Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Engine making ticking noise.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Ray F is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a late DB7VV that also did this; never did get to the bottom of it, but I did get to silence it. I modified the water valve so it was permanently open and also altered the temp points at which the fans came on - bottom line was: keep the engine cool.

I've heard that as well as the DB7 V12, the issue afflicts the DB9 V12s that were made pre-Cologne manufacture (I've also personally heard it on a couple of early Vanquish's). As I understand it, you can tell if it's a Cologne engine if the number starts with a 1; Cosworth engines start with a 0. I would be interested to know if those on here who have the tick noise have an engine number beginning with 0 or 1?

Old 03-26-2019, 09:30 PM
V12Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dan87951 View Post
What about the 100k mile DB9 that was on eBay not to long ago? Did he get lucky as well? I know it sucks to be the unlucky one with a bad DB9 engine but spreading propaganda that all DB9's will suffer the same fate is just not accurate.
From all this reading, it sounds like it has nothing to do with luck. Its simply a factor of time.

If what is being said about the small end rod bearings of early cars wearing out due to inadequate oiling due to a "design flaw" of the shells and/or hot spots in certain areas of the engine is true, then this will happen to everyone who drives the car hard. Cruising on a highway and racking up the miles will simply result in the car having higher mileage before the symptoms begin to show.

I see this as analogous to clutch life for example. You drive in stop-n-go traffic, you'll get less miles out of it compared to someone who is mostly driving on the highway.

All one can do is just avoid the pre 2008 cars altogether or do a PPI and hope your driving style and weather gives you enough engine life for your ownership.

Just my $0.02.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:19 PM
ryanr317 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Ray F View Post
I had a late DB7VV that also did this; never did get to the bottom of it, but I did get to silence it. I modified the water valve so it was permanently open and also altered the temp points at which the fans came on - bottom line was: keep the engine cool.

I've heard that as well as the DB7 V12, the issue afflicts the DB9 V12s that were made pre-Cologne manufacture (I've also personally heard it on a couple of early Vanquish's). As I understand it, you can tell if it's a Cologne engine if the number starts with a 1; Cosworth engines start with a 0. I would be interested to know if those on here who have the tick noise have an engine number beginning with 0 or 1?
How were you able to alter the temperature at which the fans come on?

Old 05-02-2019, 04:19 PM
Ray F is an unknown quantity at this point
Changed the fan settings so that the one that normally comes on first, at about 90deg, came on with ignition and the other (high speed) fan came on at 90 instead of the higher temp. This second one also comes on when the AC compressor is running. I didn't do the work, just got a local car electrical expert to do the work.