Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

577hp vs. 470hp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 03:31 PM
N91K is on a distinguished road
577hp vs. 470hp

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share my experience with the 2014 S63 4matic vs. my 2010 Rapide. So the S63 is my cousin's car and i got the chance to drive it for a week, i think my expectations for the S63 AMG were "too" high because when i drove the car and sat inside i didn't feel as special as i feel driving and sitting in the Rapide. I don't want you to get me wrong its an amazing car, i loved the technology vs the Rapide, i also liked the seat it was very comfortable. The driving experience however wasn't as fun as you'd expect from an AMG, it felt like a big heavy car whereas the Rapide feels like a sports car even when it is actually a really long+comfortable car. Also, the sound of a 577 HP car should be much much better than that, i know its an S class it should be quiet but not for an AMG and not while flooring it.

In the end, this made me even more appreciative of what we've got because its on another level to be honest.

I know this might not be an interesting thread i just wanted to share my experience.

PS- It has the 65 package (wheels,bumpers,diffuser).

Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2015, 03:47 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
They are fantastic cars, but it's impossible for such a large mass produced model to have the unique boutique manufacturer special feel. I agree with your statements. For that reason I will be buying the MY16 vantage before the changeover to the twin turbo engines.

Keep your Rapide

Old 07-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
They are fantastic cars, but it's impossible for such a large mass produced model to have the unique boutique manufacturer special feel. I agree with your statements. For that reason I will be buying the MY16 vantage before the changeover to the twin turbo engines.

Keep your Rapide
Exactly! And i am keeping my Rapide for as long as it lives.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:32 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I've always generalized the two this way:

Astons are made to be driven. Mercedes are made to be ridden in (even as a driver).

The driving experience of an Aston is hard to beat, while the technology and amenities of M-B is top-notch. The next gen of Astons will *hopefully* gives us the best of both worlds.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:11 PM
^

That is perfectly said.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:11 PM
MRY
MRY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by N91K
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share my experience with the 2014 S63 4matic vs. my 2010 Rapide. So the S63 is my cousin's car and i got the chance to drive it for a week, i think my expectations for the S63 AMG were "too" high because when i drove the car and sat inside i didn't feel as special as i feel driving and sitting in the Rapide. I don't want you to get me wrong its an amazing car, i loved the technology vs the Rapide, i also liked the seat it was very comfortable. The driving experience however wasn't as fun as you'd expect from an AMG, it felt like a big heavy car whereas the Rapide feels like a sports car even when it is actually a really long+comfortable car. Also, the sound of a 577 HP car should be much much better than that, i know its an S class it should be quiet but not for an AMG and not while flooring it.

In the end, this made me even more appreciative of what we've got because its on another level to be honest.

I know this might not be an interesting thread i just wanted to share my experience.

PS- It has the 65 package (wheels,bumpers,diffuser).
The 65 with the V12TT is a different animal than the 63TTV8, and it feels less "heavy" with the V12, and sounds a lot better. It's also larger and heavier than a Rapide, so not an orange - orange comparison as the Rapide is lighter and smaller.

I would prefer to be driven in an S65, while I would prefer to drive the Rapide. The Rapide is much more "special" feeling, but for burning miles and being comfortable, the S65 V12TT is just something else..

A buddy of mine has a Renntech Tuned 65 that keeps up with a Ferrari F12... I have driven both at 300Kph+.. It would literally run away from a Rapide and leave it sitting.. Then again,it has 700+ HP with the Renn Tech Mods..

On the upside, if the Rapide gets the MBV12TT with Bosch ECU's then we may be looking at a Rapide that is both special and can then run away from the S65......

Just my $0.02

Old 07-27-2015, 03:45 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
I dont see how you can even compare an S class and a Rapide. Totally different cars. Even though they have 4 doors, they are not in the same class. Its like comparing a DB9 to a S class coupe. If you want to compare the Rapide and a S class as a 4 door car, the S class beats the Rapide out in every category. Comfort, leg room, head room, technology, ride quality, ETC ETC. A Rapide is a DB9 with two extra doors and rear seats that only have room for a 10 year old. Ive had a dozen of AMG cars in the past, a few CLs and S classes, I can tell you that if you want more VROOM out of them, its very easily done with basic tunes and exhaust swaps.

I wish they would have made the Rapide as a great alternative to the S class and 7BMW but it just falls short of everything you look for in a four door.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:10 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
I'll weigh in on the side of the Rapide. Yes, true, an S-class is a different beast, it's for carrying people in the back seat. That said, 90% of the time I see one (and I see tons here), there are 1 or 2 people. And we're not comparing the standard S-class, we're talking about the AMG, which is allegedly the "performance" (or something) version. So I think it is fair to compare the performance bona fides.

If I want a big lux car, an S will be on the list. But I've never understood the appeal of an AMG S. It reminds me of the Bently GT Speed that I drove. What a confused beast. Heavy, lumbering, powerful but dead feeling. Why not just get the GT and have a GT?

Where Astons excel (and most people don't bother to have a look/drive) is in delivering a car for the way an enthusiast actually drives. What mystifies me to no end is the pile of money people are willing to part with to get the "performance" version of a car that will never ever be a performance car (I'm looking at you Mercedes and Bentley buyers).

The Rapide (and I haven't even tried a Rapide S) is a wonderful four seat touring car. Anyone who says otherwise probably hasn't driven or ridden in one (or is over 6'4").

Old 07-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
I might be biased but... when looking for big 4 doors... P90D = 762 HP

Old 07-29-2015, 11:17 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Bleen
I might be biased but... when looking for big 4 doors... P90D = 762 HP
Meh.
I know my (many of us) opinion is going into the dustbin, but that silent, linear pull is, for lack of a better word, DULL. Part of being a car guy is being a snorting, roaring, fire breathing engine guy.

What's that quote: "...mystery, frustration, sweat, loud noises, smoke, camaraderie, celebration, contentment"

I just get none of that from the E cars. Even if they do get to 60 in 2 seconds.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:28 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by IbisRider
Meh.
I know my (many of us) opinion is going into the dustbin, but that silent, linear pull is, for lack of a better word, DULL. Part of being a car guy is being a snorting, roaring, fire breathing engine guy.

What's that quote: "...mystery, frustration, sweat, loud noises, smoke, camaraderie, celebration, contentment"

I just get none of that from the E cars. Even if they do get to 60 in 2 seconds.
Have you driven one?

Old 07-29-2015, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Bleen
Have you driven one?
Not a 90. I drove a P85+. More of that power would not change my reaction. What I drove was already quicker and torque-ier than anything I've driven with the exception of the V12 Vantage (I think). But even my Vantage S is so much more satisfying when I press the pedal.

The Tesla just feels like a launch on a coaster. And I can go ride California Screamin' if I want to feel that.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:06 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
The justification I see for an AMG S-Class is if I'm limited on the number of cars I have and need something that can pull double-duty as both a passenger/commuting car (S-Class) and as a performance car (AMG). But if multiple cars are an option, why not get two cars that are good at different things rather than one car that's a bad combination of two different types of vehicle? It's really a matter of compromise to buy an AMG S-Class - and most people in that market don't actually need to compromise.

It's definitely a first-world problem, but we're that's what we're discussing here lol. Most Aston owners don't have only their Aston - the Aston is a second (or third, or whatever) car.

And not everything is about power and speed. Some of the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel of a car was in a 1985 Honda Civic wagon. It was slow, handled terrible, had a crappy manual transmission, and was all windows and absurd laughter throwing it around. When we talk about Teslas, it's back to the driving experience. Astons aren't the fastest cars around, but they're just so good to drive.

Sport cars shouldn't be numb.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MRY

...A buddy of mine has a Renntech Tuned 65 that keeps up with a Ferrari F12... I have driven both at 300Kph+.. It would literally run away from a Rapide and leave it sitting.. Then again,it has 700+ HP with the Renn Tech Mods..

On the upside, if the Rapide gets the MBV12TT with Bosch ECU's then we may be looking at a Rapide that is both special and can then run away from the S65......

Just my $0.02
One could modify the Rapide too...

A Rapide with an AMG engine would not be special at all IMO.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:46 PM
MRY
MRY is on a distinguished road
577hp vs. 470hp

Originally Posted by Speedraser
One could modify the Rapide too...

A Rapide with an AMG engine would not be special at all IMO.
From the point of view of someone who has actually engineered forced induction systems and modified lots of engines and can actually make a TT setup for an Aston, (See the AM TT thread) it would be easier if the factory just made it that way. (without using the current off the shelf ford duratec pistons in their version of two duratec V6's)

IMO, using off the shelf ford pistons is the same as AMG pistons or engine.... Being the AMG pistons are probably Mahle units, I favour the Mahle units for quality and finish over the ford units based on experience with using Mahle parts for many years.......

Just my $0.02

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 577hp vs. 470hp