Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Going to see a Rapide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:23 PM
phy6 is on a distinguished road
Going to see a Rapide

I'm flying to NY tomorrow to see a 2011 Rapide and hopefully take her home if it goes well. If not, I may be stuck with getting a Maser GT this weekend. I really had my heart set on Vantages, but now that I'm driving my Lotus Exige more and more I see the benefits of a usable 2+2.

I'm trying to get some Mannheim prices for this model, I should have asked earlier. I was able to track down the previous owner and talk to him, and get details on the warranty work that was carried out. The car has about 20k on the clock, and is missing the 2nd glass key.

Should I bother getting a PPI when buying from an Aston Dealer?
I'm going to Long Island Sports Cars (Aston Martin of Long Island)
http://www.longislandsportscars.com/

Anyone here deal with them? Seems like they get ahold of rare cars like One 77s.

This is the car
http://www.longislandsportscars.com/...York/14292520/

Old 07-29-2015, 04:58 PM
REDVANTAGE is on a distinguished road
when you check it out in person and you like the price/condition etc i'd grab it. I have no doubt authorized Aston dealers go through an extensive check list and service before putting a vehicle up for sale, so trust in that.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:09 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Ask the dealer if there is a trick to replacing the oil filter WITHOUT removing the throttle body.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by REDVANTAGE
when you check it out in person and you like the price/condition etc i'd grab it. I have no doubt authorized Aston dealers go through an extensive check list and service before putting a vehicle up for sale, so trust in that.
Thanks! My main concern was the conditions of the brakes and transmission. It seems that these cars have the slush-box tranny, not a robotized manual, correct?

A couple of the things on this car were a sticking fuel door and a leak in the rear passenger seat buckle bolt hole that was causing it to get water on the floor mats when parked at an angle.

I JUST received my Aston Martin book in the mail, time to dig through that.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Ask the dealer if there is a trick to replacing the oil filter WITHOUT removing the throttle body.
I'll ask that!

XLR8, are you also on the LotusTalk forums?

Old 07-29-2015, 08:49 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Yes, the Aston dealer will do a check, ask to see the check list.

These are very solid cars with few issues. If you've spoken to the previous owner, it's fine. The transmission is a slushbox auto but it's a very good one. Drive it and if you like the colors and the price, just buy it. You'll like it. Waaaaaay cooler than a Maser GT.

Do you have any specific concerns?

Old 07-30-2015, 12:13 AM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
I saw one in Beverly Hills last month when I was there on business. It was early in the morning, the guy was probably heading to work. Black car, saddle interior - absolutely stunnng! I stood, with mouth hanging open, watching and listening to this beauty as it went by.

Like the other lads have said, if you like it - buy it!

Old 07-30-2015, 12:24 AM
This is an off lease car and my concerns are that they may have skipped the last maintenance cycle because they owned it for a couple years now. The two year service under the leasee was in Dec 2012 at 8600 miles. The next records after that show the dealer as the owner, 19k miles on the clock and no indication that the brake pads have ever been replaced.
The last records at 19k miles show:
"Sales dept requests check vehicle over for needed maintenance and advise" reply: "No work to be performed at this time"

They did however perform a throttle pedal replacement and refinished the wheels for curb rash.

I was told that the dealer has been using this car since it came off lease. They also seem to be missing the extra key(s) that came with this car--even though I spoke to the previous owner and he has pictures of the 4 keys he turned back in (two glass, two plastic)

Last edited by phy6; 07-30-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:21 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by phy6
I'll ask that!

XLR8, are you also on the LotusTalk forums?
Indeed - although it has been years since browsing over there.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Le sigh

So it turns out the dealer lost one of the glass keys, even though it is advertised with two glass keys on their site. Seller wouldn't budge from their initial semi-negotiated, non-signed amount. Neither would he offer to replace the key missing from the advertisement. So I walked.

The other surprises I found were low rear brake pads, some paint damage under the rear chrome hatch trim, and really beat up wheel center caps. No dents or dings I could see and the car smelled fine.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:10 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
The dealer lost the key? Soooo the dealer needs to replace it...

Regardless, it sucks that it didn't work out!

Old 07-30-2015, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by telum01
The dealer lost the key? Soooo the dealer needs to replace it...

Regardless, it sucks that it didn't work out!
I was determined not to be emotional or too attached to the car during negotiations. It is just a car, one among many. My main problem was that it was/is still advertised as having two ECUs. Also the rear brake pads were low and should have been replaced.

They were very unhappy that I tracked down the previous owner. However the previous owner was so awesome, definitely a great guy who cared about the car and made sure everything was returned in excellent condition. Couldn't ask for a better previous seller to talk to.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:00 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Going to see a Rapide

Originally Posted by phy6
They were very unhappy that I tracked down the previous owner.
Of course they were. The less you know the more they can get away with. They hate buyers like you.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:45 AM
Mark8V8 will become famous soon enoughMark8V8 will become famous soon enough
Recently I negotiated a price (same dealer) on an Aston only to have that price retracted. I also had the "two glass keys become one" issue. I will say the dealer did rectify the key issue.

Last edited by Mark8V8; 07-31-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:20 AM
jonnyringo is on a distinguished road
Elite Motorsports in Austin Texas just got in a 2011 Rapide with 22k miles. Elite Motorsports is a breeze to deal with no matter the car, your concerns or requests, so long as they are within reason. You can do a simple google search and find tons of pleased customers.

Here is the link
http://m.elitemotorsports.com/#/vehicle/3363625

Give SW a call and I'm sure you can work a deal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going to see a Rapide