Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Manual Transmission issues....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 02:42 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Manual Transmission issues....

Seems there's some issue with the Vantage V8 transmissions when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

The road/streets in the North East have finally cleared up to the point where I decided to take a run.

I noticed it before but never said anything, but when shifting from 1st to second when the car is cold I get an awful grinding noise (the type when missing a gear, for example).

Soon after warming up, that shift (i.e., 1st to 2nd) is much better and smoother.

I've poked around and there is discussion about it; seems it not unusual for the Vantage V*. But is this something I should be paying closer attention to, or perhaps bring it up with Aston Martin?

Old 03-16-2015, 02:45 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Have you had the linkage updated? They revised it and you can upgrade to the newer linkage, which helps.

What kind of gear oil are you using and how many miles/years have you had since changing it?

Cold transmissions from the early cars had shifting issues from 1st to 2nd. The new linkage and different gear oil has helped.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:29 PM
midwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud ofmidwestamv8 has much to be proud of
First to second and second to third are both tough in my 07 V8V when the car is cold. I also get a noticeable whine from the rear diff / tranny in first and second when cold (that increases pitch with the RPM).

Anyone else get the whine, too?

Old 03-16-2015, 03:55 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
I get a whine too when cold. I usually just go from 1st to 3rd until I am like 5 miles out from my house

Old 03-16-2015, 05:00 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by telum01
Have you had the linkage updated? They revised it and you can upgrade to the newer linkage, which helps.

What kind of gear oil are you using and how many miles/years have you had since changing it?

Cold transmissions from the early cars had shifting issues from 1st to 2nd. The new linkage and different gear oil has helped.

I'm using the gear oil that the came was delivered with. The car is a 2015 V8S, which was delivered last July. 2015 Model year. It has less than 2500 miles.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:14 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Upgraded to Mobil1 75w-90LS (LS=limited slip). Made huge difference on my v8v, even better than Royal Purple. Mobil1 works exceptionally well at cold temperatures because it's the thinnest of all the 75w-90s. I did a review on it a while back, check out the review for the full impressions.

Try doing the transmission fluid flush with Mobil1 and see if that cures the problem. If not you could have a more serious issue...

Old 03-16-2015, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Upgraded to Mobil1 75w-90LS (LS=limited slip). Made huge difference on my v8v, even better than Royal Purple. Mobil1 works exceptionally well at cold temperatures because it's the thinnest of all the 75w-90s. I did a review on it a while back, check out the review for the full impressions.

Try doing the transmission fluid flush with Mobil1 and see if that cures the problem. If not you could have a more serious issue...

Yea, was just reading your write up now (very nice). Mind you, it's only the "first" shift, which leads me to believe it's merely a cold shift issue.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:30 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
I'm using the gear oil that the came was delivered with. The car is a 2015 V8S, which was delivered last July. 2015 Model year. It has less than 2500 miles.
Then disregard

Old 03-16-2015, 05:32 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Your car is new, so bring it up with the dealership service department as this should be looked at under warranty. 1-2 shift grinding was an issue with earlier 4.3 V8 Vantages up to VIN C04876 and there was a service bulletin (SB0236) with a fix. My old V8 Vantage had this fix done under warranty. Newer cars have the changes already incorporated and so the fix does not apply. If you are having issues, you should get it looked at.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Your car is new, so bring it up with the dealership service department as this should be looked at under warranty. 1-2 shift grinding was an issue with earlier 4.3 V8 Vantages up to VIN C04876 and there was a service bulletin (SB0236) with a fix. My old V8 Vantage had this fix done under warranty. Newer cars have the changes already incorporated and so the fix does not apply. If you are having issues, you should get it looked at.

Well that settles it then. I'll have this looked at when I bring it in for the seat heater recall.

You're always "on-point" Karl.

Cheers!!

Old 03-16-2015, 07:09 PM
kdavos is on a distinguished road
Took delivery of my V8V 9/14
In storage - picking it up from the dealer with in the next 2-3 weeks. I have the same issue you mentioned, and I asked the dealer to look at for me while its in stroage. I will let you know what the issue was I get it back.

Where in the north east are you that you are driving it already?

QUOTE=terminal_ac;4308297]Seems there's some issue with the Vantage V8 transmissions when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

The road/streets in the North East have finally cleared up to the point where I decided to take a run.

I noticed it before but never said anything, but when shifting from 1st to second when the car is cold I get an awful grinding noise (the type when missing a gear, for example).

Soon after warming up, that shift (i.e., 1st to 2nd) is much better and smoother.

I've poked around and there is discussion about it; seems it not unusual for the Vantage V*. But is this something I should be paying closer attention to, or perhaps bring it up with Aston Martin?[/QUOTE]

Old 03-16-2015, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by kdavos
Where in the north east are you that you are driving it already?

Record snowfalls up there in Boston, but I'm down country in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I'd 2nd getting it checked out under warranty. I wouldn't recommend changing the fluid out for any brand of 75W90 if your in a cold climate, it'll make things worse. The original fluid is a 70W from Castrol, this fluid was used to replace the 75W90 fluid back in the 4.3L days to reduce stiff shift feeling in cold.

I can't jump the gun and diagnose this through the Internet, but being so new I'd check out the transaxle fluid level to make sure it's not low from factory, also it's very possible the shifter cables are slightly misaligned..there is a tool to align the shifter handle in the correct position and SOMETIMES the handle is aligned by eye and not with the tool, if this is the case, it's a 30mins fix to align the cables again

If you do goto the dealer, try and book a road test with the tech to help simulate the concern...reason being if it doesn't happen to the tech while he's riding solo, nothing will be attempted as a repair because the fault will be classified as "No fault at present time"

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 03-20-2015, 01:36 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Your car is new, so bring it up with the dealership service department as this should be looked at under warranty.
ABSOLUTELY!
My S did this from new
13 months later the gearbox and a rear wheel bearing were dead