Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage spark plugs and coils

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 09:09 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Vantage spark plugs and coils

My 06' is about to cross 40k miles and seems to be running brilliantly (especially after Velocity headers, LW flywheel and new dual plate clutch just installed).

I am still running original coils/spark plugs. I have searched the forum but cannot find out when it's recommended to change them out on the Vantage?

Old 07-09-2016, 09:48 AM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
I can't speak to the coils but I assume the plugs are addressed in the maintenance section of the owners manual.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:12 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Plugs/coils are pretty standard across the industry. Most have 50-60k service interval. Our course do run significantly rich stock so that can shorten the life of them, however, with your headers & tune they will probably actually last longer.

I actually recommend doing the full BG fuel injector cleaning service (where they hook up BG directly to the fuel rail and pull out the fuel pump fuses). This service is the #1 way to clean up all the internals of the engine and even clean up the cats as well. Just did it on my AMG and it completely brough it back to life (and I use tons of sea foam and it still made a massive difference). Coincidentally it also cleans up the spark plus as well as the combustion cylinders further improving spark plug life

Old 07-09-2016, 12:37 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I can't speak to the coils but I assume the plugs are addressed in the maintenance section of the owners manual.
They say 70k on plugs but nothing on timing. With the car being 10yrs old and running quite rich from stock I was not sure if others recommend changing sooner. I know on the early DB9 threads I saw 25k....

Old 07-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Plugs/coils are pretty standard across the industry. Most have 50-60k service interval. Our course do run significantly rich stock so that can shorten the life of them, however, with your headers & tune they will probably actually last longer.

I actually recommend doing the full BG fuel injector cleaning service (where they hook up BG directly to the fuel rail and pull out the fuel pump fuses). This service is the #1 way to clean up all the internals of the engine and even clean up the cats as well. Just did it on my AMG and it completely brough it back to life (and I use tons of sea foam and it still made a massive difference). Coincidentally it also cleans up the spark plus as well as the combustion cylinders further improving spark plug life
Never have done a BG injector cleaning service. Where did you carry it out at? I Have run a few cans of the techron cleaner over the years never had a full cleaning done.

BTW I plan on doing a write up soon, I just had custom tune done on the car after the most recent mods and put down 375 at the wheels on 100+ degree day on a Dyno (Dynojet @ boost logic) That the shop says reads lowest they have seen. Not bad NA performance on a 4.3L....

Old 07-09-2016, 12:47 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I performed my service at Motorwerks in Houston. It only costs $150-200 and is probably the best money you can spend on maintaining a used car. Makes idle super smooth, clears out the cats (makes exhaust 5-10% louder just by clearing out all the gunk), and engine revs super smooth afterwards with improved throttle response.

In the tank fuel injector cleaners are nothing by comparison. Multiply the effects 5-10x and that's what BG does bc it's injected with pressure directly into the fuel rails and cleans the valves, valves seats, piston tops and etc.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:54 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
you guys must drive it harder ..for longer... hold it in the corners let the motor run ...stop driving like old men...in other words drive it like you stole it you will not need any injector cleaning mine has 30 000 Km on it now, purrs like a tiger breaks window glass in underground parking lots and goes like there is no tomorrow.

......ahm...had a new clutch

Old 07-10-2016, 06:26 PM
I run my engines harder than anyone.... That's still not enough, not remotely. Aston tuned the stock cars so pig rich it causes all kinds of major problems. The BG injector service is essential to keeping the engine running super clean, it is an inherent flaw. Until you get an aftermarket tune you will also have major carbon build up