Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DBS, DB9 or Rapide?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 08:42 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
DBS, DB9 or Rapide?

Gang,

I'm considering selling my awesome 997TT and need to try something new. I've never owned McLaren, Aston, Lambo so was looking primarily at those. But I owned an XKR which is close to Aston but not quite ;-)

Anyhow, I also have an E350 Bluetec for biz duty and Lexus GX460 for wife/fam time. My reasoning is this:

1) Gallardo - I would only want a mint LP560. But its a bit dated and Huracan is here. Just not sure I want to spend $270k when they will drop like always

2) 12C - the 570S is around the corner

3) 2010 DBS - good mix of refinement and snarling aggression. Some laymen will say its too much like my XKR though

4) 2011 or 2012 Rapide - feels like 8 or 9/10's DB9. Better ride and is definitely different enough to not be mistaken for my old Jag. Feels like pinnacle of auto's since it does so much so well. If I got Rapide I would probably sell Bluetec and make Rapide the sedan and then get something like an Alpha 4C. That way I have extreme consumption/isolation etc in Rapide and ultra lightweight sporty mini exotic in 4c. All other choices are sporty enough to keep Bluetec.

5) 13' DB9 - will feel more "toy" like and personal when I take it out. I wonder if it will feel special enough since its like a softer DBS. But it will be newer than DBS

6) Vantage V12 - looks great. Big V12 in small package. My only issue with it is that I don't like spending that much and looking like a $55k car which is what 07 Vantages go for.

So between 3-5 what do you say?

Old 06-28-2015, 10:36 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
DBS too much like XKR? No one thinks that, layman or otherwise. An XKR is a boring blob by comparison.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:03 AM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
All the cars on your list are very diffrient from one another. So it really depends on what you are looking to achieve when adding a new ride to your stable. You get diffrient thrills and usage out of all the cars you mentioned.

As far as the DBS/XKR comment. There's really nothing to compare between the two. I'm surprised you made that reference as it seems like you know a thing or two about cars.

With all of that said. DBS all the way

BTW your Porsche looks bad ***. PM me some details.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Guys, c'mon. We're car guys but we have to be able to think beyond our own awareness ;-)

Do you have any idea how often my beautiful black, lowered XKR or forged wheels was mistaken for an "Aston" which they are thinking DBS or DB9 clearly. Of course I knew when side by side there is ZERO comparison.

But nobody cares as much about details as we do and also nobody EVER sees the side by side. Therefore... in their memory they are both elegant, muscular sports coupes. When I would tell some that Aston's are way prettier they would invariably say NO WAY I love yours LOL.

Btw, this holds true for 911TT stock TT vs CS nobody really knows or cares the difference. Much less a $80k difference. But we think the difference is huge. Btw, same goes for watches. I know all the differences but nobody else cares haha.

But we all digress...

Back on topic...

I lean toward Ultimate Sedan but only with Alpha 4C next to it. If I had to keep the E then I lean toward DBS for sure.

All agree?

Old 06-28-2015, 01:28 PM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
1) Gallardo - I think it's very cool that, like with 911's, you have the choice between RWD and AWD, manual and automatic. I'm willing to wager that manual RWD cars will be most desirable in the future; given the choice, I'd take a Balboni version (if you can find one??)

2) 12C - I like them but they seem too cold and catatonic (not that I've ever driven one to know) and the styling doesn't evoke the same emotion as the Italians.

3) 2010 DBS - One of my favorites; I never cared too much for the aero additions over the standard DB9, though. Manual gearbox is a must.

4) 2011 or 2012 Rapide - This and an Alfa 4C would be fantastic. Are you ready to trade your daily-driveable Porsche for a hardcore weekend car, though? (I ask myself this every time I think of the Alfa)

5) 13' DB9 - This would be my top pick. Newer tech than the DBS and close enough on performance, plus has the newer headlights and doesn't have the grafted-on aero package.

6) Vantage V12 - Awesome car but I can't help thinking "the baby Aston" whenever I see one? I know it would blow the doors off my cars, though!

Last edited by CoreyC2S; 06-28-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:23 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Alfa 4C ???? An ugly little turd of a car.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I'd go for the 2010 DBS..but if I had a choice on year, I would change for a 2012 DBS. The last year of the model and has all the little fixings most owners would or usually ask about adapting to there current year model.

You get the newer navigation to have current updates (unlike the Navteq which newest AM update is 2009 maps), 2012 also has the newer Pektron door and seat models so you don't have to worry about them failing and need to replace in pairs( do a search and you;ll be more informed on this topic). Added bonus with the newer seat modules, gives you the nicer brushed nickel trims, which is real nice.

The audio system also has an option for bluetooth streaming for the later year models of 2012, if I remember 2011 build for 2012 models will not have bluetooth streaming but regardless can be upgraded now to have bluetooth streaming with a kit from Aston Martin providing vehicle is fitted with bluetooth from factory.

1 recommendation I would make though is buying from a dealer and getting the AM extended warranty factored into the deal..

Old 06-28-2015, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Evoking
Guys, c'mon. We're car guys but we have to be able to think beyond our own awareness ;-)

Do you have any idea how often my beautiful black, lowered XKR or forged wheels was mistaken for an "Aston" which they are thinking DBS or DB9 clearly. Of course I knew when side by side there is ZERO comparison.

But nobody cares as much about details as we do and also nobody EVER sees the side by side. Therefore... in their memory they are both elegant, muscular sports coupes. When I would tell some that Aston's are way prettier they would invariably say NO WAY I love yours LOL.

Btw, this holds true for 911TT stock TT vs CS nobody really knows or cares the difference. Much less a $80k difference. But we think the difference is huge. Btw, same goes for watches. I know all the differences but nobody else cares haha.

But we all digress...

Back on topic...

I lean toward Ultimate Sedan but only with Alpha 4C next to it. If I had to keep the E then I lean toward DBS for sure.

All agree?
Agree and I feel you in the watches!

Old 06-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Have you considered a 14 Vanquish? Those can be head in the 180s. I saw a blue one drop down to 177k a few days ago. It's removed from autotrader now so I assume it sold fast at that price.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:12 AM
Good point on the Vanquish. I find the older I get the more I pay attention to TCO of any car I buy. My issue with a 14 Vanquish is that even after falling a ton to get to $180k it STILL has a lot of falling to do. Whereas a DBS at $120k may get to $80k but thats about it. Same with a Rapide.

But if I go too new like a 14 Vanquish it will see the same $70k-80k price point in the future much like the old Vanquish.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:07 PM
Good point on the Vanquish. I find the older I get the more I pay attention to TCO of any car I buy. My issue with a 14 Vanquish is that even after falling a ton to get to $180k it STILL has a lot of falling to do. Whereas a DBS at $120k may get to $80k but thats about it. Same with a Rapide.

But if I go too new like a 14 Vanquish it will see the same $70k-80k price point in the future much like the old Vanquish.
Here is my 2c

The current vanquish depreciation is extreme. The car lost 40% with in one model year. We will not see that type of depreciation moving forward. I bet if you pick one up now for 180k you can drive the car for 18-24 months and sell it for 160k with the higher miles. These cars will never be a better value. One owner cars one year old less then 5k miles.

I think the DBS will hold its value more then you expect. The older Vanquish-S cars have started to creep up in value already.

Comparing to a new Vanquish, there are 16 08-12DBS cars on auto trader vs 76 14/15 Vanquishes, as of about a week ago. Supply and demand will always have an affect on price. This is 5 yeas worth of DBS and only two years worth of Vanquishes. Crazy gap. If this trend continues, the Vanquish will fall down creeping up closer to the DBS price but at the same time the DBS prices will stay relatively the same. Look at whats going on with murcielagos and diablos.

With the new exotic cars becoming more and more expensive, 400k 458s and 550k-700k Avantadors vs 275k 430s and 375k Murcielagos when new, to get in to a exotic car market is becoming more and more difficult. Because of this last generation cars like DBS, 430, LP640 will hold their values much better as they will be perceived as great values compared to their new replacements. Watching the 355s, they have went up in value over the last year. Clean examples are nearing 100-125k vs 75k a 1.5 year ago.

I can go on and on, but in the end the rapid will become worthless, the DBS will stick around 120k for a few years(low mile, one owner examples) before going back up in value and the new vanquish will be trailing right around the DBS if not lower pending how many units ASTON ends up building.

Last edited by anton28; 06-30-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:22 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
My two cents

1) Gallardo - I've driven two of them, one an earlier model with paddles and the other a newer one, twin turbo, with a manual gearbox. While I greatly preferred the manual (the earlier paddle trans was terrible), it still wasn't as much of a driver's car as an Aston, in my opinion. The turbo kit was very well done and very impressive for its drivability, but the pedals (of all things) were awkwardly unintuitive.

2) 12C - I absolutely loved driving the 12C, but it didn't and still doesn't do anything for me visually. I couldn't get one just for the styling. That said, I'm planning to pick up a 570S Spider when the time comes, unless the next-gen Vantage blows me away.

3) 2010 DBS - Tied for my favorite of your list (other is V12V). It's an incredibly beautiful car and has more presence than the V12V, but isn't as batsh!t crazy.

4) 2011 or 2012 Rapide - If you need the extra seats, this would be a good option. But based on your other options, I don't see the point. Also, it's a massively long car.

5) 13' DB9 - This is pretty much a DBS in a Virage body. Yes it's newer than your DBS option, but for me, I'd prefer the styling of the DBS.

6) Vantage V12 - Tied with the DBS in my opinion, it's the same engine and power but in a smaller, lighter car. It's bonkers and you can hoon it like nobody's business. Might be closest in character to your 997TT. I'd love a manual V12V, and they can be made stupid powerful with exhaust and tune. Yes, it looks very similar to a $55k Aston, but very, very, very few people will even know what it is, let alone what engine is it. And those that do know anything about it will know the difference between the V12 and V8 Vantages. So either way, it won't matter.People will be more blown away by the fact that it's an Aston (many will need you to tell them that, too - most people, in fact, in my experience). So the similarity is something of a non-issue.

Basically between the Astons - most people can't tell any of them apart. The DB9 and Vantage look identical to most people. And the only reason anyone ever mistakes a Jag for an Aston is because they can't recognize an Aston, period.

Last edited by telum01; 06-30-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:20 PM
Telum, good post. I agree on most points. Except the Rapide becoming worthless. On the one had I can see that because most folks want a 2 door Aston - and the Bond movies help perpetuate this.

However, the body will be current longer as it will lag next DB platform. Furthermore, because most Astons are 2 seaters a 4 door will forever be unique. Couldn't you imagine in 2025 that a clean Rapid would be more interesting and strike more presence than a DB9?

Could go either way. But the real reason I'm thinking Rapide is that it will allow me to logically compliment it with something crazy like Viper or Alfa (both new). Whereas if I do DBS I wouldn't also have a 2nd sports car. So with Rapide I get 9/10 of the full Aston driving experience, plus a toy, plus others get to share in the Aston experience with me to boot!

If I do get it, I sure hope everybody else sees it like me and helps values LOL

Old 06-30-2015, 07:58 PM
sierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nice
I was between a DBS and V12V, ended up going with the V12V because it's a little more raw but still refined...insurance was considerably less too which was surprising. However, between 3-5 I'd go with the DBS. A 2013 DB9 will go down quite a bit I would think, the Rapide even more so. All are really stunning cars but if TCO is important then the DBS is the best bet out of the three. Main thing though, get what you'll enjoy the most.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:58 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Telum, good post. I agree on most points. Except the Rapide becoming worthless. On the one had I can see that because most folks want a 2 door Aston - and the Bond movies help perpetuate this.

However, the body will be current longer as it will lag next DB platform. Furthermore, because most Astons are 2 seaters a 4 door will forever be unique. Couldn't you imagine in 2025 that a clean Rapid would be more interesting and strike more presence than a DB9?

Could go either way. But the real reason I'm thinking Rapide is that it will allow me to logically compliment it with something crazy like Viper or Alfa (both new). Whereas if I do DBS I wouldn't also have a 2nd sports car. So with Rapide I get 9/10 of the full Aston driving experience, plus a toy, plus others get to share in the Aston experience with me to boot!

If I do get it, I sure hope everybody else sees it like me and helps values LOL
Didn't mean to imply that the Rapide is worthless. They're seriously handsome cars in person, with tons of presence. I haven't driven one, but if it's 9/10 the driving experience then by all means! The rest of AM's range is just so great to drive that something like a V12V or DBS just stand out to me. Again, all just my opinion, can't go wrong regardless. And your logic makes perfect sense - nice to have a variety of car types!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DBS, DB9 or Rapide?