Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Will I regret it?

Old 03-28-2014, 08:12 AM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
I have the modded 911 for track and the aston to do pretty things with the wife. She drives the 911 (pdk) sometimes too. We love the arrangement!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:45 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I have owned a Boxster S, and a Cayman R. Porsche is a killer drivers car. My Cayman R replaced an Audi R8 V10 as I wanted a dedicated track car. That Cayman R was just fantastic (has been since sold for Lotus 211).

I have owned a AMV8 and currently own a V12 Vantage. I just love these cars. The sense of occasion is fantastic. The materials are great. The car is cartoonish in proportions. ITs hard to believe it is only .25" longer than a Cayman, but a full 3" wider and an inch lower. The side windows are small. The hood is long and mostly not visible. The front is very low with the carbon splitter and must be looked after or you will scrape and bang it. The paint is amazing, but soft, The brakes and steering are spot on.

I LOVE my V12. As a second car it is hard to fault. Plus people love the car and don't think you are a ****** for driving it.

As a comparison, I had an Audi R8V10 and my V12 Vantage. The Audi is very like Porsche in that it is a real daily driver. You can park them anywhere. The nose is not too low. Like a Porsche you have a great sense of the very front tip of the car, so scraping is not a concern. In every way it is the more liveable car and I suspect the same is true of the Porsche.

The Aston will be more of an analogue experience. I love mine for the visceral joy of every surface, input, noise, reflection, and smile it gives me.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:02 AM
daveavt is on a distinguished road
Ive regretted it. Went from an 06 Cayman S with 118k miles on the clock, to a one owner Vantage V8 with only 36k on the clock. Its slower, ride quality is worse, interior rattles, either going back to a Cayman R or R8.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:59 AM
911MTB will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by daveavt
Ive regretted it. Went from an 06 Cayman S with 118k miles on the clock, to a one owner Vantage V8 with only 36k on the clock. Its slower, ride quality is worse, interior rattles, either going back to a Cayman R or R8.
I appreciate your candid response. I think the difference is that I am not looking to replace my 996TT, I am considering getting the Vantage to compliment it.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:15 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I have owned a Boxster S (987.1 non-DFI), a Cayman R, Audi R8V10, AMV8 and V12 Vantage. My experience with the Astons is not at all like yours Daveat.

I bought the Boxster S first. I owned it for around seven weeks before it was sold for the AMV8. I really loved the little Boxster S, but the Aston was calling me. Neither car had any rattles. The Aston is actually a very similarly sized car, just 1/4" longer, and inch lower and 3" wider. But it has a 5" longer wheel base, so there is no way the ride quality is the same. The Aston has a much better ride, the Boxster has less mass, neither of them will cosset you down the road. Though I really did like the short wheelbase feel of the Boxster. The Aston was faster IMHO. It also had a nice chunk of torque. Both are nice cars.

The AMV8 was sold for a V12 Vantage and a TTRS was added for winter. The TTRS made way for an R8V10, that served as my Daily Driver. In the summer months I drove both cars back to back most weeks. Once again, neither car had any rattles, except the Audi interior was just not up to the same standards. Lots of cheap looking plastic (I have owned 2 TT's, 2 TTRS's, an A4 and an S4 over the past few years, so I like and know the brand), the console was flimsy and the little cubby covers were cheap as well. A great interior for a car that costs half as much. But not really any rattles.

The R8V10 was faster than the V12 Vantage, but it did not feel it unless you were ready to do felony speeds. Around town the Aston felt quicker, and was the more rewarding car. It had a better soundtrack, it has killer steering and brakes (as does the Audi), but more importantly for a road car, it had more character. Competence is the Audi's downfall. It really does daily so well that you forget what you are in. I didn't drive enough for that to work for me, for people who drive much more, it might fit the bill.

I sold the R8V10 and kept the Aston.

The R8V10 made way for a Cayman R that became my track toy. I cannot fault that car. They are simply amazing and will be remembered as one of the best cars I have ever owned. The ride on mine was a little harsher than stock as I had done some work to it (GT3 Lower Control arms, monoballs etc). That said it was still great. Not great like an Aston, but it did not bother me at all. Once again neither car had any rattles and the Porsche saw mostly track miles. A very good car. A drivers car. It is not an Aston, but it is fantastic.

So, there's a different view. I'm guessing the specific car matters more than the marque. My Aston's have been problem and rattle free. Same goes for my Audi's and Porsche's.

Best of luck.

Last edited by black penguin; 04-01-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:16 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Bought my V8V stick 10 months ago... Daily driving her everywhere.

LOVING IT.

Now selling my SRT8 Jeep! Back to one car. Who needs cargo space!

Good friend has a modded 2005 911TT that I am familiar with... Superb thrust, but not my bag baby.

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 04-01-2014 at 10:20 AM.