Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tire pressure for track days

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 01:25 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Tire pressure for track days

With the annual AMOC Lime Track Day coming up on June 27th I'm curious to know what tire pressure(s) should I be running on my V8 Vantage S. Kindly advise.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AXARUNNER
With the annual AMOC Lime Track Day coming up on June 27th I'm curious to know what tire pressure(s) should I be running on my V8 Vantage S. Kindly advise.

What you really want is to have air and a tire pressure gauge on hand. I would start by dropping the cold pressures by perhaps 4psi. As soon as you come in from a session, check your hot pressures. More than likely you will find they are different for each corner, depending upon the track configuration and which tires are working the hardest.

Then you can fine tune from there. I would check with the specific tire you're running but I'd guess around 32-33psi hot pressure is good. Just remember that you'll need to get some heat into them when you head back out, to get the up to good operating pressure.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 06-11-2015, 02:17 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
One thing I wish I had that the S does - tire pressure readouts!

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Then you can fine tune from there. I would check with the specific tire you're running but I'd guess around 32-33psi hot pressure is good. Just remember that you'll need to get some heat into them when you head back out, to get the up to good operating pressure.
Was going to say the same thing - drop to 28 psi and get some heat into them. Shoot for 32ish once heated up.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:47 PM
4pipes will become famous soon enough4pipes will become famous soon enough
Also, very important...don't forget to air them back up for the drive home. You could be way down in pressure, once you're through driving on track.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:28 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Driving style affects tire pressures also

Don't forget that how "aggressive" you are with your brakes will affect tire pressure as well. A lot of the heat generated in the brakes finds its way to the tire, affecting its pressure-maybe more so than the actual track temperature...just be careful on a cold track with cold tires!
Regardless, enjoy your day at the track!

Old 06-11-2015, 03:56 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
I like my RE-11 hot temp around 40 psi +/- a couple of psi front or rear depending on how the car is handling.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:49 AM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by AXARUNNER
We really need to know what tires your gonna run (brand/model/age/condition) to get you started in the right direction. Sizes are also helpful, but not as important.

Also when you get to the track, you'll need to evaluate tempature to get closer to optimal.

As a guideline, most street tires will want a bit more starting pressure than an R Comp. an in between tire (like nt01) will likely fall in between.

For example, on my race car, with a middling air temp of 75, starting pressures:
Bridgestone Re11= 30.5 psi
NT01=~28.5
BFG R1=~27.5

Different tires will like different "operating" pressures, and this is what you're really trying to achieve

Old 06-12-2015, 08:00 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
Thanks guys... That's good information and contrary to what I did last year. I just wish you could join me.