Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

ECU Buttons came off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 01:21 PM
Ekaplan1020 is a jewel in the roughEkaplan1020 is a jewel in the roughEkaplan1020 is a jewel in the rough
ECU Buttons came off

The ECU "engine" and "start" button halves have both come off of the ECU unit on my Vantage. It looks like they were glued before and I was wanting to reattach them, but wasn't sure if there were any recommendations on the best way to do that. Since the pieces are clear, I am assuming the glue may show through if it isn't the right product.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ethan

Old 04-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
They're not supposed to be able to come through the openings on the key... I'm guessing someone trimmed them to pull them out and then glued them back in or something.

They should be just large enough to not fit through their openings (though they will fall out when you remove the key case).

Old 04-27-2017, 07:59 PM
Ekaplan1020 is a jewel in the roughEkaplan1020 is a jewel in the roughEkaplan1020 is a jewel in the rough
I was talking about the clear halves on the actual ignition area where you insert thr ECU. Those are the things that popped off.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:05 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Confused? Post a picture...I am guessing you are talking about where the fob goes in the dash?

Old 04-27-2017, 08:08 PM
Sorry I should have been more clear. Here is what I am talking about.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:13 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
As long as the fob works...Relax...Next contact Rich..Stuart..Or go to AMBits and buy a new part...If you are really cheap...Use a magic marker and write back on...Just teasing! Good luck

Old 04-28-2017, 08:39 AM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
For what it's worth I had the same piece (just half) come off but it was replaced under warranty. You could try asking a dealer what to do.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:56 AM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Mine came off and I replaced the upper and lower half through AMBits.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:15 AM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
Mine came off and I replaced the upper and lower half through AMBits.
Do you recall the part numbers? I have the "Engine" half on top, but not the "Start" on the bottom. Do the pieces just pop in? Thanks.

Edit: Found the parts on AMbits. 119 pounds for the "Start" insert. I see why the previous owner went without it.

Last edited by davidm17; 04-28-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:49 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
It depresses me when people want to drive works of art, but not maintain them. :/

Old 04-28-2017, 09:55 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by davidm17
Do you recall the part numbers? I have the "Engine" half on top, but not the "Start" on the bottom. Do the pieces just pop in? Thanks.

Edit: Found the parts on AMbits. 119 pounds for the "Start" insert. I see why the previous owner went without it.
You can purchase just the part you need. I don't know the part number but just look on AMBits and you can easily find it. You will need to remove the entire ECU from the rear and the new piece will slide into place from the rear. It is not a difficult install.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:18 PM
Mmm...ok
black magic marker for top piece
Red magic marker for bottom piece
or fix correct and pay the 💰
It would bug me looking at that scratched mess...
Post up ...someone may have used cheap
Good luck

Old 04-29-2017, 02:26 PM
Timodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to beholdTimodc is a splendid one to behold
I have fixed several of these and you can hardly tell they were broken... If you still have the engine and start glass pieces, order a roll of "Tesa clear double sided tape". Clean the back side of the glass pieces off really well and lay them flat on the tape. Trim with an exacto knife and fit them to the docking station Bezel. If you don't have the pieces, PM me- I may have some in my toolbox.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Timodc
I have fixed several of these and you can hardly tell they were broken... If you still have the engine and start glass pieces, order a roll of "Tesa clear double sided tape". Clean the back side of the glass pieces off really well and lay them flat on the tape. Trim with an exacto knife and fit them to the docking station Bezel. If you don't have the pieces, PM me- I may have some in my toolbox.
I do have the pieces. Thanks for the info! I'll get some tape and give it a go.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:15 AM
Ashton Martian is an unknown quantity at this point
Resurrecting this old thread since I have the same issue. How did the taping go? I've also been trying to remove the bezel from the ski slope on my 2014 V8 Vantage S so I can remove the pieces that are there and replace them, but it's proving very difficult. There are a couple of tabs inside that need to be pushed in and released in order to pull the bezel out. Aston has a special tool to do this (part 43-28335) as well as a technical bulletin describing its use (SB-01-0426). That would seem to be the easiest way to remove it, but the tool costs $235 US and that is a little expensive for a tool I'll likely use only once (but cheaper than the bezel part!). Would anyone have any suggestions about removing the piece without the special tool?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Buttons came off