Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Will I regret it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:43 PM
911MTB will become famous soon enough
Will I regret it?

So for most of my adult life I have always had a daily driver and a "fun" car. I'm now at the point where I can afford to add a second "Fun" car and I have been checking out the V8V for over a year now. I love the car inside and out. I currently have a 996 Turbo Porsche as my fun car and love it. I think the Vantage would be a nice compliment as it is more of a GT while my Porsche is a pretty hard core sports car. I also think I would enjoy the cars in very different ways-the Porsche for its rear engine dynamics and ridiculous thrust of the turbo, the Vantage-just look at it-and the intoxicating exhaust note. So should I do it? Will I enjoy the Vantage enough to justify having a third car for myself? I am normally very decisive but I find myself going back and forth on this like a pendulum on a clock. Do I just say f it and get the Vantage or should I wait? I am looking at a 2007 Vantage, six speed manual. Keep in Mind I am in Canada so my "fun" cars are only on the road for about 6 months of the year.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:50 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Have you driven one yet? That's going to tell you a lot.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Have you driven one yet? That's going to tell you a lot.
Yes I haven driven one and I did enjoy the driving experience.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:21 PM
slayer of souls is on a distinguished road
In Toronto here and purchased an 07 V8V back in Oct 2013.

I dont regret a thing.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:43 PM
RudyP is on a distinguished road
As someone who DDs an M3 and has two 911s (996TT and 993 C4S) and just recently added a 2010 V8V to the stable, I can tell you that I love it. Very different from the 911s and definitely adds a new dimension.

Obviously you'll want to check them out yourself but I find that it is very complimentary. I'm more of Porsche guy deep down and not sure I would have made a switch if I could not keep Porsches but as an addition, I really think the Vantage hits a sweet spot.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:13 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 911MTB
Yes I haven driven one and I did enjoy the driving experience.
After your experience! My guess the regret might be not getting one sooner. Good luck !

Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
If you have to ask and agonize over the question......perhaps you are not in love with the idea and therefore not in your best interest. If you do not lust over owning an Aston you should not have one.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:26 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Great answer DonBond!

Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Really a different driving experience, though by the numbers the Aston Vantage targets the 911 S of the same era. Having owned many Porsches (and just sold my Vantage to AM of Washington to get a 991) some obseravations:

* Materials used in the build are far nicer in the Aston. There are a lot of production parts and vinyl/plastics in Porsches, where as you get metal and leather in the Vantage.

* Paint job is no comparison. Plenty of orange peel on Porsches, glass-smooth on the Aston.

* Maintenance costs: Better on the Porsche. Astons can be tough on parts and service, but not close to Ferraris.

* Performance: The Vantage is very neutral and easy to drive fast. A Porsche is equally as capable but requires more driver involvement and effort.

* Daily Driver: The Porsche wins in my book, its a more usable car day in and day out.

* Resale: Astons can be hard to sell, many people are spooked by them, High mileage really makes them difficult to find a buyer.

No bad choices at this level, they are just different! Get what moves you.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 PM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
Subliminal message: ("Buy the Vantage ..... Buy the Vantage....)

Old 03-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Former Vendor
PowertechSelect is on a distinguished road
I have a 996TT with minor mods as a DD/track car (oxymoron, I know) and also have an 08 Vantage with some mods (exhaust, ECU). Two totally different cars, which is one of the main reasons I have it... Driving the Aston is an event. It's gorgeous in and out and has a great sound.

However, just keep in mind it will feel SLOW compared to your modded 996TT. An 09 or newer (4.7 liter) will be close the gap some, but there still will be a significant difference. You may be ok with this, just be aware.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:15 AM
WildBob has a spectacular aura aboutWildBob has a spectacular aura about
You can see 50 Porsches on the road in a day and to the untrained observer..."It's just another Porsche"... but with an Aston, you may be the only one seen in a month and everyone will notice how special it is...even if they dont know what it is...and many won't!

I am not an attention *****, but I do LOVE the attention I get in my DB9 Volante...and on that note, even though you are in Canada...get a Volante...you definitely won't regret that decision!

Old 03-27-2014, 07:42 AM
The feedback has been great, thanks. I just sent an email to go look at the car again...Will my lust for this car overrule my logic?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 AM
slayer of souls is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 911MTB
The feedback has been great, thanks. I just sent an email to go look at the car again...Will my lust for this car overrule my logic?
Always, if you need some help or have questions to specific dealers feel free to reach out. I can give you a breakdown of my experience.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by slayer of souls
Always, if you need some help or have questions to specific dealers feel free to reach out. I can give you a breakdown of my experience.
That's awesome, thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will I regret it?