Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 Refresh

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Squaremeal is on a distinguished road
DB9 Refresh

First a big hello from across the pond!

I understand it is traditional to introduce ones self on the forum and after reading and picking up so many great tips on the forum I thought It was only fair to bore you with a cross post from piston heads by way of introduction.

Oh but first of course the confession... My name is Paul and I am a petrol head.. It started with my first car an Alfa Romeo Sprint and then got worse with a string of Fiat Coupe Turbos, Lancias, Porsche Boxsters and then a mighty Jaguar XKR before my Aston. Which to celbrate its tenth birthday I sort the odd spots of corrosion and a got the car a respray for a present - I had decided the car was a keeper! On top of this I had the wheels re-powder coated (in Tungsten rather that the original DB9 LM grey) and diamond cut once more. If the exterior wasn't enough I went a little mad (actually, probably very mad), and commissioned a retrim the interior.

I love the purity of the original Sara Maynard interior and wanted to upgrade the interior whilst still being sympathetic to the original design.. To which end, with a little inspiration from the DB9 Sportmodificato, I choose a partial quilted finish for the retrim.

All of which was finished off by Mr Tony Hall's excellent ***** and Bamford Rose's crystal buttons (which really lift the interior ambiance to my mind).

Boring photos below.....

Next project, after the bank balance recovers(!), a stereo upgrade whilst leaving original interior features intact - anything must be an improvement on the Linn!

Damp day in England

Old 01-02-2016, 03:23 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum! Great job on the DB9 so far, looks like you've got an excellent eye for tasteful modifications! Looking forward to seeing more

Old 01-02-2016, 03:51 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Looks fantastic! Where did you source the leather from? How did it match? I'm looking at doing something similar but having a hard time sourcing the OEM leather. Congrats on the car.. Really beautiful.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:03 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I really like what you did to the seats. The original seats always looked a little flat to me. The contrast with quilting lower and smooth upper works well. Good job!

Old 01-02-2016, 08:03 PM
skeena river rove is on a distinguished road
Beautiful db9!

Did you also updated (new style) the front grill and side mirrors?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:26 PM
Yes, I did - the old mirrors kept on flaking and were sooo noisy...

Old 01-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by speedracer800
Looks fantastic! Where did you source the leather from? How did it match? I'm looking at doing something similar but having a hard time sourcing the OEM leather. Congrats on the car.. Really beautiful.
The leather was sourced from bridge of Weir - a good match to my mind.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:45 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
I saw this on PH yesterday and mentioned to my gf about how crazy you are (in a good way haha). Welcome to the forums!

Old 01-03-2016, 01:09 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the info regarding the leather. Do they sell directly to the public or is it necessary to go through a dealer?

I also would like to change my mirrors to a later version. I think they look much nicer on your car.. What year mirrors did you source? We're they a direct fit as far as the electric connection for the power folding application?

Thanks again for the help..

Old 01-03-2016, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the info regarding the leather. Do they sell directly to the public or is it necessary to go through a dealer?

I also would like to change my mirrors to a later version. I think they look much nicer on your car.. What year mirrors did you source? We're they a direct fit as far as the electric connection for the power folding application?

+1

Was it easy to change the side mirrors? I like them a lot!

Old 01-03-2016, 06:10 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by skeena river rove
+1

Was it easy to change the side mirrors? I like them a lot!
Another +1. More details please.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:20 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold

I now see where you're coming from @speedracer800... I'll take my words back

OT: great mods to a beautiful car indeed Paul!

Old 01-04-2016, 12:34 AM

I understand that they do sell to the public - but I'll check for you.

In regard to the new mirrors.

The newer mirrors where fitted with the elegant thin mirror (as seen on my car) 2009-2010 before a EU reg change that mandated a larger mirror (2010 onward).

There are four parts to the mirror - the cap, mirror itself, mirror fitting and fixing set.

In regards to fitting they are a direct swap but... to quote AstonMartinBits.com

"DIRECT FIT TO EARLIER DB9'S, COUPE OR VOLANTE, HOWEVER OWNERS OF EARLY CARS WITH A VIN ENDING LESS THAN 5151 ( AROUND 2007) SHOULD CHECK IF THE MIRRORS HAVE BEEN UPDATED (- MANY HAVE BEEN UNDER WARRANTY), THE EASIEST WAY TO TELL IS IF THE INNER TRIM IS SECURED WITH 3 SCREWS, ( SEE PICTURE) IF IT IS NO MORE PARTS ARE NEEDED, IF THE TRIM HAS NO SCREWS BUT IS CLIPPED ON YOU WILL NEED MORE PARTS"

http://astonmartinbits.com/models/4-DB9/parts/2482

Old 01-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the info!

Old 01-04-2016, 12:35 PM
911MTB will become famous soon enough
The car looks great, especially the seats. Welcome!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DB9 Refresh