Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Some random questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:19 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Some random questions

Just thinking aloud after nearly a month of ownership...

1. Why doesn't everyone list their current/past AMs in their signature? I find it a really useful reference that tells me about the owner and where they're coming from.

2. Why are there so few roadsters here compared to coupes? It can't be the small extra cost of the roadster because we're all stinkin rich anyway So why do only a small proportion of owners prefer soft tops?

3. Why can't I find much reference to the perfection of the stainless oil filler cap and dipstick on the V8V? This has to be the most beautifully engineered piece of machinery I've seen anywhere. It deserves its own forum.

Just curious.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:29 PM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by kensilver
3. Why can't I find much reference to the perfection of the stainless oil filler cap and dipstick on the V8V? This has to be the most beautifully engineered piece of machinery I've seen anywhere. It deserves its own forum.

Just curious.
Outstanding.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
1. Strictly my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt and don't let anyone else get offended, but I always found that listing all the cars in your portfolio, especially cars you don't even own anymore, to come off as bragging. It's just not my style, so I choose not to do it.

2. Many of us simply prefer the shape of the coupe better. I also feel a bit self-conscious when stopped at a light in an exotic car with the top down. Part of being an introvert, I suppose

3. Sounds like you found your next website or tumblr project.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:23 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by karlfranz
...2. Many of us simply prefer the shape of the coupe better. I also feel a bit self-conscious when stopped at a light in an exotic car with the top down. Part of being an introvert, I suppose...
I prefer the coupe too, but the V8V has the most perfectly balanced design on all angles for a roadster, especially with the top down. The DB9/Vanquish Volante is a little too long, I think.

Friend of mine said how he wouldn't have the nerve to 'show off' in a convertible, so maybe a lot of people share your view. I don't mind - I get a lot of enjoyment out of open air motoring. It more than offsets my natural inclination to stay anonymous in my mobile cocoon.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with Karl's #1 and #2.

Additionally, when I had my DB9 Volante (Ooops, there goes #1), I found that the top looked pretty wrinkled on the C-pillars as compared with other convertibles I've had at the same mileage, and made the car look old before its time. I couldn't stand looking at it, so off it went. And they are all like that...C-pillar wrinkles.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
I like the lines of the coupe better (though the roadster is beautiful too!). Personally I am more of a "driver" and like to push the car. Plus, driving in the sun tire me out, last time I drove the lotus with top off I felt like I spent the whole day at the beach lol.

From what I've seen, a lot of the roadster owners on the roads are the more "casual" aston owners. So whereas the real life distribution of roadster vs. coupe might be more even, it is not represented here on the forums

Old 10-29-2014, 07:50 AM
blue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really niceblue_skies is just really nice
1. Different strokes for different folks

...actually, wait a minute, that applies to all 3 of these

2. I traded in my Vantage S coupe for a DB9 Volante and had no regrets. I did it solely for taking coastal drives and as a perfect-weather-weekend-driver. Although, this is probably the last rag top I'll get. I have ears like a hawk and even the most minor squeaks and rattles drive me up a wall.

3. No idea

Old 10-29-2014, 08:38 AM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blue_skies
2. I traded in my Vantage S coupe for a DB9 Volante and had no regrets. I did it solely for taking coastal drives and as a perfect-weather-weekend-driver. Although, this is probably the last rag top I'll get. I have ears like a hawk and even the most minor squeaks and rattles drive me up a wall.
Do you find the DB9 to be much less sporty or no difference for spirited street driving? I periodically think about switching to a DB9 so that I can take more of the family along for the ride, just worried it might be too gentlemanly.

Current: 2009 Vantage Roadster, Toyota Highlander
Past: None

Old 10-29-2014, 08:42 AM
rbobby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Agree with Karl's #1 and #2.
Additionally, when I had my DB9 Volante (Ooops, there goes #1), I found that the top looked pretty wrinkled on the C-pillars as compared with other convertibles I've had at the same mileage, and made the car look old before its time. I couldn't stand looking at it, so off it went. And they are all like that...C-pillar wrinkles.
I guess it depends on how you use your car. My convertible top still looks really nice, but I only have the top up when the car is in the garage or when I wash it.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:48 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
1) This is pretty consistent across forums - some people do it, some don't. Some even list all the mods on their cars. I think part of it is privacy (similar to listing your location or not), part of it is not wanting attention, part of it is that people just don't think to do it. Just comes down to personal preference. I like it because it helps provide some context to a conversation - gives you some background insight into a person's experience.

2) I'm not a big fan of convertibles, and there are plenty of other people that feel the same. I think the ratio of convertibles to coupes is pretty standard here compared to any other car.

3) I agree - my jaw dropped the first time I pulled the cap off. It's just an oil cap, I wasn't expecting to be so impressed by such a seemingly unimportant thing (aesthetically unimportant in any other car, that is).

Old 10-29-2014, 10:05 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
woulda been nice if they could've made it a teeny tiny bit lighter, that whole oil tank assembly could work well as a boat anchor! Ditto the gas cap!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:49 AM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
2. Why are there so few roadsters here compared to coupes? It can't be the small extra cost of the roadster because we're all stinkin rich anyway So why do only a small proportion of owners prefer soft tops?
The lines of the coupe are unbeatable. I'm a convertible guy but I couldn't resist the coupe's lines. Plus I won't buy a soft top convertible due to many issues with durability of the soft top, bad rear 3/4 view, and lastly I don't think it looks good (unless it's down). Some days I wish I had, though.

My last 2 cars have been hardtop convertibles (SLK, E93 M3), and so will my next one. I miss it too much.

3. Why can't I find much reference to the perfection of the stainless oil filler cap and dipstick on the V8V? This has to be the most beautifully engineered piece of machinery I've seen anywhere. It deserves its own forum.[/QUOTE]

It is pretty darn awesome, best dipstick I have laid my hands on.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 AM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light

1. Why doesn't everyone list their current/past AMs in their signature? I find it a really useful reference that tells me about the owner and where they're coming from.

Just curious.
As others have said, I think No 1 is just personal preference. I, as well as many, have a pic so that others know what Model I have. Also we have a "what's in you're garage" thread, so listing all those cars in a sig seems unnecessary.

No 2 tends to be personal preference. I already have a couple race cars. So when looking for a fun weekend car, I'm not necessarily looking for the last absolute level of handling, or the better platform for tracking. I was more looking for a great GT type car. I agree that top(s) up, the coupe looks better. However, the vert with the top down, looks better than a coupe (to me). Most all my Aston driving is with the top down, so for me, the Vert decision was easy

Different people have different missions for the cars. Perhaps I'm a little more performance/race/modification interested, so I might hang out here more than a typical vert/GT driver

Old 10-29-2014, 11:13 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Also, many of us driving enthusiasts here seem to prefer a manual gearbox and that is hard to find in a Vantage roadster. I like the lines of the convertible with the top down, but not as much with the top up. I'm sure the sound is even better with the top down than on the coupe, though.

I wish that Aston had offered a glass moonroof option like the F-type coupe has. I would have ordered that option if it existed.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:12 PM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Also, many of us driving enthusiasts here seem to prefer a manual gearbox and that is hard to find in a Vantage roadster. I like the lines of the convertible with the top down, but not as much with the top up. I'm sure the sound is even better with the top down than on the coupe, though.
Agree 100% with all this. Took me a very long time to find a white, manual, Vert, with premium sound, nav and low miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some random questions