, including the 'Cayman'....

Last edited by telum01; 02-18-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:07 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Are you one of the few or one of they many?

Old 02-17-2014, 12:25 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
Ok girls. Play nice now.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:46 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
I think you missed his point in that he's suggesting you should be considering one of the 'girlyman' cars instead of a Vantage, including the 'Cayman'....
Easy does it XJRS Owner… The Porsche Cayman is a pure sports car and the latest rendition of it is especially capable on the track. I've owned a Boxster S and while I thought it to be a bit of a chick car, it was also one of the finest cars I've ever owned.

Last edited by telum01; 02-18-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Mark8V8 will become famous soon enoughMark8V8 will become famous soon enough
The Vantage is a rugged car. I have watched them tracked hard and driven home, no problem. My concern is how you feel using one for everyday driving and parking at grocery stores and the mall. For me it's best to have a DD and enjoy the Vantage for weekends and some light commute days.

Mark

Old 02-17-2014, 06:30 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Nail hit firmly on the head.

Last edited by telum01; 02-18-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Easy does it you guys ( including Clarkson ). The Porsche Cayman is a pure sports car and the latest rendition of it is especially capable on the track. I've owned a Boxster S and while I thought it to be a bit of a chick car, it was also one of the finest cars I've ever owned.

Last edited by telum01; 02-18-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:31 PM
atlvantage is on a distinguished road
I have a V8V AND a Z4....where does that leave me??

Old 02-18-2014, 01:14 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
a car must make you feel good when you look at it! the Z4 is a artists impression of an identity crisis, the vantage says you are certain about what you want, I drive mine often, could not care less about the gas and when it needs a clutch we will just put one in (and poor a double whiskey that eve) it seduces me and any other person who sees it, unlike a Porsche (despite being brilliant at everything) its so common and ugly, at a club I go too we have 2 xR8's and so many variants of porsches and testosterone pimped little BMW's no notices.... unfortunately when the Vantage roars in every one notices not that I care but it sends a clear message i don't need to huddle with the boys and have little discussions about chrome this or carbon that its a car and one helluva car at that, that needs no introduction , my fuse 22 is in the bin and we have opened the cats so its like the gods of thunder having a matrimonial dispute when i come or go

Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 AM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
Get the BMW. You sound like a practical guy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Convince me ;-)