Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Atlanta Area Owners - Mountain Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:35 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Atlanta Area Owners - Mountain Drive

Over the past few months, I have noticed quite a few folks from around Atlanta posting on the forum, so I thought it'd be great to try and arrange a little mountain drive/ meet-up.

Last year, a half dozen or so of us took a drive up to one of the North GA mountain wineries in late September and it was fantastic. The scenery and weather are beautiful that time of year, and its cooling off just enough to make it a perfect day. We started the drive around 10AM, got some lunch and and got to the winery in time to do a tasting, have a couple more glasses, and listen to some great live music. It was really fun to get the cars out in the mountains and meet some friendly owners and their families. All-in-all, one of the best group outings I've had with Aston owners and something I'd love to repeat this year.

I did some preliminary research and there is a winery hosting a great live music act on Sep 24th in Cleveland, GA. If any Atlanta area owners (or others that want to come into town - more the merrier!) are interested in doing this mountain drive/ activity, let me know and I'll set it up with the winery.

Edit: Since we're getting a decent amount of interest, I created a super quick "sign up" survey to help me keep track of who wants to come and also to get contact info so I can distribute details. If you are able to join us on this drive on the 24th, please take a moment to fill out the following survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SHZMG3L

Picture attached of last year's group

Last edited by mindscape9; 08-18-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:58 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Free bump: That's a great idea. Good luck with it. Would love to see GTA owners doing something similar.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:13 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
I'm likely in for something like this. AMs only? only ask bc a good buddy of mine might be interested but he's in one of those weird Italian cars with the horse that're prone to fires...

Old 08-15-2016, 09:28 PM
patrija is on a distinguished road
Tracking... Midtown V8VR

Old 08-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I'd definitely be interested!
CATTMAN

Old 08-16-2016, 01:13 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Sweet! I hope we can get this put together.

Shooter - I can't see any reason not to include the bull and pony crew if they are friends that want to tag along.

I attached a googlemaps screenshot of a tentative route I planned out. I've driven most of these roads before and it is a good drive. I probably won't be pushing the car to the limit because I'll have my wife with me, but it is still a great ride. Figured we could meet somewhere up 400 on the way up to the mountains and maybe stop and get lunch in Helen or something. Looks like an ~3 hour long drive, factoring a couple stops along the way.

Once I have a firm commitment from folks and can get a headcount, I'll set something concrete up with the winery for tables and find us a place for lunch.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:18 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Sounds like a great time. No Aston though.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:11 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Yeah I've been up there quite a bit myself in that area, a lot of fun roads for sure. Unfortunately I can't commit to this date just yet, there are a couple other things on my calendar that are all tentative right now. Appreciate you planning this regardless and I hope I can make at least the driving and lunch portion at the least.

Originally Posted by mindscape9
Sweet! I hope we can get this put together.

Shooter - I can't see any reason not to include the bull and pony crew if they are friends that want to tag along.

I attached a googlemaps screenshot of a tentative route I planned out. I've driven most of these roads before and it is a good drive. I probably won't be pushing the car to the limit because I'll have my wife with me, but it is still a great ride. Figured we could meet somewhere up 400 on the way up to the mountains and maybe stop and get lunch in Helen or something. Looks like an ~3 hour long drive, factoring a couple stops along the way.

Once I have a firm commitment from folks and can get a headcount, I'll set something concrete up with the winery for tables and find us a place for lunch.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:22 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
That's a might fine pic Mindscape!

I wish I could be there to repeat the last trip. Miss you guys! If you can get confirmations quick enough, perhaps I'll look into flying out for a fun weekend.

If you're including the Italians, make sure you get a German car as well.

Brits will suffer electrical issues, Italians will catch fire, and you'll need the Germans to ensure a reliable ride out of the mountains.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Shooter - noted. Let me know when you have a better idea of your schedule.

Batman - come on back! It'd be great to see you. My wife and I are likely going to do this day regardless of if others are coming along, but while I was planning thought I would extend an invite to all who are interested.

White Rock - It'd be great to have you come along as well.

I'll probably check back here in a week or so to see if people have a serious interest. If so, I'd like to get a firm headcount by 9/1 so that we have plenty of time to arrange anything with the winery that might be necessary. I'm going to be out of town the 2 weeks before the 24th, so will need that extra lead time to make arrangements.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:34 PM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
Maybe I'll drive over from Dallas TX for this next year. I grew up around Smyrna and my wife still has family in the area. I do miss drives in North GA but I didn't do them in my Vantage. Some nice trout fishing up in the mountains and also down to 285 back in the day.

Dave

Old 08-18-2016, 10:45 AM
jbuffa is on a distinguished road
I would be interested in going. I've driven/ridden up there since the 90's and could help set a route.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:36 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
I am in BHAM some of the time, if it is a weekend I am here I would love to do this.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:28 PM
Dave/Jbuffa/ Randy - would love to have you guys join in if you are available. I am going ahead and setting it up for Sep 24th (Sat) and it will run from 10AM until 3/4PM or whenever people want to head home.

Jbuffa - I posted a picture of the route I was planning so feel free to chime in if you have thoughts. Wanted to have some roads that offer a chance for spirited driving, but also keep it light so that significant others can come along and enjoy the day without having to get out their puke bags.

Since we're getting a decent amount of interest, I created a super quick "sign up" survey to help me keep track of who wants to come and also to get contact info so I can distribute details. If you are able to join us on this drive on the 24th, please take a moment to fill out the following survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SHZMG3L

Thanks!

Last edited by mindscape9; 08-18-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:21 AM
jbuffa is on a distinguished road
The only suggestion I would have on the posted route is to avoid 60. It's super tight and hasn't been paved in what seems like decades. This may be an issue if you have a passenger (motion sickness). Here's a loop that still goes up 19 but then comes back down 348 (Richard Russell Scenic Hwy) to Cleveland. Richard Russell has a better flow of sweeping turns and nice overlooks to take pictures. Also, I avoided going thru Dehlonega but that is a good Lunch spot. If we're not going to stop there, I've put in some back roads from the end of 400 to 19. Anyway just my opinion, I would be fine with any route.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Atlanta Area Owners - Mountain Drive