Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Aston Owner - Help, car won't start!

Old 10-08-2016, 08:39 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
New Aston Owner - Help, car won't start!

I just bought my 2012 V8 Vantage S (Sportshift II w/ 21k miles) a week ago and without any warning, the car will not start tonight giving an error "Fault No Gear Change Possible". When I stepped out of the car, I slipped on the garage floor, and then discovered a huge puddle coming from underneath the car near the rear center (close to rear axle/diff) - the fluid is green/yellow (transmission fluid?). Upon further inspection, the leak appears to have started while I had the car out earlier in the day. I can see streaks along the bottom panel all the way back to the rear bumper - guess I was lucky to make it home. The car has been mostly sitting at a dealership all summer, and I've put about 300 miles on it this week (probably 150 of them today).

Looks like I'll be getting it towed Monday morning - any ideas what it could be? Really hoping I didn't just buy a car that needs a new clutch first thing!?! Not sure if this helps, but values from a PPI diagnostic scan I had done a couple of weeks ago:

Self tuned clutch closed position = 1619
Self tuned clutch closed position - kiss point delta = 447
Clutch overheat timer = 496

The shop explained my clutch looks more than 50% worn based on these numbers, but it didn't sound like end of life was in 300 more miles! Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

Last edited by JTaylorGT; 10-08-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
That sucks mate, sorry to hear that. I just purchased the same make model about 3 weeks ago and would be devastated if that happened to me. Hopefully it's something inexpensive!

Old 10-09-2016, 05:29 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Green yellow fluid is usually antifreeze. Hope it is something simple.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Hmm, I did some more internet research and found someone with the same year/model car that had a similar error message and fluid coming out the rear. He said it ended up being a faulty clip on a clutch line that resulted in a hydraulic clutch fluid leak. Not sure what this fluid looks/smells like...

Does antifreeze run to the rear of the car (i.e. to the differential perhaps for transmission cooling)?

I'm calling a tow truck tomorrow but am worried b/c the car is stuck in first gear - it won't go into neutral with the transmission fault. I have no idea how we're going to push the car out of the garage?!?

Old 10-09-2016, 11:39 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
damn that sucks, these cars do NOT like to sit for prolonged periods of time. hopefully it's a relatively simple fix and you'll get it squared away quickly.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:01 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Sounds like it is clutch fluid, if it has green in it, sounds like the fluid has not been changed regularly. Most modern cars use brake fluid for clutches, good luck with your problem, hope it is just a clip.

Be thankful it did not happen on the road.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:43 AM
Well, that was fun. The tow truck driver was super cool and careful - he coached me through every step and came up with a solution that would not ruin my garage floors since the car was stuck in gear. It was a 2-hour process to extract the car from my garage! Basically we hosed down the floors and slid it out with a winch very carefully. Would have preferred a flatbed but that wasn't possible with the car stuck in first gear and the tight space in my driveway (I live in the city).

The shop says the Sportshift send/return lines to the rear differential failed (well, technically just the send line); Aston sells both hoses and all clamps as a kit, so they will be replacing both lines (about 3 hours of labor). Parts should arrive tomorrow so hoping to get the car back for Caffeine & Exotics this weekend here in Atlanta! Overall, a relief to know it's nothing major, just inconvenient given the mess of clutch fluid in my garage!

Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2016, 07:20 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Well that is better news than I thought it would be. Your Vantage is very cool looking. I hope this is the last of your problems.
Ron

Old 10-17-2016, 01:12 PM
ahcjar103 is on a distinguished road
great looking car and glad it turned out alright!

Old 10-17-2016, 02:51 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JTaylorGT
Well, that was fun. The tow truck driver was super cool and careful - he coached me through every step and came up with a solution that would not ruin my garage floors since the car was stuck in gear. It was a 2-hour process to extract the car from my garage! Basically we hosed down the floors and slid it out with a winch very carefully. Would have preferred a flatbed but that wasn't possible with the car stuck in first gear and the tight space in my driveway (I live in the city).

The shop says the Sportshift send/return lines to the rear differential failed (well, technically just the send line); Aston sells both hoses and all clamps as a kit, so they will be replacing both lines (about 3 hours of labor). Parts should arrive tomorrow so hoping to get the car back for Caffeine & Exotics this weekend here in Atlanta! Overall, a relief to know it's nothing major, just inconvenient given the mess of clutch fluid in my garage!
glad you're getting it sorted, will you be making the mtn run this sunday?

Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys, I unfortunately have a conflict Sunday but is this the drive sponsored by Motorcars for Georgia? I need to get on their email list...

Old 10-17-2016, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by JTaylorGT
Thanks guys, I unfortunately have a conflict Sunday but is this the drive sponsored by Motorcars for Georgia? I need to get on their email list...
yeah it is, catch you next time.