Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Things I've learned during my wrap project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:18 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Things I've learned during my wrap project

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

I've never wrapped an entire car before and the sum total of my experience working with vinyl was when I put some stripes on my car last year. Given this, here is what I learned:
  • This is a difficult and time-consuming task. I worked on it for a month and a half mostly nights and weekends.
  • Seeing videos on installing vinyl is a great education but it will never substitute doing it yourself and wasting a bunch of expensive material. I'm convinced I could do the same job now in 75% of the time with 75% of the vinyl. Be prepared to break some eggs!
  • The flakes in metallic matte vinyl is directional so if you have adjoining panels they should be oriented the same way to avoid mismatches in color appearance. This means that you require more material than if you were using other kinds of vinyl.
  • The lack of seams on Astons means that you need longer pieces to do a single panel. For example, the wing panel from the base of the A-pillar near the bonnet to the taillight is one contiguous piece. This also means that if you screw up, you just wasted an even bigger piece of material.
  • You can wrap a car with about 50ft of 6-foot wide vinyl if you know what you're doing. More if it's metallic though.
  • That much vinyl costs about $600US so the rest of the price you pay to have your car wrapped is in the labor (and it's worth it).
  • There is no need to cut using a knife on the painted surface of the car. Look up "knifeless tape" to see how it's done.
  • Wrapping your door jambs and sills really completes the finish and makes the job look more professional. Of course it costs more.
  • Taking off things like lights, bumpers, trim, badges, etc. is essential to a quality-looking, professional job.
  • Car wrap vinyl is an amazing material. You can practically wad it up into a ball and pull it apart and after applying some heat it will return to an almost new appearance with no wrinkles.
  • The consistency of vinyl wrap material varies dramatically when heat is applied. It gets floppy and thin like cellophane when warm and much more rigid once it cools.
  • Air-regress technology is awesome in avoding annoying air bubbles on large panels, but it can still leave air pockets in small creases and other recesses.
  • The car must be absolutely spotless and dust free. The most minute spec of dust shows as a small pimple under the surface that cannot be removed.
  • Stretching out the material over the surface as smoothly as possible to create "glass" prior to using a squeegee is essential to making nice surfaces and avoiding wrinkles as you work out to the edges of the material.
  • Over-stretching vinyl beyond its threshold will cause it to get irreparably damaged. Gloss film will turn cloudy. Matte film will turn glossy. You need to learn the limits of what the material can do.
  • Working alone is doable, but it would be nice to have two qualified installers working simultaneously. There is not enough work to keep an untrained assistant busy more than 2% of the time, so having a second trained installer allows that person to work independently on other parts of the car during the remaining 98% of the time they are not helping you. Wish I had such an assistant. Would have made my life way easier and the job wouldn't have taken 1.5 months.
  • If you don't have patience and attention to detail, or don't know how to take a car body apart, I would suggest you get a professional to do it for you.
  • The professional wrap installers certainly earn every cent they charge for this job. Seriously, pay someone else to do it.
  • Matte finishes on paint an vinyl wraps is a pain to maintain if you have serious OCD issues like me. Every place you touch you will leave a shiny oil mark that has to be removed by wiping with isopropyl alcohol.
  • Apparently, bug guts are oily too. Every gnat and noseeum that flys in the path of your car at speed will leave a shiny splotch that will need to be wiped down as well.
  • Modern Astons are nicely engineered and designed to be taken apart fairly easily.
  • The quality of materials chosen is way above the standard of most cars. I know it doesn't do much for weight-savings but this isn't an Elise nor doesn't pretend to be. When you hold the big, heavy hunk of solid metal that is the door pull, door sill, or side strake you appreciate that they are not made of chintzy plastic like in most cars.
  • I am certain that I could do a much better job than the typical final quality inspector who puts his name on the plaque in your car. When I come across some build defects I am surprised that anyone (other than Mr. Maggoo) actually claims to have looked the car over.
  • Factory approved service centers aren't much better. I found a few clear coat paint runs and poor prep work from a recent fender-bender repair.
  • Working on this was therapeutic and now there is a void from having finished the project that must be filled with some new task to learn/do.
  • No, wouldn't want to do this for someone else's car. The pressures and stress of working on another's P&J and on their schedule would take away the fun, therapeutic parts of it.

Last edited by karlfranz; 03-12-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by karlfranz

• The professional wrap installers certainly earn every cent they charge for this job. Seriously, pay someone else to do it.
Indeed.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 PM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Truly impressive job

I want to wrap just the bright window trim. Would you advise against this as a DIY also?

Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
It's hard to advise for or against you or anyone else doing a task when only you know your skill set and level of competence. The window trim can be wrapped while still on the car. But to do the job well, it really should be removed. That is more than most people, especially your typical Aston owner, is willing to do.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
You summed this project up completely. It's not easy. When you look at the areas that are one piece or have extreme curves, it makes it more difficult. Heat is key on this.

Pay someone to do it. You all make to much to spend a month on the project.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:40 AM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
Love the color choice. Second paying someone else. I'd rather save money cutting my own lawn grass

Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by elite1
You summed this project up completely. It's not easy. When you look at the areas that are one piece or have extreme curves, it makes it more difficult. Heat is key on this.

Pay someone to do it. You all make to much to spend a month on the project.
Just to be clear, saving money was never a motivation for tackling this task. If you look at threads regarding some of my previous projects, you will see that every few months I teach myself a new skill. It's therapy for me. But I'm not your usual individual as others will attest.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 PM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
Great wrap job, excellent photos, and the narrative was really fun to read. You're right - "...pay someone else to do it." What a PITA this job is.

Nicely done Karl!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by spf1410
Nicely done Karl!
Ditto

Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Just to be clear, saving money was never a motivation for tackling this task. If you look at threads regarding some of my previous projects, you will see that every few months I teach myself a new skill. It's therapy for me. But I'm not your usual individual as others will attest.

Karl, I applaud you on your achievements, I am the same way on creating a impossible task (for myself) and get results.

I see that other "posters" have commented on the actual wrap job, I don't see this in your post. Do you have photos posted that I am not seeing?

Old 03-12-2014, 05:32 AM
Texas F1 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by elite1
I see that other "posters" have commented on the actual wrap job, I don't see this in your post. Do you have photos posted that I am not seeing?
See separate thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

Old 03-12-2014, 11:11 PM
Now I see, WOW! Great job! Much respect for your achievement. Great color choices.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:53 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
Karl, Great job. I sent you a PM

Old 03-13-2014, 07:52 AM
b_gust99 will become famous soon enough
Very impressive! You state that it serves as therapy for you. I am quite certain I would need therapy after tackling such a job! Well done sir.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:05 PM
G50CARERRA Is a GOD !G50CARERRA Is a GOD !G50CARERRA Is a GOD !G50CARERRA Is a GOD !G50CARERRA Is a GOD !G50CARERRA Is a GOD !G50CARERRA Is a GOD !G50CARERRA Is a GOD !G50CARERRA Is a GOD !G50CARERRA Is a GOD !G50CARERRA Is a GOD !
I also live in Melbourne. I would love to meet up and buy you a coffee or other beverage of your choice in order to have a look at your car. Mine is the Metorite one in the Viera area.