Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Engine making ticking noise.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:23 PM
J doubleU is just really niceJ doubleU is just really niceJ doubleU is just really niceJ doubleU is just really niceJ doubleU is just really nice
Heat is what increases the noise, A/C load? no A/C fan causing lower temp. If you haven't damaged the cylinders or pistons yet, you could renew the connecting rods. lack of piston cooling as stated before (small rod end is going to fail) usually thru the side of the block! Invest in better rods on the rebuild. Or a factory engine reman. If the block is damaged you have no "CORE" which adds $$$$.
K1 Tech 3.0 Ford Duratec V6 Performance Rods H Beam

Old 05-07-2015, 12:33 PM
theegolden1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by J doubleU View Post
Heat is what increases the noise, A/C load? no A/C fan causing lower temp. If you haven't damaged the cylinders or pistons yet, you could renew the connecting rods. lack of piston cooling as stated before (small rod end is going to fail) usually thru the side of the block! Invest in better rods on the rebuild. Or a factory engine reman. If the block is damaged you have no "CORE" which adds $$$$.
K1 Tech 3.0 Ford Duratec V6 Performance Rods H Beam
Small rod end going thru the side of the block???? Has this happened already to an Aston???

Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by theegolden1 View Post
Small rod end going thru the side of the block???? Has this happened already to an Aston???
Oh I bet money that it's happened! Unfortunately, there are a few dumb owners who do stupid things to their cars. I bet there isn't a manufacture yet who hasn't had at least one dumb owner put a rod through the side of the block. Some years ago I was in Vegas with a friend looking at a Gallardo he was interested in. When we arrived at the dealer the owner said the salesman lent the keys to a friend and the car came back with 9 cylinders instead of 10. We looked at the damage and couldn't believe the massive hole in the side of the block. The amazing thing was the car still ran! Just goes to show anything is possible. Unfortunately, I think your car had a pretty hard life! Didn't you buy this car at Thrift Auto?

Old 05-07-2015, 12:45 PM
J doubleU is just really niceJ doubleU is just really niceJ doubleU is just really niceJ doubleU is just really niceJ doubleU is just really nice
It's a engine with a noise that is not normal, as any internal combustion engine when parts fail inside. And dependent on speed and mass.The do EXIT thru the least path of resistance. There is a reason why the aftermarket makes better rods for the "Duratec" 3.0 motors. $100 performance rod is not bad even X12.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by dan87951 View Post
Oh I bet money that it's happened! Unfortunately, there are a few dumb owners who do stupid things to their cars. I bet there isn't a manufacture yet who hasn't had at least one dumb owner put a rod through the side of the block. Some years ago I was in Vegas with a friend looking at a Gallardo he was interested in. When we arrived at the dealer the owner said the salesman lent the keys to a friend and the car came back with 9 cylinders instead of 10. We looked at the damage and couldn't believe the massive hole in the side of the block. The amazing thing was the car still ran! Just goes to show anything is possible. Unfortunately, I think your car had a pretty hard life! Didn't you buy this car at Thrift Auto?
So you're pretty much saying that the other cases of this happening to these Astons can be chocked up to some type of owner abuse? Hard to believe as some have stated that "newer" Astons don't have this problem at all.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:48 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by theegolden1 View Post
So you're pretty much saying that the other cases of this happening to these Astons can be chocked up to some type of owner abuse? Hard to believe as some have stated that "newer" Astons don't have this problem at all.
I noticed you didn't answer my question about if you bought the car at Thrift Auto? Does that mean you did?

Yes, there are a few cases like yours but your acting like all DB9's will eventually be affected. I have several friends who also own a 05 and 06 DB9 that have had no issues what so ever with their cars outside regular maintenance. Did we just get lucky? Doubt it! One of my friends who daily drives his 05' DB9 will be pushing close to 80k miles this coming June. What makes his car any different than yours when it was new? What about the 100k mile DB9 that was on eBay not to long ago? Did he get lucky as well? I know it sucks to be the unlucky one with a bad DB9 engine but spreading propaganda that all DB9's will suffer the same fate is just not accurate.

Unless you bought your car brand new there is no absolute way of knowing if your car was treated right. However, you can take proper precautions to limit your risk in getting a bad car -- service records, reputation of dealer/owner, condition, PPI, etc. When I was searching for a DB9 3 years ago several Aston mechanics told me to make sure these cars never run low on oil and to always change the oil at the recommended interval. I have always lived by these recommendations and the car has treated me very well.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:36 PM
I noticed you didn't answer my question about if you bought the car at Thrift Auto? Does that mean you did?

Yes, there are a few cases like yours but your acting like all DB9's will eventually be affected. I have several friends who also own a 05 and 06 DB9 that have had no issues what so ever with their cars outside regular maintenance. Did we just get lucky? Doubt it! One of my friends who daily drives his 05' DB9 will be pushing close to 80k miles this coming June. What makes his car any different than yours when it was new? What about the 100k mile DB9 that was on eBay not to long ago? Did he get lucky as well? I know it sucks to be the unlucky one with a bad DB9 engine but spreading propaganda that all DB9's will suffer the same fate is just not accurate.

Unless you bought your car brand new there is no absolute way of knowing if your car was treated right. However, you can take proper precautions to limit your risk in getting a bad car -- service records, reputation of dealer/owner, condition, PPI, etc. When I was searching for a DB9 3 years ago several Aston mechanics told me to make sure these cars never run low on oil and to always change the oil at the recommended interval. I have always lived by these recommendations and the car has treated me very well.
Sorry if my tone came off defensive. I was just making an observation that only these "older" DB9's have been reported with this issue, but none of the "newer" DB9's. It just seems like, however remote these cases have been, the early ones were infected. Also, no I didn't get it from Thrifty Auto. I'm not sure if I could ever buy ANY car from a company named that (not knocking anybody that does).

At the end of the day, I'm just trying to find some type of resolution for this.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:02 PM
The reason I asked about Thrift Auto was because they are known for selling beat up cars.

As some other posters have pointed out the only resolution is going to require a full tear down of the engine to see what's going on in there. I know you keep bumping this thread to the top hoping for a simple solution but you're being overly optimistic. Good luck with your car and I hope you get it fixed right!

Dan

Old 05-07-2015, 05:24 PM
The reason I asked about Thrift Auto was because they are known for selling beat up cars.

As some other posters have pointed out the only resolution is going to require a full tear down of the engine to see what's going on in there. I know you keep bumping this thread to the top hoping for a simple solution but you're being overly optimistic. Good luck with your car and I hope you get it fixed right!

Dan
Actually I'm not bumping this thread on purpose. Merely giving updates or replying to others. At this point, I'm in agreement with you as far as the ultimate resolution. And thanks for the well wishes.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:07 PM
MaverickV12 is on a distinguished road
Hello my colonial friends,

I'm in England and I have a DB9, mine had the, "tick", I tried everything, pretty much the entire thread on this subject is me and what I did, Including Bamford Roses, "denial", bit, that is true as well.

After living with the tick for about 12/18 months or so, I am an expert on the V12 tick.

Why do certain people get it an others don't? Variable reason I guess, but a biggie for mine was, overheating. Don't all rush to your typewriters to tell me your dial is fine, mine was too. My radiator was blocked up, so instead of a nice cooling radiator, I had a nice warm blanket. Engine got hotter and hotter and every single thing that Bamford Rose said.... happened. I even have photos of the problem.

I was experiencing oil pull, oval cyds, ticking. Everything.

Eventually the only way to overcome the problem was to have the engine stripped down and renew all the bearings, rings etc etc etc etc ..... wicked engine now.

If you look at the small end bearing, the old 450bhp engines are just a ring. In the new replacement Bearings, there is a grove in them. This stops oil starvation to the small end bearings. I have a photo of this as well.

My eyes are tired and i'm off to Noddy Land, but please re-read what Bamford Rose has said, everything he said is spot on..... including the denial bit :-(

Clear out your radiators, or replace them, in England they are about 350.00, I replaced mine (I have photos of that to) I also changed my Thermostat with a Vanquish (new shape) one that opens at 10C lower than the standard DB9.

My tick is gone and the engine runs as sweet as a nut. I will forever be careful to ensure that the engine runs as cool as can be. .... please PM me with any questions.

You will need to PM me as I only just joined this forum and I won't be able to check it regularly.

PS, I used to use a forum in England, but the sarcasm was so bad I came off it.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:23 PM
MaverickV12 is on a distinguished road
Listened to your video and mine was exactly the same ..... I have videos too of that sound .....

The small end bearing on the left is an old one and the new type on the right, you can see the grove for the oil cut into it .....

Old 11-01-2015, 04:19 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Nice to hear from you again Maverick -- it's been a long time. I think you'll find a warmer reception here than you received on PH

Glad to know you got your car running again, though I shudder to think what you've spent to do it.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:32 AM
telum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MaverickV12 View Post

I'm in England and I have a DB9, mine had the, "tick", I tried everything, pretty much the entire thread on this subject is me and what I did, Including Bamford Roses, "denial", bit, that is true as well.

After living with the tick for about 12/18 months or so, I am an expert on the V12 tick.

Why do certain people get it an others don't? Variable reason I guess, but a biggie for mine was, overheating. Don't all rush to your typewriters to tell me your dial is fine, mine was too. My radiator was blocked up, so instead of a nice cooling radiator, I had a nice warm blanket. Engine got hotter and hotter and every single thing that Bamford Rose said.... happened. I even have photos of the problem.

Eventually the only way to overcome the problem was to have the engine stripped down and renew all the bearings, rings etc etc etc etc ..... wicked engine now.

If you look at the small end bearing, the old 450bhp engines are just a ring. In the new replacement Bearings, there is a grove in them. This stops oil starvation to the small end bearings. I have a photo of this as well.

My eyes are tired and i'm off to Noddy Land, but please re-read what Bamford Rose has said, everything he said is spot on..... including the denial bit :-(

Clear out your radiators, or replace them, in England they are about 350.00, I replaced mine (I have photos of that to) I also changed my Thermostat with a Vanquish (new shape) one that opens at 10C lower than the standard DB9.

My tick is gone and the engine runs as sweet as a nut. I will forever be careful to ensure that the engine runs as cool as can be. .... please PM me with any questions.

You will need to PM me as I only just joined this forum and I won't be able to check it regularly.

Welcome to the forum! Definitely appreciate the input, and look forward to seeing you on here!

The condition of the 4.3L in my V8V is always a lingering concern in the back of my head. Not that I don't take care of it, but I do drive it really hard. Seems like a tear-down and rebuild can solve a lot of potentials on the V8 as well as the V12.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by MaverickV12 View Post

Welcome the the forums and thank you very much for chiming in on my post. I will be PM'ing you soon.........

Old 11-02-2015, 01:08 PM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
Golden1, I am curious as to who you have brought the DB9 to in the Sacramento area. Walnut Creek just opened a new dealership but there are a few independents around (Stewarts, possibly Salerno's).

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine making ticking noise.

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.