Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Brake service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 02:06 PM
Rouselb is on a distinguished road
Brake service

Looking to change the pads on a 2012 DB9, is there anything special that I need to know? Rear pads worn more than front. Does anyone know if you can put the Brembo pads on the factory caliper/rotor?

Last edited by Rouselb; 04-14-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:56 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Nothing special with the pad or the change process, just the usual of remove retaining pins, the spring, backing plate etc.

I dont know the part # off the top of my head, but brembo probably sells them, and there are many superior and better priced products from our vendors on here.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:15 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
If you want less brake dust try Porterfield R4S pads.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:46 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Brake pads are easy, just make sure you clean everything and use anti-squeal. Here's a write up:
http://www.redpants.lol/brake-pad-replacement/

Some brake pad options if you don't want OEM, all of which I've used and can answer any questions on:
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/?category=Brakes

I can get OEM pads as well but most people I talk to don't care for them. Happy to help if you've got any questions!

Last edited by Redpants; 04-16-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:39 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Redpants
Brake pads are easy, just make sure you clean everything and use anti-squeal. Here's a write up:
http://www.redpants.lol/brake-pad-replacement/

Some brake pad options if you don't want OEM, all of which I've used and can answer any questions on:
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/?category=Brakes

I can get OEM pads as well but most people I talk to don't care for them. Happy to help if you've got any questions!
Rich,

The passenger side rear makes a brake squealing noise (chirping) as the car rolls forward. Slow speeds without brake pressure you can hear it loudly. Its embarrassing. IYO what do you think I could do to eliminate that. Pull the wheel and reseat the pads on the caliper and the maybe emergency caliper also? Cant remember if the emergency calipers are on both rear sides. I tried hitting brakes hard to seat them better, etc.... (I do think I remember being able to pull the emergency handle up a bit and the noise went away). Any thoughts.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
On my 09 Vantage, the oem pads are only about half worn (12.5K miles). I am thinking of changing these out for Porterfield R4S pads to reduce the the constant brake dust produced by the oem pads.
The rotors look fine but should I have them lightly turned (if that is even possible with slotted rotors) if new pads are installed?

Old 04-16-2017, 01:10 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I need a dustless solution soon. 80% of the dirt on my car is always brake dust. I would love to know if there's a consensus pad that's, dustless, and squealless. It would be a bonus if they stopped good too, but I'll take dustless and squealless!

Old 04-16-2017, 06:30 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I need a dustless solution soon. 80% of the dirt on my car is always brake dust. I would love to know if there's a consensus pad that's, dustless, and squealless. It would be a bonus if they stopped good too, but I'll take dustless and squealless!

Porterfield R4S pads.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:02 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Rich,

The passenger side rear makes a brake squealing noise (chirping) as the car rolls forward. Slow speeds without brake pressure you can hear it loudly. Its embarrassing. IYO what do you think I could do to eliminate that. Pull the wheel and reseat the pads on the caliper and the maybe emergency caliper also? Cant remember if the emergency calipers are on both rear sides. I tried hitting brakes hard to seat them better, etc.... (I do think I remember being able to pull the emergency handle up a bit and the noise went away). Any thoughts.
That's the handbrake pad, nothing with the main brake system will affect it.

You can try pulling the handbrake pads and cleaning/increasing the chamfer on them. Buildup there can cause the chirping. And/or, you can add anti-squeal to the back of the pads, or use something like the BG no-squeal stuff.

I've gotten rid of the chirp, at least temporarily, but using the handbrake while driving in reverse.

Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
The Porterfield R4-S is definitely the right pad if you want silent and dust-free:
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/porterf...4-s-brake-pads

They stop great in 99% of situations. The only time I found them lacking was on the track, in high-speed braking zones (say, end of a long straight going into a sharp turn). I switched to more aggressive pads in my grey '07 V8V (I'm using Hawk HPS 5.0 pads for street driving, and Porterfield R4 pads for track use), and I'll be running the R4-S on my red V8V. If you aren't doing any track days, the R4-S is a fantastic pad.

Last edited by Redpants; 04-16-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Yea...Brake dust is crazy. Today I took the wife out for a ride and a Vette came up on me quick....I played a little...Corners on my car are great...It had the new software upgrade put on in 09...Poor Vette I lost him in the corners...Later my son visits and asks about the black wheels...Haha..I made him clean the wheels...I bet he will not remark like a smart a$$ again...lol

Old 04-17-2017, 12:11 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Redpants

The Porterfield R4-S is definitely the right pad if you want silent and dust-free:
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/porterf...4-s-brake-pads

They stop great in 99% of situations. The only time I found them lacking was on the track, in high-speed braking zones (say, end of a long straight going into a sharp turn). I switched to more aggressive pads in my grey '07 V8V (I'm using Hawk HPS 5.0 pads for street driving, and Porterfield R4 pads for track use), and I'll be running the R4-S on my red V8V. If you aren't doing any track days, the R4-S is a fantastic pad.

I will do a track day or 2 a year. Why is the R4 your choice over the R4-S? And what keeps the Hawks from being the solution? Squeal or dust?

Old 04-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Banned
The R4 and R4-S are completely different pads.
-The R4-S is a street pad. It has practically no dust and is completely silent, but it doesn't hold up to the intense heat of hard braking - the kind of braking you should never encounter on the street unless you're doing something very illegal. So I typically recommend these for people that want a street-only pad.
-The R4 is a track/race pad. Its braking performance is amazing on the track, but they dust and squeal like crazy so they aren't a good street pad. Yes, you can use them on the street, but they aren't very good for it.

The Hawk HPS 5.0 is somewhere in the middle. They dust more than the R4-S, but nowhere near as much as the R4. They also don't have the ear-splitting squeal of the R4, so they're a great street pad. They hold up to heavy braking better than the R4-S, so they're better on track. The downside is they do have noticeably more dust than the R4-S.

A lot of people don't need braking performance beyond that of the R4-S, so there's no reason to get any other pad.
Some people are using the R4-S on the street and swapping in the R4 when going to the track - you get the best of both worlds but with the downside of added effort to switch back and forth between the pads.
And then there's the HPS 5.0, which is a compromise pad - it can handle both track and street, but isn't the best in any specific measure. The R4-S is a better street pad and the R4 is a better track pad, but the HPS 5.0 can do both.

I'm using the R4-S on my red car because it won't be doing any track duty anytime soon. I'm using the HPS 5.0 on my grey car for street driving because I do a several rallies and track days each year, so those pads can handle whatever I throw at it, and I've got a set of R4 pads for when I want to get silly with the braking power.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Did you miss the thread where we're all doing 140?

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. I will get just as stupid as the next when on a closed course [and stupider than most on the street] but I'm not swapping out pads for the adventure and the R4-S sounds like it will cure my biggest complaints. Expect an order!

Old 04-17-2017, 01:03 PM
Banned
Glad to help!

Um, my lawyer has advised me to not discuss the 170mph (indicated) that my grey car may or may not have reached (closed course in Mexico, professional driver, do not attempt)

Old 04-17-2017, 01:45 PM
After looking at the picture comparison on your site it looks like the S would work as well in a 2 piston caliper, there's so much less pad in contact.

With the decreased contact patch how do the R4-S stand up to factory pads in performance?

And the HPS pads, how much less dust is there compared to factory?

The R4 is not an option because of the dust, but I I do have BG Stop Squeal that I was going to use on the factory pads. Would a better performing pad with the BG be an alternative? Or bottom line I'm underestimating how good the performance is with the R4-S?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.