Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Changing exterior door handles....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:25 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Changing exterior door handles....

Ok, I've got the interior stuff off, but I can't remove the housing that holds the exterior handles in order to remove them for exchange.

I can see the three screws that hold the door handle housing but one screw is in a position that requires me to remove the door latch to get access to the screw for removal. What am I missing here?

A little help since I would love to get this done tonight.

Thanks all!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:49 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
P.S. Bought a pair of carbon fiber door handle. Would love to get them installed.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:33 PM
^^No one???

Old 04-24-2015, 02:59 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
Wish I could help. Looking forward to the pictures

Old 04-24-2015, 03:37 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Early Service Manual Information

I was only able to find one reference for removing the external door handle in my early copy of the service manual.
See Step 28 and Figure 10.
There apparently are other items (27 steps?) that need to be removed before access may be available; i.e. door glass, etc.
Not sure which of the three nuts is giving you headaches, as they appear to be accessible in the photograph (but we all know how that goes ).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Vantage Door Handle Removal.pdf (308.3 KB, 111 views)
Old 04-24-2015, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by DonL
I was only able to find one reference for removing the external door handle in my early copy of the service manual.
See Step 28 and Figure 10.
There apparently are other items (27 steps?) that need to be removed before access may be available; i.e. door glass, etc.
Not sure which of the three nuts is giving you headaches, as they appear to be accessible in the photograph (but we all know how that goes ).
Thanks, the internal configuration has changed slightly. One nut is not accessible because it's behind a part that I would have to remove.

It's scheduled for the dealer. I'll let them take out the glass, since that's the only way to get to that bolt. (This presents a sensitive alignment issue. So I'm going to leave it to them).

Old 04-25-2015, 02:13 AM
sanengo is on a distinguished road
Don't you mean $$$$$$$ good luck!

Old 04-26-2015, 11:20 AM
I think I've got this figured out. My thought was that I needed to remove the window, which I don't want to do. Instead, I merely need to remove the lock set, and that should allow me access to the one screw I could not get to.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:25 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
If it turns out you do need to loosen the window, I say leave it and let the dealership handle it. When my 07 V8V had the door locks go wonky (as all the ones built in Spain used to) the dealership replaced the door modules which required loosening the window.

Re-tightening to the correct torque is a very critical adjustment with little margin for error. In my case, the tech accidentally turned it one click too tight and the window exploded into literally thousands of pieces all over the shop floor. Some of them cut him in the face and although they tried their best to clean up all the shards, I kept finding little pieces of glass that were rattling in the door frame for the next 3 years.

I wound up driving a new Jag for the next week while they ordered and installed a replacement window.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
If it turns out you do need to loosen the window, I say leave it and let the dealership handle it. [snip...]
Re-tightening to the correct torque is a very critical adjustment with little margin for error.[snip...]

I agree 100%, which is why I stopped at the point that I did. FWIW, I had the inner door panel off, but it looked like I needed to remove the windows before I could go any further. Well the car is due at the dealer this Friday for the seat heater recall, and I'll have them take care of the door handles at that time.

Cheers!

Last edited by terminal_ac; 05-05-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the advice here. The door handles are in. I also had them pop in the front LED markers while she was in

"Yellow Tail" is looking lovely!! I'll try to get some pictures up by these end of this week.

Cheers!
TAC

Last edited by terminal_ac; 05-05-2015 at 10:30 AM.