Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Shift boot and knob removal help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 03:03 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Shift boot and **** removal help

Just did a search on this topic and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Essentially I'm about to have some interior bits redone in Alcantara and have several questions:

1) has anyone actually redone/recovered their existing ****? as in, removed stock leather on the **** and rewrapped ?

2) anyone able to share how to remove the shift boot surround to do the job? I read in the thread linked below that you had to take off the armrest, but based on the attached PDF in there from karlfranz I noticed it was for the newer model armrests, does anyone have removal instructions for the 06-08MY cars? (i'm actually trying to wrap the console as well so that'd surely be useful)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...placement.html

3) after reading through multiple threads it doesn't appear that anyone has had luck with an aftermarket ****, but only the $1200 DBS one, is that still accurate or has something come along in the last couple yrs?

Thanks in advance folks.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:39 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
There is no option.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:29 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Just did a search on this topic and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Essentially I'm about to have some interior bits redone in Alcantara and have several questions:

1) has anyone actually redone/recovered their existing ****? as in, removed stock leather on the **** and rewrapped ?

2) anyone able to share how to remove the shift boot surround to do the job? I read in the thread linked below that you had to take off the armrest, but based on the attached PDF in there from karlfranz I noticed it was for the newer model armrests, does anyone have removal instructions for the 06-08MY cars? (i'm actually trying to wrap the console as well so that'd surely be useful)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...placement.html

3) after reading through multiple threads it doesn't appear that anyone has had luck with an aftermarket ****, but only the $1200 DBS one, is that still accurate or has something come along in the last couple yrs?

Thanks in advance folks.
Not many options out there for different ***** due to the way the Aston Martin **** fixes to the shifter assembly. It doesn't screw on then tighten with a jam nut like traditional shifters.. It pushes on then turns clockwise (spring loaded) to lock into position.

I've replaced the **** in my DB9 with the DBS style piece and it's not a very tough job. I've got several pictures I can post but why don't you post a photo of your arm rest and also the pieces behind the armrest in the rear seat area. I just want to see if it's the same as my DB9 was and I could help walk you through disassembly.

I've also got a used DBS **** I've been thinking of selling..not sure if that's the route you want to go or not?

Old 09-28-2016, 08:31 AM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Car is at the shop now so there are all the pics I have. Any instructions would be helpful, I'm trying to help out person doing this as they're a friend.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6443.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	460109   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6444.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	460110  
Old 09-28-2016, 04:38 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Same here as the others: I installed the DBS **** and I love it! Pretty simple swap.

I followed this thread but was much gentler in execution:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...vantage-2.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo748.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	460151  

Last edited by spyder997s; 09-28-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:59 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Car is at the shop now so there are all the pics I have. Any instructions would be helpful, I'm trying to help out person doing this as they're a friend.
I believe that arm rest just slides backwards with a little bit of encouragement and then there's 2 screws that will b exposed at the bottom of the shifter mounting plate. After removing those, that entire piece will shift rearward also and then after unplugging everything and twisting the **** (push down firmly and turn counter clockwise) loose you'll have the shifter mounting panel out. Then everything becomes vvery obvious.
Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20160928_205508.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	496.4 KB
ID:	460160

Name:	rps20160928_205643.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	566.4 KB
ID:	460161

Name:	rps20160928_205806.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	702.7 KB
ID:	460162

Old 09-29-2016, 11:56 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speedracer800
I believe that arm rest just slides backwards with a little bit of encouragement and then there's 2 screws that will b exposed at the bottom of the shifter mounting plate. After removing those, that entire piece will shift rearward also and then after unplugging everything and twisting the **** (push down firmly and turn counter clockwise) loose you'll have the shifter mounting panel out. Then everything becomes vvery obvious
I think there are some screws at the backside of the armrest. Been a while since I tore mine apart and I don't have my car in front of me to re-check, but going from memory:

1) Remove the parcel shelf.
2) Use a Philips-head screwdriver to remove the several screws on the metal bar that frames the parcel shelf, then remove that bar.
3) Use the screwdriver to remove the screw(s) at the back of the armrest.
4) Push the armrest toward the rear of the car to free it. The leading edge of the armrest has a 'tab' that slides under the trim piece ahead of it.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Car is all wrapped up at the shop, going to get it tomorrow. A little bum that the guy didn't want to chance taking apart the stock **** for fear it won't come off correctly and I'll end up having to buy a new one altogether so I'll have to see how it looks and decide where I wanna go with it.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:09 PM
Looking for a DBS **** still? I've got a couple brand new ones available. Let me know if you're interested.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:19 AM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by spyder997s
Same here as the others: I installed the DBS **** and I love it! Pretty simple swap.

I followed this thread but was much gentler in execution:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...vantage-2.html
All you need now is to install a set of glass switches and swap the three lower control ***** for stainless. Just beautiful!

Old 10-16-2016, 09:04 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I found the regular **** to be better than the alloy chunk, so I went the other way.