Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Lowering Springs for Trackdays

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Mansfield is an unknown quantity at this point
Lowering Springs for Trackdays

Im looking at changing the springs on my 2007 V8 Vantage for something more suitable for spirited road driving and the odd trackday.

I see Velocity AP do some progressive springs and also H&R to go with the dampers i have. (The dampers are in good condition and have covered just over 10,000 miles)

Is there anyone here that has gone this route and would share your experiences with them on track?

Cheers

Last edited by Mansfield; 04-09-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:14 PM
zypher84 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mansfield
Im looking at changing the springs on my 2007 V8 Vantage for something more suitable for spirited road driving and the odd trackday.

I see Velocity AP do some progressive springs and also H&R to go with the dampers i have. (The dampers are in good condition and have covered just over 10,000 miles)

Is there anyone here that has gone this route and would share your experiences with them on track?

Cheers
haven't tracked mine yet but the Velocity AP springs provide noticeably better handling on the road. they are a bit more than the advertised 7/8" lowering though just fyi.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:38 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Not sure you need to lower the car to be effective at the track. The stock suspension on these vantages is pretty darn good for the occasional track day. Instead you need to concentrate on better brake fluids and better brake pads. The guy you want to talk to is Rich from redpants. He has a 2007 vantage that he regularly takes to the track.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
I've been happy with the H&R springs on track, but they can be tough to live with on the street because they're really low. I'm fine with the trade-off, because the car looks amazing with the lowered stance and the on-track performance has been great so far. But it's hard to recommend them because you really do need to be careful driving with them on the street.
A lot of people also complain about the 'pogo effect' they have with Sport Pack dampers, so I'd avoid the H&R springs if you have those dampers on your car.
I've got a couple sets of coilovers in development right now and they should be ready for me to test at Lime Rock this summer. Hoping to get a nice balance of track performance, street-drivability, and cost.
Haven't used the VelocityAP springs, so unfortunately I can't comment on those.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
We've had lots of people track their cars with our springs, who have had great success so far, and lots of feedback on improved handling on both the road and track.

If you're looking for a nice improvement without breaking the bank, these are the way to go.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 04-11-2017, 04:46 AM
Mansfield is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Stuart, it would be nice to hear the feed back from these drivers as your springs could save me a lot compared to new coilovers.

Things like how is the balance of the car, how does the standard damper cope with the uprated springs (rebound in particular) and are there any issues with wheel arch rubbing etc?

These issues probably go unnoticed on the road.

Cheers

Old 04-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-launch-2.html

There's some reviews in there you could look at, and there are several 6speeders who have tracked their cars with our springs fitted. Hopefully they will be willing to comment. So far no complaints.

No rubbing on stock wheel/tire combos, aftermarket or upsized ones you're probably going to need to check out the offsets and so on. One neat thing about the tapered rod progressive rate: It allows the compressed rate to be nice and high when loaded and cornering, but when you start looking at rebound it comes into its own.

When the spring becomes extended, you hit a much lower spring rate, and the damper is able to control bound/rebound very effectively.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 04-13-2017, 07:42 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Coilovers will always be a better solution than springs. But also a lot more expensive!

Old 04-15-2017, 06:48 PM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mansfield

Cheers
I have a set of used H&Rs for sale that will fit your car if you want them - I put them on my V8VS and there was a suspension miss match - I have coilovers on mine now.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
I guess not a good enough car guy and understand. But why not just invest in a sports package for your car...Safer to me than mix and match...Hoping to get good results....Couple vendors on here sell...Good luck whatever way you decide...

Old 04-22-2017, 06:57 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Aldv
I guess not a good enough car guy and understand. But why not just invest in a sports package for your car...Safer to me than mix and match...Hoping to get good results....Couple vendors on here sell...Good luck whatever way you decide...
The one great advantage of coil overs is adjustability. Good coil overs will allow adjustment for spring rate and ride height at each wheel. This ability is what makes then desirable for serious track use.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hey...Thanks...It makes sense for less drag in a straight but does it help lateral in curves? I thought AM came out with the sports package so everything body..wheels..Structs etc...Worked together to flex together in curves and low enough in straight runs to hold the road...Is buying just one part of this system enough to make the performance worth the cost? Still learning and really appreciate your reply...My son is out of town when he gets back I will discuss as he tracks his Mustang often...Please enjoy your weekend..

Old 04-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
The full Sport Pack is actually one hell of a deal:
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/v8-vantage-sport-pack

I've been told by the factory that the coilovers do not actually lower the car though, so if you want to lower the car, the Sport Pack won't have any effect.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:37 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Aldv
Hey...Thanks...It makes sense for less drag in a straight but does it help lateral in curves? I thought AM came out with the sports package so everything body..wheels..Structs etc...Worked together to flex together in curves and low enough in straight runs to hold the road...Is buying just one part of this system enough to make the performance worth the cost? Still learning and really appreciate your reply...My son is out of town when he gets back I will discuss as he tracks his Mustang often...Please enjoy your weekend..
The AM Sport Pack is really about matching firmer dampers to firmer springs, and reducing body roll with sway bars. It's a good system.

That said, the non-sportpack setup, with an appropriately matched spring that lowers the car a little and gives a firmer loaded spring rate will get you a large part of the way there for a fraction of the price.

One of the advantages to our progressive spring rate setup is that it allows for a much firmer rate - crisper handling, turn-in and so on, but without compromising ride quality or mismatching spring & damper rates.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 PM
Stuart...Thank you taking a few minutes to explain...Both you and Rich and others help us here to better understand different terms and explore new products.
On these cars and others ...Cost can be an issue... Another solution to upgrade.... Evening

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.