Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Second run of Catch Cans, with improvements!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:16 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Second run of Catch Cans, with improvements!

***Currently taking payments! Post in the thread or PM me if you want one and I'll send you payment info!***

I'm still getting requests for my oil catch can kit that I put together last year. I might have one left, which someone has already expressed interest in. Otherwise, I'm all out!

Since people are still interested, I'm looking at setting up another batch of kits. If this goes through, it will include everything needed for installation, including the can. The main difference is the new kit will feature a custom catch can. The original kit used NPT-to-barb fittings to connect the hoses to the catch can. The new kit will use a catch can custom made for our needs. Rather than fittings, it will have integrated hose nipples, and the top nipple will be angled to give a much more direct route for that hose (this is the same effect as switching to the 45-degree Earl's fitting I had recommended as an upgrade for the original kit). The can itself is the same as I used for the original kit. The only difference is the change from fittings to nipples.

AVAILABILITY
SOLD OUT!!

INSTALLATION

Like last time, this kit will be 100% reversible. It will mount to existing bolt holes. No hoses will be cut. One hose is removed and can be bagged and tagged for reuse when returning to stock. The connectors I use are OEM connectors from Aston Martin. Having gone through the process several times for testing/fitting components, installation takes me maybe 10 minutes and return to stock takes the same amount of time.

PLEASE POST OR PM IF INTERESTED!

Last edited by telum01; 08-21-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:21 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
FAQs!

How do I install it?
Go to this link for installation instructions:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tallation.html

How well does the catch can handle engine movement?
I have had no issues at all. On one side, there are rubber isolators between the mounting bracket and the chassis where it bolts on. On the other side, there are rubber hoses. So there is rubber on either end of the kit that keeps the kit well sorted.

How reliable is the kit?
I haven't had any issues with it. So far I've driven a few thousand miles and I've had track days at NCCAR and Summit Point. The new kit will replace the fittings with integrated hose nipples, which will simplify (and improve) the kit to further reduce any potential for problems.

Does the kit actually work? How do you know?
Yes, it works. I know this because I empty it every so often and oil comes out of it. The catch can is installed where a hose goes directly into the intake manifold. So, if the catch can wasn't in place, that oil would have gone into the intake manifold.

Why should I get one?
Oil can get into your intake manifold via the PCV. This oil then contaminates your air-fuel mixture. Removing this oil from that recirculated air should give you a better, cleaner combustion. A quick way to see the oil for yourself is to disconnect the hose going from the PCV to the intake manifold. It's the one with the quick-release connectors that goes into the intake manifold right behind the throttle body.

Can you ship outside of the US?
Yes. The US price includes Stateside shipping, so the amount added to that will be the difference between Stateside shipping and shipping to you overseas. Delivery time varies based on where you are. It might take 3 days, it might take 3 weeks.

What finishes are available for the catch can?
There are two available finishes: wrinkle black and brushed aluminum. The wrinkle black matches the black intake manifold found on the V8VS, V8VGT, N400, and V8 Vantages with the Aston Martin Power Pack. The brushed aluminum is a good match for the oil sump reservoir found in all V8 Vantages. In my opinion, it doesn't match it perfectly but it does blend in very well. If you aren't sure which way to go, the black one has a subtle, stealth look while the brushed one has a clean, bright look. Both look great in the engine bay.

Is there anything wrong with the old kit?
No, there's nothing wrong with them. The new kit just has a couple simple refinements based on lessons learned over the last several months using the kit on my own car. I'll be ordering one of the new kits as well, and using my old/original kit on my other vehicle.

Will this kit fit on a car with a V12 engine?
No, it will not fit on a V12 Vantage, DB9, DBS, or Vanquish. The left-hand air intake duct takes up the area where the catch can is positioned, so the catch can will not fit. This might also be the case for V8 Vantages with a dual-inlet intake manifold (I'm waiting to see how those intakes are routed).

Feel free to post any other questions you have!

Last edited by telum01; 08-25-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:18 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
could be up for one of these, can you PM me a shipped cost to UK please

Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Will do!

Old 07-14-2014, 01:24 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I think I might want one of the newer ones for my GT.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by mikey k
could be up for one of these, can you PM me a shipped cost to UK please
Sent!

Originally Posted by karlfranz
I think I might want one of the newer ones for my GT.
Awesome! They offer two finishes (brushed aluminum and wrinkle black). I have the black on mine and it matches the intake manifold just about perfectly. You'll have the same manifold on your GT, so I'm recommending the black for your catch can. The aluminum is a very good match for the oil sump reservoir on the opposite side of the engine bay but I'm happy I went with black to match my manifold.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:02 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Pardon the layman in me... What exactly is the purpose of this and is it absolutely necessary or more just for performance?

Also, do you refill the oil from the catch can back into the oil reservoir ever thousand miles or so? If you discard the oil instead of replenishing won't the oil level actually get too low?

Sorry for the noob questions, just trying to understand more.

Thanks,

Old 07-14-2014, 11:51 PM
The purpose of an oil catch can is to prevent oil vapor from contaminating the air/fuel mixture that goes into your engine. The catch can I'm using is internally baffled, which helps force the oil from the vapor to collect in the can rather than continuing through to the engine. The vast majority of the catch cans you'll see for sale are not internally baffled, which is why they cost half as much as the one I'm using.

Oil vapor is one of the ways a car "consumes" or "eats" oil. (The other primary way is oil blow-by getting past piston rings and directly into the combustion chamber.) You can easily insert a recirculation line to reintroduce the collected oil to the oil sump. However, this oil can contain contaminants. It's worthwhile to inspect the oil when you empty the catch can to see if there's anything mixed into it (coolant in particular). As with any vehicle, checking oil levels regularly and topping off when needed is recommended. Most people know that some cars "eat" oil, but they don't know why. The catch can collects oil so you can actually see the oil that would be consumed. I keep extra oil on hand and top off with fresh oil, discarding what I drain from the catch can.

Oil consumption is fairly common with just about every car. Some do it more than others. Before getting started on my original kit, I rigged up a makeshift one from Home Depot supplies on my 4Runner. It quickly started collecting oil and showing its value.

From what I've seen on our cars, there are vent lines running from each side of the engine to maintain proper pressure in the cylinder heads. Excess pressure is released into the intake manifold (due to its nature, it has to be a fully-enclosed system, so it isn't vented into the atmosphere). The left-hand bank passes through the air-oil separator, then into the PCV (pressure control valve, if I remember correctly). The right-hand side, however, goes directly into the PCV. The PCV then vents directly into the engine. An air-oil separator (AOS) does the same thing as an oil catch can, but in a different way. It also recirculates the oil back into the system. But for whatever reason, we only have one cylinder bank passing through the AOS.

As for whether or not you need one... no, you don't need one. Your car will run without it, just as it has always run. However, the catch can does help. Removing the oil from your air/fuel mixture will give you a cleaner burn, improving your engine efficiency, emissions, and so on. Long-term, the cleaner burn will help prolong the life of your catalytic converters and O2 sensors.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, as those effects may not even be noticeable to you. The way I look at it, this is a fully-reversible kit and it does in fact prevent oil from getting into your intake manifold.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by telum01; 08-21-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 AM
I hope all that made sense. It's 2am here and I should have been asleep hours ago...

Old 07-15-2014, 06:13 AM
ComoLakeItaly is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I just registered myself

very interested, can I order one in aluminium color? I live in Italy

thanks

Old 07-15-2014, 07:57 AM
It looks like the online shipping calculator for USPS is coming up with ~60 USD for shipping to Europe. I plugged in a few countries and it's all pretty similar.

That is liable to change once I verify actual shipping but it should provide a good estimate.

Originally Posted by ComoLakeItaly
Hi,

I just registered myself

very interested, can I order one in aluminium color? I live in Italy

thanks
Sure thing and welcome to the forum! I was in Como a couple years ago and LOVED it! Only got to spend a day there, but it was absolutely beautiful.

Last edited by telum01; 08-21-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:00 AM
Pricing updated in original post (added pricing for Europe).

Also added:
I have six people, myself included, expressing interest. I'll be ordering a batch of TEN. If I get payment from 5 people I'll get the ball rolling with customization of the catch can and getting the new mounting bracket prototyped and test fitted. Once ready, it will take a week to get the finished catch cans and mounting brackets.

Last edited by telum01; 07-15-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:06 AM
thanks! let me know how to do with the payment (Paypal, Visa..etc etc)

I live near Como's Lake, here there are really many fantastic roads with incredible panorama

the best roads close to Como are in Switzerland:

Furkapass, Oberalpass, Nufenpass and Grimselpass

the best road that I know is the Ofenpass near Stelvio pass and St Moritz

another fantastic place where to drive is the Dolomiti area with Gardena pass, Pordoi pass and Sella pass

if you drive one time there than you will never want to go anywhere else

sorry for my english

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pordoi1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	396548   Click image for larger version

Name:	pordoi2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	396549  

Last edited by ComoLakeItaly; 07-15-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:28 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Como... I hate you so much

You live in the most beautiful place on earth! Enjoy those roads well!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Como... I hate you so much

You live in the most beautiful place on earth! Enjoy those roads well!
I agree with you I visited almost all world for business and the roads that we have here are simply great! Panorama, good food and no speed limits (no police checking on the mountain passes) do the rest

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Second run of Catch Cans, with improvements!