Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Did the clutch in the V8V improve after 2007?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 10:14 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Did the clutch in the V8V improve after 2007?

Hey guys,

Owned a 2007 V8 Vantage with Sportshift back in 2008. At about 6k miles I started smelling rotten eggs when I was moving the car in reverse and could not figure out why? I never had a slippage or anything that I could remember but after I sold it the new owner informed me that the clutch needed replacement at 8k miles and I believe it was covered under the warranty. To get to the point of my question, did AM improve their Sportshift clutch in the new 4.7L or still a short lifetime? Thinking of a 2009, but if the issue with the clutch is still a existing one as might as well go for the MT.

Appreciate your time,

Lev

Old 05-30-2016, 10:20 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Sportshift was a completely new unit from '09 on (someone can give you more details I'm sure). As for it being common going bad that early on, from what I've read (and what ultimately cemented my decision on a 6MT) is that due to the specialized nature of the Sportshift in the '06-08, unless someone knows how to operate it effectively and correctly all the time (including the learning of the clutch or something along those lines), then it's not too surprising for it to need early replacement.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:52 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Ok little off topic, I had my clutch done 18 months ago at the dealer, it's a 6 speed manual.
They told me that all clutches they do are now slightly modified and that even the 4.3 when replaced now gets the clutch from the 4.7
Lighter on pedal and 'supposed' to last better
At the time my local dealer did not endorse the B/rose or clutch from Stuart, now they do if client wants it.
They had a sprtshift open and he explained how little the plate needs to wear on the sportshift compared to the manual (some 1.6mm) and this is why they slip long before the manual

Old 05-31-2016, 11:46 AM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Awesome pieces of information gentlemen. Appreciate your time.