Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

*Serious* problems in the rain...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:08 AM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
*Serious* problems in the rain...

Need some advice/opinions.

I have *serious* issues with my rear tires/rear traction in medium (or above) rain. I live in Atlanta and part of the problem is the "beltway" around Atl is partially cement - and it's like riding on smooth plastic. I have NO TRACTION and my rear end goes sideways when I hit enough standing water. I have reduced my speed, and at one point (this morning) was only doing 35MPH, but usually between 40 and 50 MPH until I hit asphalt and then the difference is better, but I still have to watch for standing water.

I thought my traction control wasn't working, so I turned off just to see what would happen. No appreciable difference but I was just not traveling that fast so I don't know if that means anything.

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around - they are about 6 months old and are probably half gone on the rear. Front still looks new.

Wow - I just can't believe the difference between this DBS and my 2010 XKR. I could drive the XKR at 90 in this wet an it was ROCK SOLID! On the same brand tires...I think the rear on the XKR wa 285/35 20's...the DBS is 295/30? 20's...I believe that's correct.

Feedback is very welcome, and I will ask what the best performance/wet tire is? I love the PSS tires, but if there are better performance/wet tires I'd prefer to have that.

Or is there possibly a problem with my traction control system? Tires just too darn wide?

TIA

Old 11-17-2014, 07:42 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
I'm sure you checked your tire pressures?

Originally Posted by rscultho
Need some advice/opinions.

I have *serious* issues with my rear tires/rear traction in medium (or above) rain. I live in Atlanta and part of the problem is the "beltway" around Atl is partially cement - and it's like riding on smooth plastic. I have NO TRACTION and my rear end goes sideways when I hit enough standing water. I have reduced my speed, and at one point (this morning) was only doing 35MPH, but usually between 40 and 50 MPH until I hit asphalt and then the difference is better, but I still have to watch for standing water.

I thought my traction control wasn't working, so I turned off just to see what would happen. No appreciable difference but I was just not traveling that fast so I don't know if that means anything.

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports all around - they are about 6 months old and are probably half gone on the rear. Front still looks new.

Wow - I just can't believe the difference between this DBS and my 2010 XKR. I could drive the XKR at 90 in this wet an it was ROCK SOLID! On the same brand tires...I think the rear on the XKR wa 285/35 20's...the DBS is 295/30? 20's...I believe that's correct.

Feedback is very welcome, and I will ask what the best performance/wet tire is? I love the PSS tires, but if there are better performance/wet tires I'd prefer to have that.

Or is there possibly a problem with my traction control system? Tires just too darn wide?

TIA

Old 11-17-2014, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by zvez
I'm sure you checked your tire pressures?
Yea, they are at spec

Old 11-17-2014, 07:50 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
other thing, perhaps your suspension isn't set up to spec? I don't recall anyone mentioning the DBS as being especially difficult in the rain.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:35 AM
midwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud of
How long has it been since you've checked your alignment?

Old 11-17-2014, 10:20 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Alignment will have a big effect on how it handles in the rain. The tires should be fine, I'm running them and have done a good bit of driving in the rain lately. Turning the traction control off in heavy rain/standing water will give you a noticeably looser back end - it's very easy to induce some violent oversteer.

If you haven't gotten your alignment checked in the last year, it'd be a good idea. I get mine done every year as part of my annual maintenance. Things get knocked out of place over time, especially in areas with crappy roads like Atlanta.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:14 AM
jroback is on a distinguished road
Although I have a V8V, not a DBS, I also use PSS and haven't had any problems driving in rain in ATL. So maybe it is alignment related?

Old 11-17-2014, 12:00 PM
ohTHATeric is on a distinguished road
One other consideration . . . I have PSS on my V12V. No grip problems in rain (granted, I'm not driving crazy in those conditions) but those tires are very sensitive to temperature. I noticed it's pretty chilly in Atlanta today . . . 41 degrees. That temperature plus rain could be a contributing factor.

But I'd also get that alignment checked too!

Old 11-17-2014, 12:28 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ohTHATeric
One other consideration . . . I have PSS on my V12V. No grip problems in rain (granted, I'm not driving crazy in those conditions) but those tires are very sensitive to temperature. I noticed it's pretty chilly in Atlanta today . . . 41 degrees. That temperature plus rain could be a contributing factor.

But I'd also get that alignment checked too!
Not temperature/wet
I've done a tour round the Alps in torrential rain with temps as low as 2oC with no issue on the PSS's
I'd also back the geo comments
Mine is done every time I change the fronts

Old 11-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Thanks very much for the replies...

I have not had my alignment checked this year - will do so. My tires are wearing evenly; no cupping or anything that would indicate any alignment issues, but I will get it checked for sure.

I had the back tires replaced this morning. The tread had worn down more than I had expected - and the tires had only been on the car for 3.5 months (shorter period than I originally remembered).

For you guys that run the PSS's, what kind of tire life are you seeing? I had put 5K miles on the car with the back tires needing to be replaced. I do not smoke the tires or track the car. Just drive it back and forth to work 95% of the time.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Rodney,
What shop do you go to for tires and suspension. I can't see going to the dealer for this stuff and paying the Aston premium.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by zvez
Rodney,
What shop do you go to for tires and suspension. I can't see going to the dealer for this stuff and paying the Aston premium.
I go to Discount Tire in Snelleville, (GA - for the others reference ). Their price for the rears 295/30 20's is $339 installed. Well they don't do alignments...thought they did...If I need actual mechanical suspenion work I would take it to my indi in Tucker - Chris Kuhn (Cadillac - Jaguar of Northlake; that's his shop name). He has worked on Jags and other high end cars for a long time.

Last edited by rscultho; 11-18-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Interesting thread, my only comment is, Why are you driving your car in the rain? Don't you know these cars will melt if they get wet!!
Ron

Old 11-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
Interesting thread, my only comment is, Why are you driving your car in the rain? Don't you know these cars will melt if they get wet!!
Ron
I always get that confused with women...

Old 11-18-2014, 01:18 PM
thanks Rodney!

Originally Posted by rscultho
I go to Discount Tire in Snelleville, (GA - for the others reference ). Their price for the rears 295/30 20's is $339 installed. Well they don't do alignments...thought they did...If I need actual mechanical suspenion work I would take it to my indi in Tucker - Chris Kuhn (Cadillac - Jaguar of Northlake; that's his shop name). He has worked on Jags and other high end cars for a long time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *Serious* problems in the rain...