Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Engine making ticking noise.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:56 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Oh my.... You got a serious problem there! If you have access to a lift see if it sounds louder by the oil pan.

Has this car been bouncing off the rev limiter a lot or was over revved (manual)? What grade fuel are you running?

I can assure you this sound is not normal for any healthy engine regardless of make...

Old 09-07-2014, 09:03 PM
theegolden1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dan87951 View Post
Oh my.... You got a serious problem there! If you have access to a lift see if it sounds louder by the oil pan.

Has this car been bouncing off the rev limiter a lot or was over revved (manual)? What grade fuel are you running?

I can assure you this sound is not normal for any healthy engine regardless of make...
I'm running premium (91 here in the US). Never been over revved. And it only does it when the car is VERY warmed up (driven at least 30 plus minutes) and some days it doesn't do it at all. Drove it all day on Friday, and not a peep.

Also, I think it sounded louder in this video because it was in my garage next to my other car, slightly being amplified.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:10 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by theegolden1 View Post
I'm running premium (91 here in the US). Never been over revved. And it only does it when the car is VERY warmed up (driven at least 30 plus minutes) and some days it doesn't do it at all. Drove it all day on Friday, and not a peep.

Also, I think it sounded louder in this video because it was in my garage next to my other car, slightly being amplified.
You obviously don't need a mechanics stethoscope since it's so loud. If I understand you right... even though the car is at full operating temp sometimes it wont make the noise?

Since diagnosing noises over YouTube can be difficult I would get a independent to look at it before it gets serious! What kind of oil are you using? Do you change it yourself? If so send a sample off to blackstone labs for analysis. Notice any metal shavings on the last change? When you rev the engine does the tick increase with RPM?

Last edited by dan87951; 09-07-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by dan87951 View Post
You obviously don't need a mechanics stethoscope since it's so loud. If I understand you right... even though the car is at full operating temp sometimes it wont make the noise?

Since diagnosing noises over YouTube can be difficult I would get a independent to look at it before it gets serious! What kind of oil are you using? Do you change it yourself? If so send a sample off to blackstone labs for analysis. Notice any metal shavings on the last change?
Yes, you are correct, it ONLY does it at full operating temp BUT it doesn't do it all the time. I picked up the car 4 months ago, so I have never changed the oil yet. When it was low, I added what the manual recommended, 0-40w Mobil 1 Synthetic.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Yes, you are correct, it ONLY does it at full operating temp BUT it doesn't do it all the time. I picked up the car 4 months ago, so I have never changed the oil yet. When it was low, I added what the manual recommended, 0-40w Mobil 1 Synthetic.
I would get it looked at ASAP before it becomes big. Either way no DB9 should be making noises like that. You didn't happen to get that car at thrift auto sales did you? Buyer beware with them. Good luck!

Old 09-08-2014, 07:31 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Several threads on Pistonheads and AMOC forums regarding ticking V12 engines. Certainly not common, but also not unheard of. All seem to be OK from a performance standpoint, and some have been fixed by various component replacements. The most involved one I've recently read about was to replace an ovalized cylinder liner.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:51 AM
yankee04 has much to be proud ofyankee04 has much to be proud ofyankee04 has much to be proud ofyankee04 has much to be proud ofyankee04 has much to be proud ofyankee04 has much to be proud ofyankee04 has much to be proud ofyankee04 has much to be proud ofyankee04 has much to be proud ofyankee04 has much to be proud of
Had same exact sound on my X3 that would come & go. Sometimes only when the engine was cold other times when hot. It was a lifter / rocker.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:51 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future

I may be way off base, but it sounded like an exhaust leak to me, especially when the camera was close to the floor. Maybe a flange bolt needs to be tightened? Manifold crack? In any event, put the car on a lift and explore.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
I may be way off base, but it sounded like an exhaust leak to me, especially when the camera was close to the floor. Maybe a flange bolt needs to be tightened? Manifold crack? In any event, put the car on a lift and explore.
Hmmm? It did seem louder at the bottom. That would make my day if it was something loose. I'll have to did deeper in the matter. Thanks for that observation.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Conqueror is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
First thing I thought of too. Sounds like an exhaust manifold leak.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:58 AM
If it was an exhaust leak I would think the sound would be present all the time. The OP says the sound is intermittent. I wish the OP lots of luck though! Hopefully the AM gods have mercy! Either way it sounds expensive...

Last edited by dan87951; 09-11-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
First thing I thought of too. Sounds like an exhaust manifold leak.
Since it only happens when the engine is warmed up, is the exhaust manifold leak scenario like? Seems it would do it cold and quiet up as the engine heated up (metal expansion), tightening the leak. I could be wrong and hope the leak is the issue.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Just a little update.......had my oil changed about a month ago...........tick still exists. Still intermediate. Still only happens when the car is driven for quite a while and sometimes doesn't tick at all. Sometimes when it does start ticking it goes away after a while. So frustrating and annoying.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:38 AM
The only way this is going to get fixed is if you pay a mechanic to diagnose the problem. If I was a betting man, my money would be on the chain tensioners or cam followers (buckets, lashes, etc.) in the cylinder head. Usually these types of problems will only get worse so its better to get it fixed ASAP instead of doing the "wait and pray" approach.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Mike bamford rose will become famous soon enough
I just listened to the video clip on previous page and all the attempts / advice to diagnose issue, but does indeed sound like a base engine issue to me.

Sorry to say for OP and anybody else with similar problem, and after cylinder head components that have been / can be changed in situ have been ruled out (but they sound like different sort of tick than one in video), requires removal, strip, engine rebuild and refit to correct.

We have 3 '9's in with same problem (well, 2 nearly down 1 to go). All have worn small end bearings with oval liners, probably get around 2 cars per month coming in with same complaint.

2 quarts down on oil would not have been root cause of issue, especially if updated dipstick fitted.

Copied from my blog on PH...

Our experience of numerous ticking V12 engines, the mode of failure is small end bearing wear which causes faint ticking which goes mostly unnoticed (but on a few cars that visit our shop for basic service we can hear it looming as problem and the owner is blissfully unaware). However long it takes? the wearing small end causes piston to rock / rotate out of control, rings to flutter at high engine speed which starts to wear liner oval. At this stage, the oval liner (piston slap) and worn little end (faint tick) alerts the owner that the engine has an issue - cant avoid but notice because the engine sounds like an old ticking Talbot tapper. At this point also, oil consumption is normally a little high because the engine is internally breathing excessive oil through breather circuit system / back into inlet manifold. At this time its engine removal, strip, re-liner and engine / car rebuild. This is a pain because should this happen to an older high miler DB7 or DB9 the repair value Vs the cars market value questions if its economic to repair - Scary to think DB9 is in that category in 2014 but is a dilemma more than a few BR customers had to battle with.

The 'tick' doesn't seem to cause widespread problem to DB7 or Vanquish but is not unknown. Seems to be mostly an issue for early DB9 because as of yet, we have not seen problem on a 470BHP DB9, or any later 510BHP spec V12. Conversely there are some early high miler DB9's out there that are fine too.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine making ticking noise.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.