Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DBS misfire/fuel contamination

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:50 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
AMG55, do you remember what size piping you used and where did you get it?

Old 04-01-2016, 08:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by //amg55
Ok, so I did this on two db9's actually. I removed all the stock pcv plumbing under the plenum and ran a new alloy pipe and welded it up to Y off to the two pcv valves located as seen in the photo. This alleviated any need to remove plenums to take care of this oil issue. Should have been done this way from the factory.

I will do the same to this DBS if the oil becomes a problem, but for now I will leave it as is.

Oh boy...

By chance do you know if this car made it's way to Montreal? I had one exactly like that..metal lines right to the back.

Rubber hoses were not oil/fuel resistant so they inflated, blocked and ripped open, spilling oil all over the back of the block. In the front, the rubber hose over the pcv inflated also and would pop out for the Secondary bank pipe that was created. I then realized the Primary vent lines had the duck valve the wrong way. So instead of venting after the throttle, it was venting excessive pressure before the throttle from the intersecting pipe...this didn't allow the Primary bank to inhale and only become under vacuum, so it would burn excessive oil on the Primary bank.

Not saying it's the same car..but the one I had, looked exactly like that..just full of dirt and oil

Old 04-02-2016, 11:19 AM
//amg55 is on a distinguished road
No, this was a US car. We did this job on two db9s to resolve the intake oil problems. There is no rubber hosing on the setup, except for the factory rubber elbows which were reused in the rear where it attaches to the block. In fact, if you look closely at the photo above, we actually reused the plastic factory pcv tubes and rubbers couplers to reconnect to the valves that are now located in the center and front.

The factory setup works well if you like to pull the plenums off like changing a tire; all to reach those silly little 5.0 v8 ford pcv style valves.

On a side note Irish, have you had any experience with dbs fuel system or coil issues? You seem to have a lot of experiences and I appreciate your response!

Originally Posted by irish07
Oh boy...

By chance do you know if this car made it's way to Montreal? I had one exactly like that..metal lines right to the back.

Rubber hoses were not oil/fuel resistant so they inflated, blocked and ripped open, spilling oil all over the back of the block. In the front, the rubber hose over the pcv inflated also and would pop out for the Secondary bank pipe that was created. I then realized the Primary vent lines had the duck valve the wrong way. So instead of venting after the throttle, it was venting excessive pressure before the throttle from the intersecting pipe...this didn't allow the Primary bank to inhale and only become under vacuum, so it would burn excessive oil on the Primary bank.

Not saying it's the same car..but the one I had, looked exactly like that..just full of dirt and oil

Old 04-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
There's no need to remove the manifolds for access to the pcv's.. Just remove a fuel rail(or both) and there right in sight. Instead of a 10 second job like your kit it's a 10 minute job with the factory stuff.

I dunno, to each there own I guess..but if your replacing pcv's regularly on the same car.. I believe there's another issue at hand. The pcv is a Ford unit just like you mentioned.. But it's a simple design and they didn't fail unless they gummed up. If they gummed up, it would be from lack of maintenance. A client track racing every weekend doesn't have the same oil maintenance schedule as the client that drives normally @ every 12mths. Same goes for the client that drives the car little distance, so little that the engine doesn't even reach operating temp and doesn't shift above 3,000rpm...

As for my knowledge, I might know a thing or 2.. what do you need to know?

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 04-02-2016, 06:56 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by irish07
what do you need to know?
How about we start with your credentials, Mr Know It All

Old 04-03-2016, 08:12 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Update.

2 cans of injector cleaner and a 300 mile trip hasn't cured my rough idle. BUT, I no longer feel any missing or hesitation on acceleration. Better.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:00 PM
//amg55 is on a distinguished road
My symptoms went away completely after the fuel injection cleaner/dry gas. Maybe I had old gas/water in tank. With the ethanol in fuel these days, I think its plausible that one year old fuel was turning bad/absorbing water (phase separation). Car sat for a year with less than 200 miles. If it comes back I will pull intake and do all coils like I have done on other db9s.

Hopefully this helps others with similar issues.