Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AM V12 Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by telum01
If I remember correctly, the V12 has two AOSs in the V under the intake manifold. They'd be easy enough to relocate if you're pulling everything else out. I can get those fabbed up for you (they'd be the same internally-baffled units sold through Stuart, but with the brackets and in/outlets customized to suit whichever cars you're putting them on).
I've fitted aftermarket units in place with ease, you can leave them in place providing there not clogged and just tap into the hoses at the manifold and intake ducts. The AOS go to each bank, top of the throttle on a port to manifold. The Cam covers are then vented to each intake duct at bottom near throttle.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
The V12's can be flashed with files from Stuart..I plea the 5th and can't legally say I've done it!

Water to Air sounds great but hood clearance would be an issue, unless the cooler rad was about an inch from the intake ports. The runners over the cam covers are about 2 inches on a DB9 variant..the old Vanquish manifold is taller with a lot more hood clearance.

The V8's have **** loads of room, that cad design you have for Porsche is great, but for the V8 it's already been engineered by Jag/LR for there supercharged 4.2L engines..one might say for the 4.3/4.7L it's almost a direct fit.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:34 AM
MRY
MRY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Yes to ceramics, no to blanketing.

We did measure temps on the primaries on OEM manifolds versus our coated headers and the temperatures were substantially lower. You can also tell the difference because you can take a hot car that has just been run up and down the street and put the back of your hand next to the primary, just a couple of cm away and you barely feel any heat.

Compared to the OEM, where you could hardly get an arm into the engine bay. This was on a 2005 DB9.

So I'm pretty confident we could execute, but due to the past history with the Vanquish I would be very, very careful and I wouldn't want to send out a 'test' part to someone unless I had absolute confidence in the installers and the test environment.
Glad to hear the same in the AM bay..

Old 07-09-2015, 11:55 AM
MRY
Originally Posted by irish07
The V12's can be flashed with files from Stuart..I plea the 5th and can't legally say I've done it!

Water to Air sounds great but hood clearance would be an issue, unless the cooler rad was about an inch from the intake ports. The runners over the cam covers are about 2 inches on a DB9 variant..the old Vanquish manifold is taller with a lot more hood clearance.

The V8's have **** loads of room, that cad design you have for Porsche is great, but for the V8 it's already been engineered by Jag/LR for there supercharged 4.2L engines..one might say for the 4.3/4.7L it's almost a direct fit.
V12TT:
The Laminova units would be inside the stock manifold.. The stock manifold or a Vanquish manifold would be cut open, and the coolers installed inside with a small lip flange to bolt the halves together. It would then be installed back on the heads, with water lines sticking out the ends to plumb the water lines and a pump. It would look stock, and not be bigger other than a 10mm seam for the clamshell bolts. If someone wanted to get a bit more creative, they could take the manifold, have a CAD file made, and have a manifold cast with the bolt holes integral to the clamshell so there is no outer 10mm lip. This would be similar to a Ferrari 550/575/612 manifold, but the bolts would be recessed in a bore that had a shoulder for the bolt head on one side, and threaded on the other side to receive the threaded shank. It could be sealed with O-rings, or Hylomar if the surfaces were precision machined.

V8 SC: Thanks for the kind words on the CAD.
I have not measured the hood/bonnet clearance in a V8 Vantage, so I have no idea how much space there is in the engine bay. The CAD shown earlier is much lower in height than the Jag/Rover unit. It is only 2 inches taller than the Opcon compressor which is about 6 inches tall, and the intended application has a lot less room than the Jag/Rover engine compartment. I have a Full size Rover SC, and compared the heights of the assemblies, the one pictured is several inches shorter in height than the Rover unit when I measured it. My original idea was to use the Jag/Eaton assembly in my application, but it would not fit without cutting the bonnet open and modifying the firewall.. A no-no design parameter for me.. Although, the Jag XKR/XJR & Rover setup is nice, I prefer a different compressor than the stock Eaton unit. Anyway, others may find this information very useful for a V8V though..

As Stuart can tweak the ECU, if what you say about the room in a V8V and the units being a direct fit, this may be a solution for those desiring an SC in a V8V.

Best Regards,

Last edited by MRY; 07-09-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:01 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
I've been wondering about that for a while. How about a new thread on this topic?

Old 07-09-2015, 12:04 PM
MRY
Question Camshafts and pistons

Question to those in AM land...

Camshafts:

Does anyone have a cam card or specification measurements for AM V12 cams?

DB9 - 450 HP
DB9 - 470 HP
DB9 - 510 HP
DBS - 510 HP

I am curious about the lift, duration, and other bits.. (VVT/no VVT etc..)

Pistons:

Does anyone have specification measurements for AM V12 pistons?

DB9 - 450 HP
DB9 - 470 HP
DB9 - 510 HP
DBS - 510 HP

I am curious about the piston crown and skirt shape, pin bores, as well as ring land measurements. Also looking for information on the rings and types of rings used on the pistons. Material is also interesting, what type of alloy. I'm thinking it is some kind of hyperutectic cast alloy, and might be similar to a Ford Duratec piston, but I would like to be certain..

Post it here, post a link, or a PM is fine..

Thanks in advance

Best Regards,

Last edited by MRY; 07-13-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by cret
I've been wondering about that for a while. How about a new thread on this topic?
Well..you just might see something in due time

Old 07-30-2015, 08:14 AM
biggynuts01 has a spectacular aura aboutbiggynuts01 has a spectacular aura about

Yes pleeese start a new thread on this! Id love to see something come out of it.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:18 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by MRY
Question to those in AM land...

Camshafts:

Does anyone have a cam card or specification measurements for AM V12 cams?

DB9 - 450 HP
DB9 - 470 HP
DB9 - 510 HP
DBS - 510 HP

I am curious about the lift, duration, and other bits.. (VVT/no VVT etc..)

Pistons:

Does anyone have specification measurements for AM V12 pistons?

DB9 - 450 HP
DB9 - 470 HP
DB9 - 510 HP
DBS - 510 HP

I am curious about the piston crown and skirt shape, pin bores, as well as ring land measurements. Also looking for information on the rings and types of rings used on the pistons. Material is also interesting, what type of alloy. I'm thinking it is some kind of hyperutectic cast alloy, and might be similar to a Ford Duratec piston, but I would like to be certain..

Post it here, post a link, or a PM is fine..

Thanks in advance

Best Regards,
For the V8 my info says:
Intake and Exhaust lobes the same.
seat to seat duration 280 deg (220 deg at .050 in)
Lift 0.437 in
Base circle 1.495 in
IVO 35 deg BTDC to 15 deg ATDC (variable intake valve timing up to 50 crank degrees)

For V12(may be older Vanquish S cam profile):
Intake and Exhaust lobes different, seat to seat:
Intake 8 deg BTDC, 29 deg ABDC, duration 217 deg, lift .19 in
Exhaust 29 deg BBDC, 12 deg ATDC, duration 221 deg, lift .205 in

Last edited by rmrmd1956; 08-08-2015 at 06:00 AM. Reason: added info
Old 08-08-2015, 10:53 AM
MRY
AM V12 Twin Turbo

Originally Posted by rmrmd1956
For the V8 my info says:
Intake and Exhaust lobes the same.
seat to seat duration 280 deg (220 deg at .050 in)
Lift 0.437 in
Base circle 1.495 in
IVO 35 deg BTDC to 15 deg ATDC (variable intake valve timing up to 50 crank degrees)

For V12(may be older Vanquish S cam profile):
Intake and Exhaust lobes different, seat to seat:
Intake 8 deg BTDC, 29 deg ABDC, duration 217 deg, lift .19 in
Exhaust 29 deg BBDC, 12 deg ATDC, duration 221 deg, lift .205 in
Thanks much!!!

Quick question:

The V12 lifts seem a bit low, can you double check??

Thanks again

Old 09-24-2015, 11:18 AM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
rocker arm ratio 2.024