Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Having a stalling problem with your V8V?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Just my own thought, but this is not something that should have a work around fix to a separate catch can.

When the rubber hoses in the tank fail, the fuel gets sucked into the vapor canister, the the vapor management valve vents these fumes to the intake, obviously when the hose fails raw fuel is sent to the intake. When the canister gets to full, the raw fuel starts to travel right back to the DMTL pump and leak out the filter on the DMTL.

If you fit a catch can to collect raw fuel, and this raw fuel is dumped to a metal can that's not vented correctly..you just might create a pipe bomb..becareful on design

Yes when the hose goes bad in the tank and sucks in fuel, this will cause a stall while turning with tank mid to full, and driving straight with tank full..

If this is NOT happening to you and you own a pre2009 V8V, it's possible just your misfire factors are not stored due at one point in time the battery going flat or below 10v..which would clear the misfire factors and cause random stalls on deceleration

I'm not against the idea of modifying to make better, but I am concerned about ppl using this as a FIX to not repair the actual failed hoses in the fuel tank..

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 09-06-2014, 02:00 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
It's about 4am and it's been a long night, so I hope I'm not completely messing this up:

My idea was to insert a collection system, similar to a catch can, that would determine whether or not fuel is being sucked up by the hose.

If so: the fuel would be dumped into the catch can. Fuel vapor would continue into the intake manifold as designed. Yes, raw fuel would be collected in the catch can. However - it's better than the fuel being dumped into the intake manifold and stalling the engine, especially at a very unfortunate time - which has happened to me and put me into oncoming traffic (long time ago).

Fuel vapor would continue to be vented into the intake manifold, so there wouldn't be a pressurized pipe bomb-like scenario. Liquid fuel would be captured to prevent stalling, fuel vapor would be burned as originally intended.

If there's so much fuel being sucked up that it causes a severe incident of captured fuel - it's an obvious sign that the original fuel system is in need of repair, at which point this solution is acting as a warning system that shows the severity of the situation as well as prevents it from immediately causing damage vis-a-vis stalling the engine.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:02 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I hope that made sense... I'm so tired lol

Old 09-02-2015, 07:23 AM
mrgylex is on a distinguished road
I just don't understand how this hasn't become a recall item or a service bulletin. I continue to hear about these stall issues from many, and I mean almost all, AM vantage owners I have met.

I have a 2012 V8 Vantage--the fuel tank has been redesigned with new hoses and fittings so nothing I can do from the inside. I haven't had a stall occurrence in weeks but nowadays I just expect it to happen arbitrarily on some random day...the looming stall :-(

@Telum--do you continue to experience stalls even after the catch-can mod? I was postulating that my car could be stalling due to recirculation of large amounts of oil at a certain moment in time.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by mrgylex
@Telum--do you continue to experience stalls even after the catch-can mod? I was postulating that my car could be stalling due to recirculation of large amounts of oil at a certain moment in time.
I ended up finding the broken fuel vapor recirc line before getting to rigging up a fuel capture kit.

From my experience, the AOS helps prevent oil from getting into the engine but isn't necessarily related to the stalling issue. (Full disclosure, I designed the VelocityAP kit and am still involved with it.)