Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

HELP!! Rats got to my engine at the wharves!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 07:14 PM
guyedison is an unknown quantity at this point
Video HELP!! Rats got to my engine at the wharves!!

Hi Yah AM owners!!

Well I took the punge recentlyand obtained a 2006 V8V and shipped it to Jamaica. It was starting fine, but it seems on the way over, the rats to a liking to the engine bay and went dining on wires, insulation etc . Got the car, it will crank over, come to life for a brief moment, then die and just keep turning over . So after some sleuthing found a few things:

1) The dined on the wires leading to the fuel rail oressure sensor multiplug connector. Ate clean through two and one really close to the head of the connector. Now I don't fancy coughling up U$4k for an new engine loom. So does ANYONE have a used connector that I can purchase?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Damaged Connector_annotated.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	462506

2) The buggers where trying to make a nest it seems under the intake manifold (lap of luxury and all that I presume) and a few wires beneath there are gnawed on. So I have to remove the intake manifoldand correct any ills and then replace. Now I didnt say there are NO AM dealers in Jamaica, so I am pretty much on my own with this repair. So my secondask: Has ANYONE done this before that can just guide me with tips and tricks while I use the workshop manual to remove. I know I will need to replace the EGR gasket, the intake gasket and o-rings for injectors (cant find these parts anywhere), but are there any other "need to knows" that only experience can bring that I need to be aware of?

3) Does anyone know a better way to remove the 96mm Herbie Clamp that keeps the air intake tube attached to the throttle body?
Name:  32464fc67b1ffd11e2f0c379dfe31f38x.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  44.7 KB

Any help really appreciated folks!!

And the just a pic of the little beauty that I have not been able to drive

Old 11-02-2016, 08:21 PM
pikajew is on a distinguished road
Do you mind if I ask what wheels those are and size?

Old 11-03-2016, 12:23 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pikajew
Do you mind if I ask what wheels those are and size?
Pika------those style wheels in that color would look great on your project!!!

But really think you would be best served by the HRE 101's in dark anthracite.

OP---- I am sure TELUM01 or Irish07 will reply at some point. Congrats on the car, looks great. Close up pics of the tail lip if you can. I just got the V Collection rear lip and haven't seen it personally yet.

Thanks

Old 11-03-2016, 05:43 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I'll remember to hijack your thread with crap when you need help...

Old 11-03-2016, 07:05 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Seriously - Bad form Pikajew. Please remove all the pics. Start a new thread on wheels.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:06 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
The Kingston Wharf is notorious!!! Been there, done that....

For starters, you should see https://www.astonmartintechinfo.com/ The manuals for the car are all available there. There's also a part's manual that you should get.

Secondly, try astonmartinbits.com They are currently showing a used engine loom for £1314.97. (I know you're not trying to purchase a loom, but I just wanted to put that out there).

Also, check scuderia parts for the connector itself. I am sure you can buy just the connector.

Anyhoo, you should be able to get this solved with the wealth of knowledge here, but you have to COME BACK and engage on an interactive basis to gather your info.

Btw, I went to JC in Kingston....

Last edited by terminal_ac; 11-03-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:49 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Connector pin part #418-411-11. Find a 100mm hose clamp oem style Norma brand for your intake.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:21 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
This list will help you with removing the intake manifold. just a suggestion, while waiting for a loom, try cutting into the plug and soldering onto the wire stubs. That should get the car running in the interim.
Good luck

Old 11-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
I'll remember to hijack your thread with crap when you need help...
My apologies, it was 2 am and I wasn't firing on all cylinders. Unintentional to say the least. I've removed the post and there is no need for you to channel vindictive energy my friend. Life is too short.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Old phart
Seriously - Bad form Pikajew. Please remove all the pics. Start a new thread on wheels.
Done. Again, unintentional.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by guyedison
Hi Yah AM owners!!

Well I took the punge recentlyand obtained a 2006 V8V and shipped it to Jamaica. It was starting fine, but it seems on the way over, the rats to a liking to the engine bay and went dining on wires, insulation etc . Got the car, it will crank over, come to life for a brief moment, then die and just keep turning over . So after some sleuthing found a few things:

1) The dined on the wires leading to the fuel rail oressure sensor multiplug connector. Ate clean through two and one really close to the head of the connector. Now I don't fancy coughling up U$4k for an new engine loom. So does ANYONE have a used connector that I can purchase?
Attachment 462506

2) The buggers where trying to make a nest it seems under the intake manifold (lap of luxury and all that I presume) and a few wires beneath there are gnawed on. So I have to remove the intake manifoldand correct any ills and then replace. Now I didnt say there are NO AM dealers in Jamaica, so I am pretty much on my own with this repair. So my secondask: Has ANYONE done this before that can just guide me with tips and tricks while I use the workshop manual to remove. I know I will need to replace the EGR gasket, the intake gasket and o-rings for injectors (cant find these parts anywhere), but are there any other "need to knows" that only experience can bring that I need to be aware of?

3) Does anyone know a better way to remove the 96mm Herbie Clamp that keeps the air intake tube attached to the throttle body?
Attachment 462507

Any help really appreciated folks!!

And the just a pic of the little beauty that I have not been able to drive
And I bought a new engine wiring loom from AMBits for my glass key conversion project. I can't post prices here, but I can say it was a mere fraction of $4K. Email John @ Astonmartinbits . com

Old 11-03-2016, 01:20 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Connector pin part #418-411-11. Find a 100mm hose clamp oem style Norma brand for your intake.

Good stuff!!! He can simply replace the wire/pin inside the connector.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:15 PM
guyedison is an unknown quantity at this point
Had a tough day today. Just getting a chance to login.

Pikajew: No harm, no foul. The wheels are 19" V-sokes from AM. Trust me the 18" wheels dont do justice to the car no matter what AM says. Would love to see pics of your project sometime. Thanks also for the AMbits contact. Will reach out to see that solutions they can offer.

SheriffDep: Will send pics soon. The lip spoiler is a beauty. You should get yours installed. It honestly gives the V8V a positive lift!!

Terminal_ac: Great to know there is another Jamdowner here!! I got everything from AMtechinfo.com and its the workshop manual I will be using to guide me through the intake manifold removal and install. I was reaching out for those experience tips that dont get recorded too well in manuals. So what your poison: AM or Porsche Terminal_ac?

J doubleU: Perfect!! Thanks for the part number for the connector!! Will also looking into the hose clamps!

embdenb: Brilliant suggestion!! Will look into doing that this weekend and see if she starts up! That would certainly make my month to hear her purr!!

Thanks everyone for your contributions. Will provide updates on how this goes!!

Old 11-03-2016, 05:39 PM
Pikajew: ...Would love to see pics of your project sometime. Thanks also for the AMbits contact. Will reach out to see that solutions they can offer.
Sure, the thread is here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/395781-s-alive.html

I've spent many months sourcing parts, and finding custom solutions so if you ever have any questions let me know.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:12 PM
So what your poison: AM or Porsche Terminal_ac?

This is me....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.