Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Wheel Hub Bearings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
Wheel Hub Bearings

I have a 2012 V8V-S, and noticed a whirling sound that becomes louder with speed. I usually start to hear it around 50-60mph. It seems to get worse with longer drives and turning will adversely affect it. My guess is wheel hub bearings.

I could go into a lot more detail but generally these are cheap and relatively easy to replace. I was just wondering if anyone here has replaced theirs and run into odd problems. Also wondering if anybody has the part # or specs on the bearings for a '12 V8V-S?

Thank you in advance.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:32 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I have one for my '07, not sure if it'll be the same part. Check your CV boots first - I ordered a new wheel bearing assembly for my car (~$380 if I remember correctly). Turned out to be a $65 CV boot. Original boot had torn apart and lost all its grease, was bone dry. New boot and grease, good as new. Spare part still sitting on a shelf in my garage.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:32 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
I had this on my V8VS along with the ASM2 gearbox dying
Wheel bearing "assembly" is £178 each
My advice drop the gearbox oil and check it for swarf at the same time

Old 04-02-2015, 04:00 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
could it not be tyres? some are prone to noise, lift the wheel and rotate by hand also pull it at 12-6 oclock and at 3-9 oclock see if there is any movment or free play..just a thought

Old 04-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
If you take the load off the wheel and turn it by hand you will not hear a bad wheel bearing unless its totally trashed . You need the turning and vehicle loads to hear/feel it .

Old 04-03-2015, 06:20 AM
I'll check the CV joint. It should be easy to visually check. I was hoping I could just replace the bearings in the hub for $20, rather than the whole hub for $300+. I guess I'm just getting cheap in my old age.

I have to ask, what is swarf? It sounds like something you name an ugly kid.

FYI, I found this site with a decent rundown of parts at decent prices. I have not ordered anything so I can't say if their service/shipping is up to snuff. Hope its not against any rule to post this, I have no affiliation... it just seems useful for other members.
http://www.scuderiacarparts.com

Last edited by telum01; 04-03-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:27 AM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Swarf is and English term for metal fragments .

Old 04-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fubar
I have a 2012 V8V-S, and noticed a whirling sound that becomes louder with speed. I usually start to hear it around 50-60mph. It seems to get worse with longer drives and turning will adversely affect it. My guess is wheel hub bearings.

I could go into a lot more detail but generally these are cheap and relatively easy to replace. I was just wondering if anyone here has replaced theirs and run into odd problems. Also wondering if anybody has the part # or specs on the bearings for a '12 V8V-S?

Thank you in advance.
I recently partnered up with LG Motorsports, who are running GT4 Astons in World Challenge this year. They are based out of Dallas:

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/

See if you can make an appointment and stop by the shop, they most likely have some in stock and could check out the noise for you. Call and ask for Anthony, tell him I sent you

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 04-03-2015, 09:05 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I'll check the CV joint. It should be easy to visually check.
Very easy to check

FYI, I found this site with a decent rundown of parts at decent prices. I have not ordered anything so I can't say if their service/shipping is up to snuff. Hope its not against any rule to post this, I have no affiliation... it just seems useful for other members.
Forum rules ask that you don't post active links for non-sponsor vendors, especially since this one is in direct competition with at least one of our active sponsors.

Last edited by telum01; 04-03-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:39 PM
I know a few of the guys at LG. I will give them a call about the task. Have they installed any of your new clutch offerings for the AMT2? Thanks Stuart.

Sorry about the link, thanks for the fix and advice.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I know a few of the guys at LG. I will give them a call about the task. Have they installed any of your new clutch offerings for the AMT2? Thanks Stuart.

Sorry about the link, thanks for the fix and advice.
Lou and his guys have seen a few of our products, and they have had the GT4 (which is fundamentally not that far from a road car) in pieces and back together again a couple of times.

Best clutch option for the Vantage is our Twin Plate Organic Faced clutch, with lightweight flywheel. Very similar to the AMR Racing part, but with a solid flywheel and with an organic faced OEM Clutch. It is basically what should have been in the car to begin with, if cost wasn't an object!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com

Last edited by Stuart@VelocityAP; 04-03-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Are the bearings on the wheel hub servicable? It looks like Aston only sells the hub assembly?

Old 04-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Are the bearings on the wheel hub servicable? It looks like Aston only sells the hub assembly?

Those bearings were supplied by one of the major bearing manufacturers and installed into the hub so they must be able to be removeable . It all depends on how handy you are and what kind of tools you have to hand . If you can get the bearings out go to a good bearing supplier with the old one and get some replacements . dont go cheap on the bearings get the best available .

Old 05-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Lou and his guys have seen a few of our products, and they have had the GT4 (which is fundamentally not that far from a road car) in pieces and back together again a couple of times.

Best clutch option for the Vantage is our Twin Plate Organic Faced clutch, with lightweight flywheel. Very similar to the AMR Racing part, but with a solid flywheel and with an organic faced OEM Clutch. It is basically what should have been in the car to begin with, if cost wasn't an object!

Looks like a great product Stu. Have you guys successfully tested it in a V8-S. I know my clutch is nearing the end of its life. I am concerned about an aftermarket clutch in the AMT2. Some of techs in the back told me about problems with another AMT2 they tried.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
Looks like a great product Stu. Have you guys successfully tested it in a V8-S. I know my clutch is nearing the end of its life. I am concerned about an aftermarket clutch in the AMT2. Some of techs in the back told me about problems with another AMT2 they tried.

Not in a V8-S so far, but I'm confident it will work just fine. There are a few aftermarket options out there but this one is very well integrated. If you fit the full kit with bearing, spacer etc. it will work very nicely on the V8VS. It does so on the V12VS - this is all the same stuff but for the flywheel.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel Hub Bearings