Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 Euro Rear License Plate Holder Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 12:16 AM
Banned
jyu12 is on a distinguished road
DB9 Euro Rear License Plate Holder Conversion

I saw this REAR NUMBER PLATE LIGHT TRUNK LAMP ASSEMBLY on aston martin bits http://www.astonmartinbits.com/models/4-DB9/parts/1906 I was wondering if anyone has fitted this part to replace the US fitted rear license plate holder. Those big black license plate lamp holders looks hideous and really make our US DB9's look quite dated.

Last edited by jyu12; 04-08-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
I have a friend with a very early DB9 and his car has the euro-style rear license hardware. It looks way better. I've been tempted by that part on ambits too.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Banned
jyu12 is on a distinguished road
Any idea how your friend covered up the pre drilled holes visible on our US trunk lids after the plate and light housing is removed.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
His car was one of the first 50 built -- it just came that way. They must have changed it later.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 PM
clunker is on a distinguished road
Old 01-11-2019, 07:18 PM
astonChap will become famous soon enough
bringing this back from the dead. anyone here tried this? Would love the idea of the attached image on the db9 - assume it's a pain in the **** with the drill holes etc...

Old 01-11-2019, 08:26 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Simplest solution is to just get the DBS or 2013+ DB9 truck lid and covert over to that.

I have one for a Volante if anyone is interested. Got that by mistake rather than a coupe version which I will need after this one is sold

Old 01-11-2019, 08:29 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jyu12
I saw this REAR NUMBER PLATE LIGHT TRUNK LAMP ASSEMBLY on aston martin bits http://www.astonmartinbits.com/models/4-DB9/parts/1906 I was wondering if anyone has fitted this part to replace the US fitted rear license plate holder. Those big black license plate lamp holders looks hideous and really make our US DB9's look quite dated.

The AM Bits part goes to the DBS/2013+ trunk lid. NOT a regular DB9 trunk lid. While it may be possible to retrofit, there likely will be a lot of cutting and fitting to afix. Plus I think there is about 6 holes that a body shop will need to fill and paint, if I remember the DIY conversion thread correctly.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:34 PM
what’s the colour on that gene?

Old 01-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by astonChap
what’s the colour on that gene?
"gene" Not sure what you mean if your referring to the bootlid I have, its finished perfectly in Jet Black, but most likely will need scuffing and re-spray. It was grey when I got it.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:10 PM
DB9
DB9 is an unknown quantity at this point
My 2010 DB9 has the same ugly bumpers and I wanted to do the same following this example: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ate-mount.html

But when I took everything apart I found my boot lid is completely sealed -- there is no underlying plate as I've seen on other conversion examples. Here's a photo of how mine looks:
Does anyone else have a boot lid like this?

Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by DB9
My 2010 DB9 has the same ugly bumpers and I wanted to do the same following this example: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ate-mount.html

But when I took everything apart I found my boot lid is completely sealed -- there is no underlying plate as I've seen on other conversion examples. Here's a photo of how mine looks:
Does anyone else have a boot lid like this?
I am pretty sure all early DB9's are like that. Thats why the DBS and 2013+ light fixture shown in Ambits listing won't work, unless its all cut out for it. Easiest for you to purchase a DBS or 2013+ B9 bootlid and then buy the bits to fit it and install.

You need- and this is not all of the items due to listing off the top of my head:
Bootlid carpet, rear plate and button light fixture, new badges, AM wings, wiring harness for bootlid, plastic clips for bootlid carpet, suggested new hinge for latch, suggested new bumper bolts, suggested leather pull down strap, Third brake light lens and fixture, etc....

Your hinges, shocks will transgfer over and you don't need to even remove them from your car. Early DB9's have the radio antenna under the carpet on the bootlid. So that has to be retrofitted for the new bootlid which there are no mounting holes (not a huge issue, just place under carpet and that will hold down. Biggest issue fo rme was the wiring harness for all the items was NOT the same plug as the early DB9's. So you will have to figure out what goes to what on the in car plug, then TAP into the wires BELOW the plug and run them to the wires for the bootlid. That way you are not really changing anything on the car itself. BUT...... Third brake light for early DB9's is in the rear window, not the bootlid. So you must find those wires, unplug from the light itself, then tap into them and run to the bootlid. None of this is difficult by any means, but I learned alot of what works and what doesn't by at least getting to the stage where I found out my Volante bootlid doesnt work on a Coupe. Felt like an idiot, but bought from a forum member and they didnt realize it either. Not a cheap mistake, but hopefully someone will want it.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
"gene" Not sure what you mean if your referring to the bootlid I have, its finished perfectly in Jet Black, but most likely will need scuffing and re-spray. It was grey when I got it.
I’m losing it.. Thinking Gene was responding. Never mind the guy with the martini...